• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to do with untailorable jackets? Need help.

LoneRanger

Reaction score
I recently thrifted a ridiculously nice Zegna 100% cashmere herringbone blazer that is custom made. It's 8 sizes too big for me (its probably a 44-46), and the sleeves are pretty short even though I'm a 38R. Anyway, it was basically free and it's the softest piece of clothing I've ever touched, so I bought it, thinking I'd resell it on here so someone can enjoy it. However, I'm now realizing nobody will want it. Is there anything a tailor can use the material for? Could I cut it into something? Could my girlfriend get it cut into a bag or pillow cases or something? I just really don't want to waste the beautiful fabric.

Thanks for the help.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently thrifted a ridiculously nice Zegna 100% cashmere herringbone blazer that is custom made.  It's 8 sizes too big for me (its probably a 44-46), and the sleeves are pretty short even though I'm a 38R.  Anyway, it was basically free and it's the softest piece of clothing I've ever touched, so I bought it, thinking I'd resell it on here so someone can enjoy it.  However, I'm now realizing nobody will want it.  Is there anything a tailor can use the material for?  Could I cut it into something?  Could my girlfriend get it cut into a bag or pillow cases or something?  I just really don't want to waste the beautiful fabric.  

Thanks for the help.

Give it to a charity shop in the hope that some over size person turns up whom it might fit. If not burn it.

LoneRanger

Reaction score
Haha, thanks, but it's not THAT big. Just got a new nephew though, maybe I'll try to make the little guy a vest myself.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you think nobody would want it? Have you looked at the prices cashmere Zegna goes for on e-bay recently?

Sell that sucker. You should be able to get some money out of it and pass it on to a loving home at the same time.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why the fxck would you buy a jacket that's 8 sizes too big?...because the price was low?
puzzled.gif

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picture(s) measurements?
It's around my size, but I have long arms.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Without seeing the jacket it's hard to suggest anything. Some vintage jacket material has been made into ties before. I'd try to sell it first.

Let's see the jacket.

LoneRanger

Reaction score
Here are some pics. P2P is about 23" and the bottom of the under lapel material to the bottom of jacket on the back is 31.5". Here's the kicker though, the seam on the shoulder to the outer sleeve is 24.5". Anyone want it? Anyone think anyone else will want it? First offer worth going to the post office to ship gets it. I'd hate to waste it. Thanks.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics. P2P is about 23" and the bottom of the under lapel material to the bottom of jacket on the back is 31.5". Here's the kicker though, the seam on the shoulder to the outer sleeve is 24.5". Anyone want it? Anyone think anyone else will want it? First offer worth going to the post office to ship gets it. I'd hate to waste it. Thanks.

Nice pictures. So, why'd you buy a jacket that's 8 sizes too big again?

LoneRanger

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought it was too nice to just sit there and it'd fit my dad, so I thought it would be a good gift, but I didn't realize at the time the sleeves were so short.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads