• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear if you're unattractive

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
??? Max are you attracted to men?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He does seems to have very strange preferences.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not consider homosexuality to be either a "preference" or "strange." However, I also did not infer any "preferences" from the posting.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
He does seems to have very strange preferences.

what's so strange? do you think this is a site only for hetrosexuals?

seen

Reaction score
That's true. The Fab 5 probably browse this site. Especially Carson Kressley.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm open to people of all sexual orientations, but Max seems to alternate between talking about women and men.
I find this confusing, and my question is just a personal one to clear things up.

edit: He admits his orientation in a previous post.

rip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hotspur
I have been wondering lately if it is worth trying to dress nice if you belong to the so-called genetic lower class. I pose this question particularly to those currently attending a university. Reguardless of your success in academics, or how fit or wealthy you may be; is there purpose in drawing attention to yourself with attractive clothing if you yourself are not so. I recently found myself at a fraternity that I usually do not goto, and was amoungst a crowd of attractive, very outgoing people who immediately made me feel self conscious. I do not think that I am unattractive, but when you find yourself amoung a class of very unaverage people, it can easily seem so. Sometimes I feel like it may almost be a mockery, to try and look nice when the first feature everyone notices is something you cannot change by how you dress. On the other hand there is no virtue in dressing like a slob. What are your opinions on this?
I would suggest that you take the money a fine wardrobe would cost and apply it to the cost of therapy for your self-esteem, or the absence thereof. A course in genetics might also be appropriate to dispell your notion of a "genetic lower class".

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as self-esteem goes, "fake it 'til you make it" is not a bad cliche to adopt. Go to some club or bar off-campus where you don't know anyone and where you can feel relatively safe in experimenting, and just "act" like you have self-confidence.

Before you go, in your mind's eye, imagine an actor who looks and sounds exactly like you, except that he interacts with people in the confident, self-assured manner that you aspire to. Play around with that image in your mind until it's clear, and then go out one night, and "play" that character in real life, as if you're doing an acting exercise. It will help you start to develop a new way of interacting.

Be patient with yourself, though, if you're used to carrying yourself a particular way, it won't change permanently overnight, but you can train yourself to develop a different physical presence, and that can help shift your mental attitude.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As many have said, personality and presence trump looks. I also think that a great speaking voice and nice laugh do wonders for anyone. The good news is that a little speech/vocal coaching can help just about anyone achieve a nice vocal presence.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's an unfortunate assertion about appearance in this thread. Many people would be upset to read the research papers about how socially significant appearance is.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant.com
There's an unfortunate assertion about appearance in this thread. Many people would be upset to read the research papers about how socially significant appearance is.

What do you mean? I'd be interested if you'd elaborate, though it's likely to be controversial. I don't read the literature in the area; all I've seen are a few "tests" done by news magazines, where the better-looking subjects are almost universally better-treated. I consider this "evidence" to be anecdotal at best. Are these results supported by real studies, with real controls?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Have you tried that line in one of gorgekko's bars?
Lines are for losers.
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant.com
I don't think anyone said that attractiveness wasn't important or how much of a role it plays, I think we're all just saying that walking around thinking you're the ugly duckling doesn't serve much of a purpose. You've already lost the battle if you walk into every social situation thinking that you're the loser in the room.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
Lines are for losers.

That's not a bad line
devil.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
That's not a bad line
devil.gif

I'm in a conundrum. If I use it, I'll be using a line. If I don't use it, it's obvious wisdom is unstated.

Sigh. See, if I was a pretty boy, I could make a decision...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads