• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what to put in the living room for someone that doesn't watch much tv?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool turntable.

for example, an Oracle Delphi

Becomes a conversation piece
Looks nice
Makes nice music
Record collections are universally appreciated

krillin

Reaction score
i could put an art piece instead of a tv. still undecided on the coffee table. maybe i could put ottomans or daybeds instead.

i don't have an x box and there are tvs on both rooms just not in the living room so if people miss tv that much they can watch there.

for those without tvs in the living room how is your setup?

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by krillin
should i put a couple of 2 seaters face to face? get an L shaped sofa? should i just get an awesome audio system and put that in the place for the flat screen? my place is a small 2 bedroom.

Ya know, I don't own a tv and I came up with your first suggestion - I've got two matching leather
camelback loveseats facing each other over a footrest/coffee table thing, next to my bookcases. But then, I don't have (or want) an audio system, awesome or otherwise...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You say you don't watch much TV...but it implies that you watch some. Luckily the benefit of LCD panels is that you can get a really trim, minimalist one without the space waste of an old CRT TV. If you are going to have a stereo system in the living room, It might almost be worth including the TV but avoiding the standard 2 couches in an L facing the TV setup. I say this because I do a lot of my living room listening with XBMC (on a modded xbox that is rarely used for games, streaming from my PC) and I think the future is moving towards devices like the apple TV and the WDTV which require the TV to display their menu systems. Maybe a small LCD TV (minimalist trim-bezel 32" MAX...go even less) in a cabinet of sorts mounted to the wall. This one is ugly as sin but like this:
flat-screen-tv-cabinet.jpg
Imagine that if it was more like two mirror panels that open or slide to expose a screen Ideally you would mount that on the wall somewhere convenient where the mirrors would help open up the room. Then you run power and video from the screen to a stereo rack that is out of sight where you have your reciever/amp/xbmc-type device/cd player. If you don't need the screen (playing a CD/radio) you have a mirror floating on your wall; if you need to make some song/album selections for digital music, you can open it up and see what is going on. From there, I like small couch/loveseats facing each other with a narrow coffee table between them. Maybe throw a single chair to one side to make it a U shape (across or U is better than L for social interactions). EDIT: although a good alternative that I have down conceptually to the hidden TV for appletv/xbmc display is the touchscreen side table. I don't think anyone makes anything like this, but imagine the setup I described earlier..at one of the couch/chair intersections you put a side table that houses the stereo equipment. The side table has a glass top...but there is a touch screen under the glass (or in a pullout drawer). It would be pretty sweet and let you control everything. I suppose you could also just use something like an airport express to attach music to your stereo and leave an ipod touch/ipad sitting out on the table to control music.

sushi7474

Reaction score
Put there a high-end audio set + if you like books (I do) - buy a nice bespoke bookcase. You won't regret it
smile.gif

cs660p.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
OK. I got it...

Mount a projector on your ceiling and PROJECT onto that big empty wall whatever you want. Could be high rez pictures of famous art... You could put a frame on the wall so the projection is just inside it, but basically you get a new famous painting every 5 minutes
or collages of you and the people you just invited over, etc.

I think that could be pretty cool

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Projector bulbs are ungodly amounts of expensive.

Best to save them for movies

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hot tub!

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a TV that hangs on the wall, and won't take much space. Put a decent bookshelf, audio system, eye popping coffee table and you should be set. Less is more in the living room IMO.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plants or flowers, fireplace, art.

moops

Reaction score
Try one of these:
chesterfield-armchair-17451.jpg
We have two of them (one with a matching ottoman) and they are a real pleasure to have around.

montyharding

Reaction score
I concur with bookcase or the smaller TV. I've recently swapped out the 42" with a 36?7? that I was using as a video conferencing monitor in my home office, and I feel better when watching telly. The 42" itself was a tradedown from a 50" which was too much, and that was a tradedown from two 50"s, one connected full-time to the HTPC - which was way too much and I finally had to admit just made the room look horribly oppressive, but for quite a long time I was in nerdish denial. Having got down as far as the 30somethinginch, I tried also hooking up a Dell 27-inch monitor as a test to see if that would work better... but no, that was definitely too small for my room. You don't have to have a honkin' big set.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads