• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to pair with these Canali suit jackets

creampiggy

Reaction score
Is it generally a rule that one should never buy any orphaned jacket? Found these Canali orphaned jackets in mint condition and in my size, what should I wear with them?
DSC01084.jpg
DSC01068.jpg
DSC01073.jpg

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Wearing double-breasted suit coats without their mated trousers certainly violates "the rule" governing orphaned separates. By their very nature, double-breasted coats are more formal than single breasted coats so pairing them with any other trouser will always draw attention to the fact that you're not wearing a matching suit.

In all candor, I find the forest green coat quite unsavory. I know of nothing that would look good with that. As for the blue coat, you might get away with pairing it with a flannel gray trouser, but again everyone who looks at you will know you are wearing an orphaned coat.

I hate to say it, but I think you made bad decision procuring these two coats. That is just my opinion. Feel free to dismiss it.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
Wearing double-breasted suit coats without their mated trousers certainly violates "the rule" governing orphaned separates..

Well a dinner jacket is about as formal as you can get... and that is mismatched.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That second jacket (blue one) is a bit more useful than the first (green).

Right off the bat, I can think of a few uses:

-donation to salvation army for the homeless to save for tax deduction
-cutting up to see a full canvassed construction
-harvest the fabric for some DIY project

creampiggy

Reaction score
Wearing double-breasted suit coats without their mated trousers certainly violates "the rule" governing orphaned separates. By their very nature, double-breasted coats are more formal than single breasted coats so pairing them with any other trouser will always draw attention to the fact that you're not wearing a matching suit.

In all candor, I find the forest green coat quite unsavory. I know of nothing that would look good with that. As for the blue coat, you might get away with pairing it with a flannel gray trouser, but again everyone who looks at you will know you are wearing an orphaned coat.

I hate to say it, but I think you made bad decision procuring these two coats. That is just my opinion. Feel free to dismiss it.

Luckily I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I guess it is not worth it, even though they are very cheap and in good condition.

But do you think what you said applies to a pure cashmere DB jacket? I suppose pure cashmere DB jackets are most likely sportcoats rather than orphaned suit jackets, aren't they?

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
Well a dinner jacket is about as formal as you can get... and that is mismatched.

A dinner jacket is not necessarily mismatched. When they are mismatched it is typically a white coat with black pants, hardly an awkward combination. And certainly neither of those two "suit" jackets would qualify as a dinner jacket.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well i know they arent dinner jackets, but to suggest that you cannot pair a DB jacket with mismatched pants because a DB jacket is more formal, I believe, is incorrect.

CatsEyes

Reaction score

Phew. Why don't you tell us what you REALLY think?

Actually, I don't mind the forest green one. Black or dark grey pants might be fine with it. Depends on how well it fits on you, I think. Badly-fitting DBs aren't a good look. The fall has to be right.

CatsEyes

Reaction score

Phew. Why don't you tell us what you REALLY think about them?

Actually, I don't mind the forest green one. Black or dark grey pants might be fine with it. Depends on how well it fits on you, I think. Badly-fitting DBs aren't a good look. The fall has to be right.

creampiggy

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the discussions here. I do benefit from your opinions and I believe so do any of the others who have similar questions on orphaned suit jackets.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy the green one and wear it tomorrow for St. Patrick's Day. If it is as cheap as you say, and you wear it only once a year then it might be worth it. If it is a cheap as you say, and you throw up corned beef all over it, it won't be a problem.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By their very nature, double-breasted coats are more formal than single breasted coats.

While many think that today, it's historically not true- the DB was often seen as the more playful of the two options in the 30's and 40's (material etc depending).

You might send a PM to board member "Yachtie" who makes a habit out of "odd DB's". You could pair either with a pair of gray trousers, tan in the case of #2 especially- you could change out the buttons on #2 to play it more as a DB sport coat, etc.

It'll take some effort and you'd wanty to do it well, and it still won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Here's a way #2 could look nice:

Eskyr5.jpg

Or imagine in blue:

Eskyq1.jpg

creampiggy

Reaction score
Wow, I really learn a lot from discussions like this. However, I guess I will pass these deals, as I do not have the courage and money to explore into old styles.

Here is another beautiful coat I encounter, do you guess think this is sportcoat or orphaned jacket?

!BNq9ht!Bmk~$(KGrHgoOKjgEjlLmZRFRBJqzCWjt(g~~_3.JPG

WhatHeWears

Reaction score
Originally Posted by creampiggy
Wow, I really learn a lot from discussions like this. However, I guess I will pass these deals, as I do not have the courage and money to explore into old styles.

Here is another beautiful coat I encounter, do you guess think this is sportcoat or orphaned jacket?

!BNq9ht!Bmk~$(KGrHgoOKjgEjlLmZRFRBJqzCWjt(g~~_3.JPG

Sportscoat

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads