• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to look for in off-the-rack shirts to have tailored?

aerc10

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase some business-casual shirts to be worn open-collar. However, I typically have a difficult time finding clothes that fit (I'm 6 foot, 155 pounds, 36-37" chest, 30" waist). Shirts slim enough to fit my chest and waist are too short on the sleeves, and vice versa. As a remedy, I'm looking to have some shirts altered. I chose altering because it seems a bit excessive to have completely custom tailored business casual shirts, but let me know if I'm wrong.

So, here's my question. What should I look for when buying a shirt off-the-rack that I plan to have altered? Since my 'largest' part is my arms, should I buy one to fit me there and have the rest tailored to fit? Are there any key areas that need to fit in addition? I've heard a variety of things from chest, to collar, to shoulders, etc.

I look forward to any advice you have to offer, thanks!

Brian

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Neck, Shoulders, Chest should fit. Everything else (waist, back, sleeves) can be shortened or taken in depending on the part of the shirt (sleeves and shirt length can be shortened, back can be narrowed with darts, and sleeves and waist can also be narrowed at the seams).

aerc10

Reaction score
So it seems I'd still have a difficult time, as the shirts that would fit my neck, shoulders, and chest are rarely long enough in the sleeves. What other options do I have?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why don't you try Landsend custom shirt. They are less than $100 per shirt, and you get to customize length and all that. The return policy is also excellent.

aerc10

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
You could try made-to-measure from one of the various online places.

Does that make sense for a more casual shirt though? I just get the feeling that's more dressy than I'm looking for.

dsbkoko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aerc10
Does that make sense for a more casual shirt though? I just get the feeling that's more dressy than I'm looking for.

The style is what makes something dressy or casual, not the price.

aerc10

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsbkoko
The style is what makes something dressy or casual, not the price.

Well, I am talking about the style, not the price. I just get the impression the style with MTM is typically dressy, more 'stiff' look. I wasn't aware they did more casual stuff as well, but if that's the case, I'd be willing to give it a try.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aerc10
Well, I am talking about the style, not the price. I just get the impression the style with MTM is typically dressy, more 'stiff' look. I wasn't aware they did more casual stuff as well, but if that's the case, I'd be willing to give it a try.

If you want a more casual look with MTM, just get a more casual fabric, such as an oxford or in the summer time linen works well, button down collars usually offer a nice casual look along with barrel cuffs. That was just a suggestion for a casual shirt as there are many different options.

Mexicorn

Reaction score
As someone who's 6'2" I can relate on having trouble finding small neck / long sleeve combinations.

Try broooks brothers. Their slim fit line goes down to 15" neck while still having a 35" sleeve. Fits me rather well, but you might want it to be altered slightly if you want it to be super slim.

Bear in mind that pretty much any shirt will shrink some in the wash, so don't trust something that's almost form fitting on the chest in the dressing room.

itsallinurhead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mexicorn
As someone who's 6'2" I can relate on having trouble finding small neck / long sleeve combinations.

Try broooks brothers. Their slim fit line goes down to 15" neck while still having a 35" sleeve. Fits me rather well, but you might want it to be altered slightly if you want it to be super slim.

Bear in mind that pretty much any shirt will shrink some in the wash, so don't trust something that's almost form fitting on the chest in the dressing room.

From what I read, the non-iron variety can't be tailored due to the construction that makes them non-iron?

JBird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by itsallinurhead
From what I read, the non-iron variety can't be tailored due to the construction that makes them non-iron?

I've had all of mine taken in at the sides and haven't had any issues

JBird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by itsallinurhead
The non-iron slim-fits?

Yea, they aren't slim enough for me. I'm a 16x32 with a 43" chest and a 32" waist. I have to get all of my shirts "fixed up" and really should just start going MTM.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads