• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear in Dubai?

coogie

Reaction score
dubai is currently EXTREMELY hot.

dress with caution. Go naked if you can!

khaki sack

Reaction score
It is acceptable ,in the Middle East to wear a cotton khaki suit, sack style.

Like my ,aviatar
<------------------

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
yes. I haven't ever heard anybody discuss that about timepieces, although it stands to reason, I guess. Suits I know. have fun.
I wore the same watch every day when I was there - don't think it had an adverse effect on my deal. The suit thing is true though - I wore a different suit every day (was only there for 3 days though). I wouldn't wear a cotton khaki sack. Not formal enough.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are going to be pleasantly surprised that the civilized world extends that far outside the boundry of our country..
Travel is the best education. Enjoy your stay!!

Regards.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with something like this:

indiana_jones_02_header.jpg

Travels really well, too.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
Thanks for that tip. I presume the less often I repeat, the better? Same with timepieces?

One may not need variety, but the quality may be scrutinized. Rolex with diamonds - no problems. Also pens. Mont Blanc ++ is preferred. This is the place to break out that briefcase you thought was a little too much. Ostrich??

Will you be taking gifts? In my opinion either good quality western (made in USA) stuff, belt buckles and adjustable belts, or for the more sophisticated hosts, either Stueben glass or something from a museum store (Frank Lloyd Wright etc) works well.

Dubai is also not very cheap any more but you prob have an expense account. I use my Dubai trips to also eat "street food" from cultures where I would now be afraid of eating and getting stomach bugs. Let me know if you want more info.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha ha... I love how everyone buys into the idea that they are civilized because they have office buildings, fancy houses and good shopping.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Ha ha... I love how everyone buys into the idea that they are civilized because they have office buildings, fancy houses and good shopping.

I know what you mean.....kinda like how everyone buys into the same idea just cos we have fancy houses, office buildings and good shopping.
crackup[1].gif

Regards.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
I use my Dubai trips to also eat "street food" from cultures where I would now be afraid of eating and getting stomach bugs. Let me know if you want more info.

I'd be interested - I'll be there later this week, and I always have trouble finding foo I want to eat there.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you'll have no trouble with lightweight, high quality suiting in Dubai. It's like going to vegas in the heat of summer-- unless you're walking between locations, you're in air conditioned elegant buildings.

I wouldn't wear cotton suits, just lightweight wool. I'd go dark colors myself, and stay indoors-- after work, trousers or khakis and good sport shirts or a nice blue or white linen shirt might be good. As others have pointed out, UAE is an extremely RICH country, with big business, great restaurants, and some of the best hotels on the planet earth. Do me a favor and check out the Brioni store in Dubai, (I think it is in the SAS Radisson Hotel) see what you think of it and let us know.

http://www.ameinfo.com/154924.html

I'd probably spend most of my trip hanging around Burj al Arab if I were you, lots to do and see-- although all of the hotels appear to be lux and have interesting things to do and places to eat (including steakhouses, although I prefer to eat lebanese and some persian fare while in the middle east, GREAT food)

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do Arabs take note of the size of a management man's wardrobe?

Is that just in Dubai or in some other subset of places where Arabs live, or is this somehow true of Arabs in general?

BBRex

Reaction score
I have a cousin who lives in UAE, and I've been meaning to ask her that myself. I've heard that in some Arab countries that most people wear very similar attire, and status is in the details (such as expensive watches, etc.).

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
I know what you mean.....kinda like how everyone buys into the same idea just cos we have fancy houses, office buildings and good shopping.
crackup[1].gif

Regards.

When they stop beating their workers (read indentured servants) for misconduct I'll move them up a notch, one stop closer to us.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads