What to do with extra leather?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by usctrojans31, Mar 14, 2013.

1. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

So random question and I contemplated posting this in the quick question thread, but I don't want it to get buried. My girlfriend brought home a bunch of extra leather yesterday from work; some of it is full sheet leather and enough to make legitimate objects, well beyond the typical scraps one buys by the pound. My question for you SF is what the hell can I do with it? I have no leather working skills or tools, nor do I know where to go to commission something, though I am very open to the idea. Maybe some of the DIY guys on here can help.

Some of the leather is amongst the nicest leather that I have ever had my hands on so I would like to do something with it. Do you guys have any ideas? Any suggestions on who does commissioned leather work? Search elicited no good threads.

Thanks!

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not every leather is suitable for every job. You need leather with different characteristics to turn into shoes, or upholstery, or make a suit case.

More information is needed.

3. usctrojans31

Thanks for pointing out my neglect. All of the leather is from handbag production, thus I assume that it could turn into another bag, or something similar. Again, this is where I defer to those with more construction knowledge than me.

4. Dnslater

Dnslater Well-Known Member

Is it full grain or corrected? Watch Straps or Belt's come to mind, but it may not be heavy enough if it was intended for handbags.

5. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

She gets it from work?? That's awesome! I would get a wallet or card carrier made. Look for any custom leather shop and they should be able to help you determine the best use for the leather itself. you're in Paris, there's got to be some fantastic craftsmen around.

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Your answer is in your question. Connect yourself with someone who makes their own handbags. A handbag is a womans most powerful and sought after accessory after jewelry and shoes. Every woman wants something unique.

7. usctrojans31

MOL - you have confirmed what I was thinking. I've been trying to source craftsmen who can make something for me, though I've had less than desirable results.

8. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Is any of the leather green?

Since you're in Paris, have you considered approaching Hermes?

Jus' sayin'!

9. usctrojans31

I'm...not at liberty to discuss that.

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

+1 - there's got to be some leather artisans around, it's just a matter of finding them.

Alternatively, you could get in touch with someone like "April in Paris" (whom I think is actually in the US, rather than Paris) and commission something, and send the leather over to them to use.