• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear for my engagement?

Allen33

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum.

I proposed to my gf and she accepted. We are planning to host a small engagement party at the home backyard with friends and family. I'm not certain what to wear yet. I don't want to go all formal like wedding. I need advice to choose a good party wear.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum.

I proposed to my gf and she accepted. We are planning to host a small engagement party at the home backyard with friends and family. I'm not certain what to wear yet. I don't want to go all formal like wedding. I need advice to choose a good party wear.

Backyard party sounds like a pretty laid back event, no? What do you expect others will wear?

Allen33

Reaction score
They will come in casual or semi-formal attire. it's just a small group of people, about 25. I don't want to be too casual in dressing.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

They will come in casual or semi-formal attire. it's just a small group of people, about 25. I don't want to be too casual in dressing. 

How about a sportcoat with a nice button down shirt and no tie? Proper trousers and nice footwear too, of course.

Allen33

Reaction score
That looks like good. How about a blue sportcoat with checked button down shirt, Kakki pants and casual footwear? Will that look too odd?
And. today I selected a diamond ring for engagement. ( http://www.pheradiamonds.com/shop/cherie/ ) It’s a drop cut diamond on platinum ring. How do you think it is? I liked the design very much.

Last edited:

Astaroth

Reaction score
You better get the practice in now..... ask your fiancée

Its your party, you set the dress code and level of formality you want. You could do t-shirt, shorts, beer and BBQ, you could do chinos, button down shirt and sports jacket with a buffet or you could go for a linen suit, shirt and shantung tie with a catered lunch.... or anything inbetween

Honestly though, do the first point first and then work around what she wants

Astaroth

Reaction score
That looks like good. How about a blue sportcoat with checked button down shirt, Kakki pants and casual footwear? Will that look too odd?
And. today I selected a diamond ring for engagement. ( http://www.pheradiamonds.com/shop/cherie/ ) It’s a drop cut diamond on platinum ring. How do you think it is? I liked the design very much.
In theory it can work as long as each piece can stretch to the level of formality/informality of each other.

Its a round brilliant cut in the link not a drop (aka pear). I do like pear cut, and marquise even more, but the pointy ends are prone to damage - diamond is exceptional strong but it is also brittle and pointy bits are prone to chipping. On the basis an engagement ring in theory would be worn every day for the rest of her life then I'd look to a different cut. On a related topic, whats her tastes? Given shes the one "stuck with it"? Is she into her bling with lots of sparkles or prefers simplier designs?

bolton87

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

You can go with a semi-casual combination.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics