• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to use in my hair?

jondoe89

Reaction score
I have medium length relatively thick hair. If i put no product in it, during the day it is kinda dry but i want it to be nice and soft all day with a slight shine. I use american crew daily moisturizing shampoo and sometimes peppermint cleanse shampoo followed by moisturizing leave in conditioner. My scalp gets dry and flakes sometimes and gets itchy. What would you recommend? Im sick of people saying i have dandruff etc. Thanks.

The style i ultimately want to receive is kinda like the pic attached but i think my hair may be to curly for that style.

iwearclothes

Reaction score
im not expert and am trying to figure this out myself... but if you dont need to, dont shampoo every day. Try every other day. That has helped me to not dry my scalp out so much.

jondoe89

Reaction score
Right now i shampoo ever couple days. I think i may need to straighten my hair. My hair isn't curly but it's not 100% straight either. How would i go about doing this on a budget?

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jondoe89
I have medium length relatively thick hair. If i put no product in it, during the day it is kinda dry but i want it to be nice and soft all day with a slight shine. I use american crew daily moisturizing shampoo and sometimes peppermint cleanse shampoo followed by moisturizing leave in conditioner. My scalp gets dry and flakes sometimes and gets itchy. What would you recommend? Im sick of people saying i have dandruff etc. Thanks.

The style i ultimately want to receive is kinda like the pic attached but i think my hair may be to curly for that style.

Umm so you ask for advice, people tell you that you have dandruff, and instead of taking the advice you tell us you're sick of it? You have dandruff. Treat it and stop being weird. Also, eat a little more and don't do what you're doing now with your hair. Awesome.

jondoe89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Umm so you ask for advice, people tell you that you have dandruff, and instead of taking the advice you tell us you're sick of it? You have dandruff. Treat it and stop being weird. Also, eat a little more and don't do what you're doing now with your hair. Awesome.

Maybe if you read what I wrote you would know I don't have danduff, just a dry scalp. Dont do what do know? ok. thanks.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jondoe89
Maybe if you read what I wrote you would know I don't have danduff, just a dry scalp. Dont do what do know? ok. thanks.
What the heck in your post says you don't have dandruff??? Just use some Head & Shoulders and stop rubbing so much Dep gel in your hair to get those cool spikes and you'll be good to go. Also in addition to eating more, consider shaving that child molestor mustache you have going on. ok. thanks.

jondoe89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
What the heck in your post says you don't have dandruff??? Just use some Head & Shoulders and stop rubbing so much Dep gel in your hair to get those cool spikes and you'll be good to go. Also in addition to eating more, consider shaving that child molestor mustache you have going on. ok. thanks.
Wow you really can't read and comprehend. Thats not me in the picture your idiot.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You might want to try one of those hair tonics. I use Clubman styling gel mixed with a little Florida Water cologne in my hand, but my hair is thin, and much different than yours.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Since you already seem to like the brand, I would give the American Crew Pomade a try. It does leave your hair soft and shiny, but also has enough hold to make it stand up like the picture you posted. I don't know what it will do for your dry scalp however. Guess you're just going to have to try it and see.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Since you already seem to like the brand, I would give the American Crew Pomade a try. It does leave your hair soft and shiny, but also has enough hold to make it stand up like the picture you posted. I don't know what it will do for your dry scalp however. Guess you're just going to have to try it and see.
Why would pomade do anything for his dandruff? It's two separate problems. Oh but I forgot, he has an itchy scalp that flakes but no, no he doesn't have dandruff.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread made me think of the phone call I had from my son last night on a somewhat oddly related mater that I thought I would share here.

He went to the doctor because of small warts on his hands. The doctor asked him if he had been using any new hair products. My son replied that, yes, he had recently had his hair styled and the stylist gave him some gel and a wax like product to use. She told him to try something else and that it should go away.

He didn't say the name of the stuff. But, if you have wart like outbreaks on your hands, try laying off hair styling products for a while.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oh yes, dry itchy scalp that flakes = dandruff. Sorry man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads