What to wear in Dubai?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bmulford, May 23, 2008.

1. haganah

haganah Senior member

2. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Why do Arabs take note of the size of a management man's wardrobe? Is that just in Dubai or in some other subset of places where Arabs live, or is this somehow true of Arabs in general?
    People in Dubai are quite shallow and tend to be very concerned with appearances and asserting their status in the social hierarchy. Wear a suit and tie if you want to be taken seriously. But all the suits and ties can't save you if you have the wrong skin color. Gulf Arabs are notorious for looking down their noses at pretty much all other races.

3. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

Why do Arabs take note of the size of a management man's wardrobe?

Is that just in Dubai or in some other subset of places where Arabs live, or is this somehow true of Arabs in general?

Don't know why you think this is limited to the arabs? Dress and accessories as a means of conveying status happens in many many cultures. In some ways, the US is the exception. But even here, there are many tribes where one shows status by the appropriate dress. The preps (trad?) have the buttondowns, tassel loafers etc. Until this look was mass marketed by RL, it showed a belonging to a particular status and lifestyle.
    The ostentatious habit of displaying bling is another such manifestation.
    The size/paintjob of your pickup truck or the quality of you reptile skin boots.
    At another level, it is not just where you live, but what clubs you belong to.
    Another is what charity events one gets invited to.

A friend who is in business told me that the reason the host of their meeting came out to see him off was not just politeness but a way of determining the car my friend had arrived in. He said that when times are tight, he make sure that his family is travelling business or first class and to the right destinations. Apparently, the perception of not having dough is the kiss of death in his business. Many of these "little things" are gently pried either from him or his wife at the social gatherings. Strange world he lives in, but he does do very well financially.

=

4. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

When they stop beating their workers (read indentured servants) for misconduct I'll move them up a notch, one stop closer to us.

You mean countries will actually beat workers (read indentured workers i.e. read slaves)?? What a horrible idea!! How about if I take someones land and they put them on reservations, but make sure they have enough alcohol and the lowest possible level of education...? How about putting a certain sect in different area...lets call them...ummm...other side of the railroad tracks? Heaven forbid they drive with a taillight broken..lets then beat the crap out of them, maybe put them in jail...an inordinate percentage of them!! Come on, its *Fair and Balanced*, cos I say it is.
    Naw I really dont think they are losing any sleep cos they arnt one step closer to us....LOL, neither are the Chinese or the Indians....or the Europeans for that matter. Our moral bar aint the highest friend......[​IMG]
    I dont think they care to be closer to us, no matter how much you want to convince yourself of that....[​IMG]
    I have lived there for 2 years a long time ago...they did respect us at one time, but they always seemed to be enamoured by the British for some reason.
    On a more sober note, there is good and bad in every society. I pray each one of us can take care of our family in the best possible way. Amen.

Regards.

5. FidelCashflow

Don't know why you think this is limited to the arabs? Dress and accessories as a means of conveying status happens in many many cultures. In some ways, the US is the exception. But even here, there are many tribes where one shows status by the appropriate dress. The preps (trad?) have the buttondowns, tassel loafers etc. Until this look was mass marketed by RL, it showed a belonging to a particular status and lifestyle.
    The ostentatious habit of displaying bling is another such manifestation.
    The size/paintjob of your pickup truck or the quality of you reptile skin boots.
    At another level, it is not just where you live, but what clubs you belong to.
    Another is what charity events one gets invited to.

A friend who is in business told me that the reason the host of their meeting came out to see him off was not just politeness but a way of determining the car my friend had arrived in. He said that when times are tight, he make sure that his family is travelling business or first class and to the right destinations. Apparently, the perception of not having dough is the kiss of death in his business. Many of these "little things" are gently pried either from him or his wife at the social gatherings. Strange world he lives in, but he does do very well financially.

=

True, this happens in lots of places, but in Dubai it's a much more prevalent and deeply ingrained attitude than most other countries.

I had a friend who just got back from a short stint there and his co-workers (all guys just out of university) were discussing cars that managers drive and one of them proudly declared "I would never take orders from someone who doesn't drive a BMW or better." And no one batting an eye. [​IMG]

6. oscarthewild

I'd be interested - I'll be there later this week, and I always have trouble finding foo I want to eat there.

A little rusty, but if you go to the Millennium Dubai Airport Hotel from the airport, (< a 5 min drive) you go over the flyover that is at the center of this map(intersecion of D89 and E11 roads). Under the flyover, in the NW segment is a restaurant. The restaurant closes around midnight or so. But there is a cafeteria that serves food primarily to taxi drivers from the continent. It is open all night.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...24633&t=h&z=15

I was once flying through Dubai and had an overnight stay at the hotel. Had remembered this place from my last visit there and wanted to get some food at 3 am. Well I walk over and and realize that I do not have much US or UAE money. Had a bunch of Deutche marks. and the credit card. I asked him if they took credit cards. He said the the CC machine was locked up in the hotel for hte night. Then I told him that I had Marks. They did not accept those. I was disappointed and started walking out, the guy says, " you are hungry, you want food, eat now and pay me later" I told him that I was just passing through Dubai. He said, "Just pay me next time you are coming through here". I told him that it may not be for a year or two. He said, "no problem, just eat what you want, and pay me when you can. Send me payment later if that makes you happy, but you are here now and you want to eat. So sit down and eat what your heart desires." or something like that. So I order a dish or two and when I finish, I get the bill. It was for like $3.25 . I had not expected such a small bill but the food there was cheap and good. Remembered that I had kept a $5 dollar bill in the front pocket of my back pack. Took it out and gave it to him. Told him, that I had enough to cover the bill. He said, that if that was my last money, then to hold on to it cause I might need it in my onward journey. I had to insist to have him take my payment.

