• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear for the 2nd job interview ?

James.L

Reaction score
Good day

I would need advice on what to wear for my second job interview, let's settle the background :

I'm a 29 year old engineer. Until now I have never been interested in appearance or whatsoever, except in rare formal occasions.

I have dressed mostly as a homeless man until now. Inproving these last years by usually wearing a pair of blue jeans and button down shirts.

Now I have the opportunity of a lifetime to get into a much more serious business, and for that job, I'll be representing the company on the international level. Business class flights and fancy hotels, sounds line "Up in the air" movie scenario !

I have went through a first screening process, then a second one, then I met my yet-to-be manager in an interview.

For that interview I wore the only suit I had, a black C&A 100€ suit ....
With a burgundy red shirt and a striped tie in the same colour palette.

Interview went well, and now they want to see me for the final one. That's almost it, I have a foot inside already and just need this final step to make.

On first interview, the manager complimented me on the suit, but also said that next time it's not necessary to have the full suit-and-tie apparel, they have a more casual look when in the office.

He was wearing a dark blue pair of trousers, with a light blue shirt and a black leather belt with black shoes

After the interview we had some mails, and today he told me that he will introduce me to the CEO (who's the only person above him)

So there I am, completely confused and not sleeping about what should I wear.
- Should I listen to this manager and wear a more casual outfit ? ( i am thinking about grey trousers with grey waistjacket, a discrete blue tie and brown suede shoes)

- Or should I stick with a suit (i have only 1 free day to go out shopping .... ) and try to impress the Big Boss ?

If you can share some pictures of perfect outfits for this occasion, it would be even better

Also, please note that this happens in Belgium, were outfits are not as important as in America. However, it is an american company !

(And please forgive any grammar mistake, it is not my mother tongue)

Thanks in advance.

ThomGault

Reaction score
I'd probably follow the manager's advice and aim for business casual. While normally I'd stick with a suit regardless, if the 2nd highest employee says to dress down, I'd dress down. In this way you both follow instructions and create a non-verbal bond with the manager (and presumably the CEO, too.) I'm guessing you don't have a blazer or sport coat? And there's not time to have a new jacket tailored anyway. If I were in your position, I'd try to mirror what the manager wore during your first interview. Do you have navy trousers and a lighter color long-sleeved shirt? If not, the grey trousers will work.
Any shoes that aren't suede?
I probably wouldn't wear the vest, as it's part of a more formal outfit that you don't have.

Last edited:

James.L

Reaction score
Hello Thom and thanks for you answer.

Mimicking what the manager wore is exactly what my wife said, you then confirm that women can't be wrong :lol:

I don't have navy trousers, but can have them by then, I'll need to suit up my wardrobe if i get hired anyway.
Blue long-sleeved shirt : check
About the shoes : I only have two classic pairs, one is the pair that I wore with the suit on the first interview, are black leather square-toed ones ( and after investigation, turns out that stylish people say they're the worst choice ever :lol: ) and the second one is a recent purchase, very nicely shaped dark brown suede, similar to these :
1344850205_z1.jpg

A third option would be a purchase, but I'm not willing to spend hundreds and hundreds for that day, if at the end I don't get hired. So let's keep it as a backup solution :smile:

Also when he told me to dress down last week, he said that for regular office days, but when travelling abroad suit and tie are mandatory :nodding:

Maybe he's testing me, like "Okay, I'll tell him to come casually dressed next time, but I'm also telling him afterwards that he's going to meet company's #1, let's see what he does"

I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking a bit, but for this job, failure is not an option, I want it ! And I don't want my outfit to be a source of stress that day. Meeting the CEO alone is already enough psychological pressure.

Thanks for the good advice, I'll follow it :fonz:

Oh and last question : tie or not tie ? Manager didn't have one during the interview

Thanks. !

ThomGault

Reaction score
I'd aim for the formal side of business casual, to show that you can be casual, but still recognizing that you're respectful of the situation. I actually think a blazer would be the optimal choice---but there's probably not enough time. So, yes, I'd wear a tie.
I also fully understand about not wanting to invest money if you're not going to get the job, but also remember that there are basic articles of clothing that a man needs for certain situations (which you're experiencing now.) So, regardless of the outcome of the interview, consider getting a few basics so you'll be ready in the future. Specifically, dark cap toe oxford shoes, navy blazer, navy or charcoal suit, solid dark tie, and light colored long-sleeve shirt. (That's what I'd recommend in America; I don't know if it all translates to Europe exactly.)

It sounds like you have a clothing plan, so stick with it, don't worry, and just shoe the CEO the same enthusiasm that you've expressed here. You'll be fine

James.L

Reaction score
Hi Thom

I've asked a friend of mine who happens to be a recruiter (on the non-HR side of his company) and he advised me the following :

"Even though he told you that you can come in a more relaxed outfit, he later hinted that you will be meeting the big boss. If I were you, I'd dress up in a suit and tie anyway.
If he mentions that he told you about dressing down, just answer that he also told you that you were meeting the great chief and that you were willing to make a good impression.
Tell him also that you would dress more casually when you'll actually start working there to integrate yourself better in the team"

I'll go shopping for a new charcoal suit (navy is a bit "has been" over here from what i can observe walking down conference rooms at my current job) i've called a couple of tailors and they certified it could be adjusted for this evening :)

Thanks again, I'll update you after the interview to tell you hiw it went !

James.L

Reaction score
Hello !

At the end of the shopping day I had an astonishing charcoal italian made classic suit. Almost a perfect fit, just needed a couple of adjustments here and there !
I then went for a classic sky blue shirt and a marine blue tie with tiny squares pattern. For the occasion I also bought a pair of classic black oxfords :)

Went to the interview, my manager-to-be greeted me with a strong handshake and big smile : he was certainly pleased. The CEO was a bit more reserved, he was wearing a pair of dark Chino's, brown leather shoes, black shirt and a dark sport coat (maybe black ? )

I think everything went according to plan and they should give me an answer during this week :)

Thanks again for the advice.

Best regards

ThomGault

Reaction score
Excellent, congratulations; I'm very happy for you. When shall I expect to receive the check for a percent of your signing bonus? ;-)

Maljunulo

Reaction score
It sounds as if you made all the right choices.

Let us know how it turns out.

IChen

Reaction score
Signing bonus! Signing bonus!

Go get it!

James.L

Reaction score
Hello all !

Yesterday was the big day, I have signed my new contract :D

No signing bonus (those are usually reserved to senior management contracts over here), but I can send you a postcard on my first business travels :)

Thanks again for the good advice, time to suit up my wardrobe now :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads