• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear for a 15 year old?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am new to the forums, I originally came here for some girl help but now I am realizing that maybe my clothes need a little update!
What would you recommend for a 15 year old, both formalwear and everyday. Usually for casual I just wear a sweater and jeans, and for formal I will either go with a darker suit, sometimes without a tie.

Overall I just need some fashion tips on what looks good to you guys (and any girls that you know of!)

Thanks in advance!

Brian

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The question really is, what do you like? Sweaters and jeans are fine -- assuming they fit properly, you're already better dressed than many guys. The key is to figure out your style, then refine it. Are you happy with what you're wearing? If not, what/who do you think looks good? Are there ways you can incorporate elements of that into your wardrobe?

One reason I like SF so much is that while my style is very different than many posters', I can still draw inspiration from them. Have you checked out the Streetwear forum? If you're in denim most of the time, you might get some good ideas there.

swisloc

Reaction score
being new to this forum as well (posting for longer on the other SF) i am quite excited about the openess to very different personal styles that seems to exist here...so good choice for good opinions.

At your age, you should probably not put too much focus on buying super high quality expensive clothes. You will grow out of them, and the more traditional pieces may not come off as "stylish" to your peers (although posters here may love them). The most important thing is probably to focus on purchasing good fitting clothes in whatever style you like, which is a common problem for people who haven't spent much time on their wardrobe. You will look infinitely better just by wearing clothes that fit your body type.

A good excercise at any point is to just get rid of all the stuff that doesn't fit you well and you don't like/wear. This will give you a good idea of things that need replacing.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question really is, what do you like? Sweaters and jeans are fine -- assuming they fit properly, you're already better dressed than many guys. The key is to figure out your style, then refine it. Are you happy with what you're wearing? If not, what/who do you think looks good? Are there ways you can incorporate elements of that into your wardrobe?
Well I do like what I am wearing now, it fits my personality nicely. I like more earthy tones, tan is a good color I wear a lot of around the winter. For warmer weather I like lighter colors, yellow, light blues and greens, pink, basically pastel colors. Miami Vice style is my inspiration behind that
smile.gif
I love the style of Miami, white and light tan suits, etc. Just something that makes me look cool and collected.

Brian

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I second most of what's already been said. And since you're going to grow out of things, it doesn't make sense to make a huge investment in your wardrobe -- buying really expensive shoes, for instance, would be silly.
But I'd take this opportunity to start educating yourself about what works for you, both in terms of style and in terms of fit, etc. I wouldn't waste money on a closetfull of tailored shirts that you'll outgrown by next year. But if your clothing budget allows it might be worth having one nice shirt you wear on more "dressy" occasions and having that tailored to fit you well. The same with your suit. In the picture you posted, that suit jacket looked quite baggy on you. If you can afford to do so, have at least one suit (since it sounds like you do have occasion to wear one from time to time) tailored to fit you more closely. That will give you an opportunity to learn what feels and looks good on you, and to appreciate the big difference between something that truly fits you and something that's wearable but not well-fitted (most people, especially at your age, settle for the latter). If you start developing a sense for these things now you'll be years ahead of the game.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Hi guys, I am new to the forums, I originally came here for some girl help but now I am realizing that maybe my clothes need a little update! What would you recommend for a 15 year old, both formalwear and everyday. Usually for casual I just wear a sweater and jeans, and for formal I will either go with a darker suit, sometimes without a tie. Overall I just need some fashion tips on what looks good to you guys (and any girls that you know of!) Thanks in advance! Brian
Phew..I'm glad you are the 15 year old Brian, because by the title of your post "What to wear for a 15yr old" could go SO MANY DIFFERENT WAYS and I thought I was walking into a dateline TV special =) Remember when I was 15, the things that I missed(that I have now) is variety. I don't think formal wear was so important..maybe for you it is, bot for me, it was just more fun to have LOTS of different things to wear. 4 types of jeans, 10 types of shirts, and a bunch of shoes. That makes things fun for you in high school. Hope that helps some.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Wear whatever you want. Don't worry about **** like that right now. You are young and can pretty much get away with anything. Style is all bullshit anyway.
I tend to agree. I know you want to look as good as you can, but you're young and you're growing. You still have some time to develop a style, and the best way to find that out is through experimentation.

Check out Streetwear and the 'What Are You Wearing Today?' threads all over to get some ideas, and more importantly, try on some stuff at some local stores and read some books and magazines on style. You'll find your way.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys.
Do you have any particular stores you would recommend to do this kind of shopping for a tailored suit? The only good store we have in our general area is Jos. A Bank. I would like to have a suit of my own instead of taking my dad's old ones.
In the meantime I'll just keep watching the forums here to see what kind of things other people are wearing!

Brian

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Thanks for the help guys.
Do you have any particular stores you would recommend to do this kind of shopping for a tailored suit? The only good store we have in our general area is Jos. A Bank. I would like to have a suit of my own instead of taking my dad's old ones.
In the meantime I'll just keep watching the forums here to see what kind of things other people are wearing!

Brian

Jos A Bank quality is real low. However, since you are likely still growing, buying one on deep discount from there might not be too bad an idea.

How often do you wear a suit, though? And to what occasions?

When I was 15 I wore stupid **** like Dockers khakis and ugly golf/polo shirts with ugly leather shoes because I thought it would make me look grown up.

If I could be 15 again, I'd actually have some fun with it. I'd smoke a ton of weed and go to thrift stores and pick out the wildest things I could find. You only live once.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey there. Thought I'd chip in a bit here. I'm reletively young (19), and I liked really nice clothes ever since I was a freshman in high school. Many of my peers at the time wore Aeropostale, American Eagle, Abercrombie clothes and either skate shoes or Docs. I, truth be told could not stand that junk. I spent nights I wasn't hanging with friends or doing homework browsing the online Saks or Neiman Marcus catalog. There was no way I could afford any of that stuff with my $20 a week allowance, so it was just a dream to own an Etro button down or Blue Cult jeans. I collected records ever since I was in grade school and went to the local Salvation Army by bike weekly to browse the records. One day I had a lot of time to kill and thought I may look for a vintage rock concert t-shirt. In the process, I came across a really nice Alea button down shirt. For $1 I was happy and kept looking. Among other stuff I found were a red argyle sweater from Pringle of Scotland still with the tags, a Peter Millar cashmere sweater and a pair of Edwin jeans from Japan. From that day on I browsed the men's clothes thoroughly each visit. I now work there and find awesome stuff daily. You certainly don't have to be rich to dress nicely, you just have to know where to look and what look you want. Sorry for my rambling...hopefully you'll get some good out of it. Good luck my friend!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Wear whatever you want. Don't worry about **** like that right now. You are young and can pretty much get away with anything. Style is all bullshit anyway.

Truer words never spoken.

At your age concentrate on school, sports and girls, not necessarily in that order.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again thanks for your replies!

At your age concentrate on school, sports and girls, not necessarily in that order.
A few of the posters here know I am trying to concentrate on girls first
smile.gif
I'm just trying to take my mind off that for a little while by going to clothes as a different subject.

Brian

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads