• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to do with extra leather?

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So random question and I contemplated posting this in the quick question thread, but I don't want it to get buried. My girlfriend brought home a bunch of extra leather yesterday from work; some of it is full sheet leather and enough to make legitimate objects, well beyond the typical scraps one buys by the pound. My question for you SF is what the hell can I do with it? I have no leather working skills or tools, nor do I know where to go to commission something, though I am very open to the idea. Maybe some of the DIY guys on here can help.

Some of the leather is amongst the nicest leather that I have ever had my hands on so I would like to do something with it. Do you guys have any ideas? Any suggestions on who does commissioned leather work? Search elicited no good threads.

Thanks!

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not every leather is suitable for every job. You need leather with different characteristics to turn into shoes, or upholstery, or make a suit case.

More information is needed.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing out my neglect. All of the leather is from handbag production, thus I assume that it could turn into another bag, or something similar. Again, this is where I defer to those with more construction knowledge than me.

Dnslater

Reaction score
Is it full grain or corrected? Watch Straps or Belt's come to mind, but it may not be heavy enough if it was intended for handbags.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She gets it from work?? That's awesome! I would get a wallet or card carrier made. Look for any custom leather shop and they should be able to help you determine the best use for the leather itself. you're in Paris, there's got to be some fantastic craftsmen around.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for pointing out my neglect. All of the leather is from handbag production, [COLOR=FF00AA]thus I assume that it could turn into another bag[/COLOR], or something similar. Again, this is where I defer to those with more construction knowledge than me.

Your answer is in your question. Connect yourself with someone who makes their own handbags. A handbag is a womans most powerful and sought after accessory after jewelry and shoes. Every woman wants something unique.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MOL - you have confirmed what I was thinking. I've been trying to source craftsmen who can make something for me, though I've had less than desirable results.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is any of the leather green?

Since you're in Paris, have you considered approaching Hermes?

Jus' sayin'!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

She gets it from work?? That's awesome! I would get a wallet or card carrier made. Look for any custom leather shop and they should be able to help you determine the best use for the leather itself. you're in Paris, there's got to be some fantastic craftsmen around.

+1 - there's got to be some leather artisans around, it's just a matter of finding them.

Alternatively, you could get in touch with someone like "April in Paris" (whom I think is actually in the US, rather than Paris) and commission something, and send the leather over to them to use.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads