• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what to wear dancing?

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend and I are supposed to go swing dancing with a couple of lady friends this weekend (swing dancing club of some sort). I have never swing danced before, however at their request I'm going to attempt to learn. So what do I wear? Pants and blazer or suit (should I even wear a jacket)? Colored or white dress shirt? Regular or french cuffs? What do you guys think?

stach

Reaction score
Most important, leather soles on your shoes. You're going to get hot so I would suggest a nice sport type shirt with no jacket, and pants that are not tight.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
having been a jitterbugger for almost 10 years and gone to countless swing events.....just wear something comfortable. You're going to find all kinds of "swing dancer" styles represented. There are those into the vintage lifestyle associated with swing and will wear full pleated 40s gab trousers with maybe a stripey tshirt on top, a gab longsleeve, or perhaps a 40s cableknit shortsleeve sweater......then there's the cliques who wear track pants and a tshirt......maybe a few rockabillies wearing 501s. Sounds like you're putting a bit too much thought into your outfit... I wouldnt fret too much about what's "correct". Most important thing is leather soled shoes and trousers that aren't too tight. Besides if you're just learning you arent going to be busting out aerials or splits so just dress casual comfy and have fun.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stach
Most important, leather soles on your shoes. You're going to get hot so I would suggest a nice sport type shirt with no jacket, and pants that are not tight.

Uhm.

Is this a cruel joke?

Leather soles + dance floor = terrible idea, unless the shoes are well-worn.

Hence, if you have some new Lobbs that you wanna shine up real nice and wear for the ladies, make sure you've worn them more than twice or you might be eating wood.
wink.gif
At least, that's my experience.. then again, I've never gone swing-dancing.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Uhm.

Is this a cruel joke?

Leather soles + dance floor = terrible idea, unless the shoes are well-worn.

no way, you HAVE to wear leather soles. otherwise your feet stick to the floor which is why lots of hardcore swing dancers bring talc with them to clubs, in case the floor is sticky and even new leather soles will have too much traction on the floor. Even better than leather soles is suede soles (called "chromed")...I have converse allstars that I chromed to dance in.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps they treat the wood (dance floor) with something to decrease slippage? I figured wood was wood.

Learn something every day.
smile.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
you'd be surprised how different wood floors are....I've been on wood floors that are like dancing on velcro. But find a good floor and it's sublime, like the floor does half the dancing for you.

Aureus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by contactme_11
My friend and I are supposed to go swing dancing with a couple of lady friends this weekend (swing dancing club of some sort). I have never swing danced before, however at their request I'm going to attempt to learn. So what do I wear? Pants and blazer or suit (should I even wear a jacket)? Colored or white dress shirt? Regular or french cuffs? What do you guys think?

Something comfortable that you don't mind sweating in but is going to be appropriate with what your dates are wearing. I've only been doing dancing for about a year in college, but since the dance nights are well, night, I wear whatever I was wearing prior to the club time. Which has varied from track clothes to full on suits (jacket and tie removed rather quickly...). They all worked with varying degrees of success. The best being 'anything with leather shoes.'

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a latin girl invite me recently to go salsa dancing and i turned her down. To tell the truth, I'm a little nervous about learning something like that in a club. I'd rather learn in a class to do it properly so I wouldn't completely embarass myself. I told her that and even though she pressed me a little further, she might come with me for lessons instead. I figure it's about time that I learn how to dance. I've always hated dancing because I suck and I know it. It might also help to remove the board from ****** :p

I figured about the leather shoes and it would be nice to have an excuse to wear a nice suit once in a while. I'd be scared to wear EGs or Lobbs to a club though... I can imagine them getting stepped on. Well, maybe black ones. Actually, maybe I could finally get some use out of the black ferragamos I purchased years ago
devil.gif

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
like has been mentioned previously, wear something comfortable and in layers. and unless it's a swing/supper club or you want to impress your lady friends, i wouldn't worry too much about getting decked out. i can guarantee that you'll sweat and your clothes will be going to the dry cleaners the next day.

leather soles are a plus but not a requirement the first time around. i don't think you'll be pulling heel slides at your first lesson (there will be lessons right?).

bring some sort of breath freshener, gum, altoids, whatever. if you sweat a lot, a hand towel would be nice (or hey, another use for a bandana).

oh yeah, a drink or two beforehand doesn't hurt but don't overdo. you still have to lead.

most of all, keep an open mind, don't get discouraged, and have a shitload of fun.

-Jeff

stach

Reaction score
They have that in the rehearsal room at NYC ballet, it's incredible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.2%

Forum statistics

Threads