What to wear for a professional conference?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sportin_life, Mar 9, 2010.

1. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

I have a national conference coming up and I can't figure out what to wear. It's a professional meeting that occurs annually.

In the past, I presented at these meetings so typically wore a suit. This time, I'm not presenting (which makes it more fun) but am at a loss as to what is appropriate attire. I'm going to be there for 3 days.

Should I wear a dress shirt, slacks and tie? Would I need to wear a blazer with this?

Would a blazer, white shirt, and nondistressed jeans look too casual?

Also, what color blazer is appropriate? I'm assuming at this time of the year, I should go with a cotton light grey?

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

That would depend on your profession and the standard of dress as well as your personal style.

3. kortex

kortex Well-Known Member

That would depend on your profession and the standard of dress as well as your personal style.

+1. Really depends. I have been to many chemistry conferences and the style of dress really varies. One conference was very small (60 people) and some came in jeans and Hawaiian shirts. Others came in a suit and tie. I wore chinos and either a polo or a button down. What is your profession / position and how large is conference?

4. sportin_life

It's a cardiology conference (I would say large, thousands?), so tends to run on the conservative side. I would say fashion isn't a huge focus, if at all, so being comfortable without sticking out is the key.

5. sportin_life

Hm, the more I think about it, I guess I'll go with dress shirt/tie/slacks +/- blazer. Is light grey the best? My only hesitancy with grey blazers are that all my dress pants are various shades of grey and I don't want to look like I'm wearing a mismatched suit.

I guess denim wouldn't make the best impression, especially for networking purposes.

6. CardinalDoc

CardinalDoc Active Member

Is this ACC in Atlanta?

If so, you'll find people wearing a bit of everything...from suits to VERY dressed down, but most people will avoid jeans. Overall, the level of fashion is quite low...I think your choice of jacket/shirt/tie/slacks will be fine, and if you stick to a few SF mantras, you'll be better dressed than >90% of the attendees.

Are you an attending? Fellow? Just curious...

7. sportin_life

Yeps, ACC in Atlanta this upcoming weekend/week. I figured denim would look bad...

In the past, I've always worn a suit but was hoping to avoid it since I'm not presenting this time. From what I recall from past conferences (mostly AHA), most people wear suits although I never really paid that much attention? I'm trying to get away with not wearing a suit, while not looking too out of place.

8. Bartolo

Bartolo Senior member

You do have to decide how much "blending in" means to you.

You could easily wear a sports jacket and tie and be better dressed than 95% of the attendees.

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Business casual: odd jacket, dress shirt, Khakis or dress pants, tie optional. A suit also would work. I usually wear a suit.

10. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

Just wear a suit already.