7. oscarthewild

People in Dubai are quite shallow and tend to be very concerned with appearances and asserting their status in the social hierarchy. Wear a suit and tie if you want to be taken seriously. But all the suits and ties can't save you if you have the wrong skin color. Gulf Arabs are notorious for looking down their noses at pretty much all other races.

At one level, yes. It is an artificially and rapidly created society so the hierarchies that get established are still being formed. Racism is much more than the US.
    Your salary depends on not just your qualifications but your nationality and ethnicity. So with a PhD from Harvard or Stanford, your salary offer will depend on wheter you have a US/Euro/White country passport or a developing country one. Had an acquaintance, who was a naturalized US citizen. Because he was not white, they did not want to give him the same benefits as to a similarly qualified white guy!

Give them time, they will learn.

However, one on one, discussions can be enlightening. Meet many arabs, who are very progressive and well educated. Here it is your intellect and your knowledge that carry weight, not the carat of diamonds in your rolex.

8. FidelCashflow

Had an acquaintance, who was a naturalized US citizen. Because he was not white, they did not want to give him the same benefits as to a similarly qualified white guy!

However, one on one, discussions can be enlightening. Meet many arabs, who are very progressive and well educated. Here it is your intellect and your knowledge that carry weight, not the carat of diamonds in your rolex.

I'm sure some are well-educated and easy to deal with, but I suspect they are still a minority. Many of them often they refer to foreigners workers as "miskeen" which literally translated means "beggars" [​IMG]

It's no secret they discriminate big-time based on race. I had yet another friend go for a job interview with a multi-national company in Dubai. The Scottish senior manager flatly told him "you can have the job, but if an Emirati ever asks for your job, you'll be fired the same day." My buddy decided not to take the job.

When I went, everyone treated me like gold which was not what I was expecting from arabs... then I found out why. While I was shopping at Harvey Nichols, a Lebanese salesperson walked up to me and said "Keef halak?" I responded I don't speak arabic which surprised him. He responded "You don't speak Arabic? But... aren't you a Saudi???"

I guess I just have that look. [​IMG]

9. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Don't know why you think this is limited to the arabs?
    I was paraphrasing earlier comments, FWIW. Also note that some communities & even whole cultures are much more hierarchically-minded than others. I think it's wrong to insist that human nature is so hard-wired and so much the same everywhere that something like status-consciousness is also the same everywhere. It's not. Some American preppies may be as you describe, but on the whole Americans, with their egalitarianism and individualism, are perhaps the most oblivious set of people when it comes to noting and minding "their place." Hence the low, careless, and thoughtless standards of dress which prevail in the USA, I think, as much or more than they do in other parts of the world. I don't want to get into a debate about which culture is better, or whether communities without much individualism are happier or more oppressed than more egalitarian communities. It sounds like some people experience this "Arab eye for wardrobe size" as a Dubai thing, and others as an Arab thing. Interesting observations either way and helpful advice for those who are traveling to Dubai

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Why do Arabs take note of the size of a management man's wardrobe?

Is that just in Dubai or in some other subset of places where Arabs live, or is this somehow true of Arabs in general?

I have a cousin who lives in UAE, and I've been meaning to ask her that myself. I've heard that in some Arab countries that most people wear very similar attire, and status is in the details (such as expensive watches, etc.).

actually, that is sort of two different things. the locals in the gulf wear clothing that we may consider pretty much identical, and the details are very important - a small detail, like the cuff or a tassel hanging from the neck will tell what country they are from, and the quality of the fabric will give a good indication of the status. it is very very difficlut for a person who is not involved in the culture to read all of the symbols.

in terms of suits - arabs are pretty observant about what you are wearing, and will notice if you wear the same suit repeatedly. I found this out when a guy who worked for me told me that every year for a specific 4 day trade show, he bought 4 new suits, each with a distictive pattern. a diffirent guy told me that he did the same thing, and I got into a discussion about it.

11. scientific

scientific Senior member

this post is disgraceful. what self-respecting capitalist would think for 2 seconds (if not to laugh) about the barbaric tribal customs of some 3rd world country he was visiting? unless you fashion yourself the 2nd coming of Laurence of Arabia you should dress as usual and practice showing your scorn for the animals you will encounter daily.

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

&quot;scorn for the animals you encounter daily&quot;??!!

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

This brings to mind something I read on the &quot;old&quot; AskAndy by the poster known as Udeshi. He says he was at some kind of Italian fashion fair--Pitti Uomo maybe--and had lingered at one of the stalls, asking questions. The proprietor didn't take him seriously as he was presumably rather young.

When the proprietor took out a cigarette, our hero lit it with a vintage Dunhill lighter, which got the proprietor's respect.

14. mikej77

mikej77 Senior member

When they stop beating their workers (read indentured servants) for misconduct I'll move them up a notch, one stop closer to us.

The same thing happens every day in factories thoughout America where illegal immigrants are employed. I spent 6 months living in Dubai when I was assigned for work. It was clean and safe. However, anytime you travel overseas you need to use common sense and exercise caution. Consider there have been more bombings in London and Spain than there have been in Dubai. In any environment you are more likely to be a target for street criminals (picketpockets, muggings, etc) than a terrorist attack or kidnapping.

15. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I wouldn`t be so sure they would appreciate you moving them up a notch for being one stop closer to us. They might view it as a notch down [​IMG]