1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with a scuffed up old SAB attaché?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirWilliam, Mar 13, 2011.

1. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

A tenant of my mini storage facility stopped paying (I think he may have passed away) so I had the manager cleaned out the unit and I went through the stuff and I found an old Peal & Co. briefcase...amazingly it had the keys and the original tags which say "Hand Made and Hand Sewn" The green leather interior is near perfect but the outside is badly scratched and scuffed. It is perfectly functional just well used.

I am not sure what to do with it...I really like the case but I do not see there being much I can do to improve its looks apart from shoe polish which for obvious reasons is not an option. I work in a professional business environment...and while I think it looks better than what most people carry they might not.

Would it look funny to wear perfectly polished shoes and a beat up old leather case?

2. BlackShoes

BlackShoes Senior member

Post pictures, advice will follow

3. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Send it to me and I will keep it for a small fee.

5. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

How much do you want for it?

Beat up or not, that looks great.

6. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

Hit it with leather conditioner like Lexol or something, should make it look a lot better.

7. tweedydon

tweedydon Senior member

Before doing anything to the case, I'd strongly suggest that you make a good-faith effort to get in touch with his executors or relatives, if he's passed away--or at least hold on to it without doing anything to it for a few months, to let them have a chance to discover that he had things in storage and get in touch with you if they wish.

I realise that you no doubt have no legal obligation to do this, but something like a much-used SAB case might be a family heirloom, or at least saved to pass on to someone, and it would be a shame not to give it this opportunity.

If and when you do decide to give it some cosmetic work, I'd suggest getting in touch with distinctive, who'd probably know just what to do!

8. cncrd

cncrd Senior member

How much do you want for it?

Beat up or not, that looks great.

Very much agreed. When I read the OP I was expecting it to be really gouged or sliced from stuff piled on it, but that looks great... a very little bit of leather care would clean it up to a nicely worn in, cool look. I'd carry it anywhere. Nice find.

9. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

I am not interested in his relatives...he has not paid in months...I do not know definitely that he is dead all I know is that he owes me money and that none one has come forward to pay his debts.

10. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

I'll buy it. PM me if you want to sell it.

11. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

If I decide to sell it I will let you guys know. I definitely need to take better pictures though.

12. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

Would it look bad if I used this briefcase with perfectly polished shoes and dressy business casual attire?

13. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Would it look bad if I used this briefcase with perfectly polished shoes and dressy business casual attire?

it would, so sell it to me, problem solved[​IMG]

14. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

it would, so sell it to me, problem solved[​IMG]

How much is it worth to you?

15. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I wouldn't carry it with business attire until it has seen a little love, but agree it will look great after getting hit with some conditioner and polish. Oh, and I envy you. I have never had perfectly polished shoes after their first wear. [​IMG]

16. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

I wouldn't carry it with business attire until it has seen a little love, but agree it will look great after getting hit with some conditioner and polish. Oh, and I envy you. I have never had perfectly polished shoes after their first wear. [​IMG]

I did not say I have perfectly polished shoes...I am just imagining a look. Also I do not think I can put polish on the case because it will rub off on to things.

17. Annadale

Annadale Senior member

I am not interested in his relatives...he has not paid in months...I do not know definitely that he is dead all I know is that he owes me money and that none one has come forward to pay his debts.

It's this kind of thinking that makes me proud to be human.

18. 604Coast

604Coast Senior member

Business is business.

19. WhateverYouLike

WhateverYouLike Senior member

Without sin, are we?

20. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

Where can I buy SAB leather care products? Or what other products do you guys recommend?