• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to make from this material?

Edge89

Reaction score
Okay, so you guys are probably just going to think I'm a weirdo, but I figured I would attempt to get some input anyways. I'm a tailoring student, and a while ago I saw this (the skirt fabric) on project runway. I got all excited and had to have it, but now that I have a few yards I realize it's pretty intense looking.

I was thinking of making a vest with it and using the rest for a skirt for my girlfriend or something. The original idea was to make pants, but it's rather thick and loosely woven for pants. It is 100% wool and quite nice feeling. Anyways, I thought it'd be nice to hear some opinions.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it was a smaller pattern I'd say a tie... maybe some wacky pants? Or maybe a tie could work...

Perhaps the best use would be a scarf or hat.

Phew, that's a tough fabric to work with, especially for men.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Too late for a return? It does seem a bit over the top.

Do you participate in any hobby for which you might need some sort of bag?

Edge89

Reaction score
Well I've never made a hat before, so that's probably out of the question. It's too thick to do a tie I think, but I hadn't thought of just making a scarf. That would be easy and probably the least FU way to use the fabric. Even though it isn't quite the right sort of fabric for trousers, I'm still sort of tempted just because I think the pattern is so awesome.

Edge89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
Too late for a return? It does seem a bit over the top.

Do you participate in any hobby for which you might need some sort of bag?

Definitely too late for a return, and I like it so much I want to make something out of it. A bag might be cool with a little black leather trim, but I'll have to think of some use for a bag.

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
Geezus, that is some loud fabric. I think pants would be overkill, unless you have a particularly ostentatious style. In my opinion, you're gonna have to work to calm that down with the rest of the outfit, so I like the vest idea. That as a vest over a black and white mini-checked shirt, or a white shirt and a checked bow tie, drawing the color-focus to that fabric while the visual activity is elsewhere, on the shirt or tie.

Good luck. I'd love to see you how you end up working with that.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Make your GF a cape

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would rock a flat cap made from that. Size 7 (US) if you want to just mail me one.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pro tip: Houndstooth should not be larger than an actual hound's tooth. I have a beagle here for comparison.

Edge89

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I'm still leaning towards a vest and probably something for the lady. I don't remember if I have 2 or 3 yards.... I'll update this when I get around to sewing something with it, but I still have a suit or two in between now and then.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edge89
Thanks for the input guys. I'm still leaning towards a vest and probably something for the lady. I don't remember if I have 2 or 3 yards.... I'll update this when I get around to sewing something with it, but I still have a suit or two in between now and then.

Make a suit with it. You would get many comments.

Edge89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
Make a suit with it. You would get many comments.

If only I had another half yard or so!

IronRock

Reaction score
Skirt yes
Cap yes
Backing to a more toned down waistcoat - maybe?

dsmolken

Reaction score
That's some loud material. I want to see the end results, whatever you decide to make.

Edit: a random idea - how about a reversible down vest? A nice solid color on one side and insanity on the other.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads