• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to eat before an early morning workout?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What works for one person might not work for another so experimentation is in order to figure out what works best for your situation.

If I am going to the gym before breakfast, I usually have half a bagel or a piece of toast with either cream cheese or peanut butter and some juice and something sweet like a piece of chocolate. If I am headed out to run first thing in the morning, I'll have half a banana and a smaller portion of juice. Either way, I usually have something more substantial within about 30 minutes of finishing my workout.

Plestor

Reaction score
Nothing but ~750ml of water and take 2 bottles to go was always my strategy when I swam . Hit the carbs (Multigrain weet-bix or similar... minimal milk) when you get home. NB: I was swimming for mid distance (400 free,200 fly,1500 free) competition so I had different nutrition priorities. I also was doing 15-20+ hrs a week. I tend to grab a light snack (2 bananas or a bowl of cereal) these days before surfing these days, but surfing tends to go on for longer and tend to push you harder, I also generally have a reasonable time taken to get to the beach, along with the standard pre-surf stuff.

deadrock143

Reaction score
Yeah its depends upon you what to eat before early morning workouts. Because I usually like oatmeal, but am so sick of it. Now I blend 2 scoops of oats (about 1/2 cup) in with my shake with two cups of coffee instead of water then eat a few pieces of 12 grain bread dry. Cheerios are not bad either, if you can workout with a little milk in your system.

innerstyle

Reaction score
A small piece of fruit, a glass of water, and glass of juice work for me. BTW I tried going without eating before my early morning workouts but I felt noticeably less energy during my workouts, so now I always make sure to eat before it.

yayorc

Reaction score
I've always been told its best to eat breakfast within an hour of waking up just to jumpstart your metabolism for the day. If you can do that, and delay your cycling by 30 min or so to digest, you might feel better during your workout.

PoloPlayr

Reaction score
A double-espresso BEFORE 7am gym to kick-start my metabolism and then breakfast AFTER.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oatmeal and milk.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Grape Nuts or All-Bran or another dense cereal that doesn't require much milk.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wading in....

The topic was in the news recently. As you can see, there's no expert consensus.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...exercise_N.htm

One thing that most people probably know is that the body is dehydrated after a long period of sleep. Slight dehydration can greatly harm exercise performance, so start drinking water before the workout. Depending on natural blood pressure, salt (maybe from a light breakfast) also might be a good idea. A multivitamin before seems prudent. As for the actual composition of any light breakfast, there's not enough information to go on and the results will show what does or does not work.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hartmann
What does this even mean

Your metabolism is like a car... you have to turn the ignition and let it idle before you really let er rip for the day
facepalm.gif

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Plestor
Nothing but ~750ml of water and take 2 bottles to go was always my strategy when I swam . Hit the carbs (Multigrain weet-bix or similar... minimal milk) when you get home.

thats stupid man. you should just drink the water you're swimming in. its efficiency defined.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought a protein shake about 30-45 minutes before a workout does wonders

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics