• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to pair with gray suit for casual night out?

cloud9eleet

Reaction score
Okay here is the basic setup, light/medium gray three buttons, single breast, single vent suit. Trousers are flat front with no cuff and no tie.

For a night out in the city at a lounge/nightclub, what color shoes/belt do you wear? What about shirt color/style? Pocket square appropriate?

I am interested to hear your thoughts and opinions.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cloud9eleet
Okay here is the basic setup, light/medium gray three buttons, single breast, single vent suit. Trousers are flat front with no cuff and no tie.

For a night out in the city at a lounge/nightclub, what color shoes/belt do you wear? What about shirt color/style? Pocket square appropriate?

I am interested to hear your thoughts and opinions.

I'd go with a herringbone or thick twill white shirt with spread/open collar, no pocket square, brown shoes/belt.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black chelsea boots, black belt, dark purple and white striped shirt with a contrast collar to draw attention toward your face.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Drizzt's suggestion works for me. Depending on your coloring and tastes, medium or even french blue shirt might work, too. Definitely brown shoes and belt, imho - I'd probably go tan or lighter because darker browns are likely to get "lost" unless the lighting is consistently good.
I'd probably go with no pocket square if you're wearing a suit and no tie (I'd wear one if you were going with an odd jacket and no tie as opposed to a suit). But there's certainly nothing inappropriate about it if you have one that will go well with your outfit.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or alternatively, you could go with a black spread collar shirt with a white t-shirt underneath, black shoes and belt... 5 bonus pts for identifying this scene...

cloud9eleet

Reaction score
Here is what I was thinking, I didnt want to taint any responses.
smile.gif
Pink shirt with light blue stripe, brown monkstraps and brown belt.

The million dollar question, would my black gator strap Patek be blasphemy with the brown/gray/pink mix?

I like drizzts idea of the white, very nice look I think.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cloud9eleet
Here is what I was thinking, I didnt want to taint any responses.
smile.gif
Pink shirt with light blue stripe, brown monkstraps and brown belt.

The million dollar question, would my black gator strap Patek be blasphemy with the brown/gray/pink mix?

I like drizzts idea of the white, very nice look I think.

I think you'd be OK with the Patek, although i guess it might depend how dark the brown of the shoes/belt was...

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Replacement Killers. Not a particularly well-fitted suit, tho.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
On second thought, maybe you should dress like this:
suavelookin.jpg

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Replacement Killers. Not a particularly well-fitted suit, tho.
nice. I kinda like some of the outfits from that movie but that was the only picture I could find of a grey suit. There was a light grey suit with white shirt in the middle of the movie but I couldn't find the still
frown.gif
1-6.jpg
1-7.jpg
Of course, Chow's best accessory:
1-3.jpg

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the accessories are essential. I'm partial to the following, though:

cloud9eleet

Reaction score
I do not think I could achieve the same look on my face though. Is he showing us anger?

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Well, based on "his" posts in the What Are You Wearing Today thread, it's more on an urban hip-hop 'tude.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
On second thought, maybe you should dress like this:
suavelookin.jpg

Only if he wants people to know he's a pimp.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads