1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

What to do with a leather sole?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by gabe224, Apr 27, 2016.

1. gabe224

gabe224 New Member

Hello, All!

I just bought a pair of Santoni Turner in dark brown––my first ever pair of nice-er shoes. Now for my dilemma... should I put thin rubber dancing soles on the bottom to make them last longer, or should I wear them as is and then resole.

And by the way, how much would it cost to resole them? (living in NYC if that means anything)

Thanks,
    Gabe

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Moving this to Menswear advice.

Me, I always get my leather soles topied. Leather soles were simply never made for city streets, and getting them resoled is a hit or miss process. Also, while I cannot be sure, I believe that the Santoni Turners are Blake stitched, with the upper stitched directly to the sole, which, while allowing for a more flexible, lightweight sole, will also more often lead to failure due to the stitching wearing out.

3. Andy57

Andy57 Distinguished Member

As a counterpoint to that, no, absolutely not. Why buy shoes with leather soles only to slap a cheap-looking plastic (or rubber--does it matter?) sheet over them? The only place leather soles make sense is on city streets. You don't want to wear leather soled shoes anywhere wet or on rough ground. Buy decent shoes but with dainite soles for wet weather or broken ground. But you shouldn't have to baby your leather soled shoes.

4. gabe224

gabe224 New Member

You really don't think it's the worth the longevity it adds?

By applying a Topsy, does that negate the advantages of the Blake stitched sole––i.e. will the shoe be less comfortable and flexible? In which case, would it be advised to wear the shoe out a bit, let it conform to your foot, and then have it topied?

5. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

While I don't always Topy my leather soles I often do so because I live where winter happens and leather sucks in anything but dry conditions. To the OP - there really is no downside, despite some spectacularly unsupported claims of doom you will read from some sources. The grip in all weather conditions is vastly improved, the overall life of the sole is significantly extended and they are pretty much invisible unless you are walking on your hands.

Besides, those who criticize their appearance need to explain to me what beauty resides in a ground up leather sole with the detritus of untold miles and public washrooms ground right into it.

Bottom line - your shoes and your choice. But I can't really see how it will improve your dancing. :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016

6. Andy57

Andy57 Distinguished Member

No. I have a pair of leather-soles shoes that I bought in 1989 that are still going strong. I guess if you were to wear as single pair of shoes every day you might have a problem. But you don't do that, do you?

But, as @RogerP said, they're your shoes. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer.

7. a1s2d3

a1s2d3 Active Member

Yes, Santoni actually sells their own rubber oem soles for sale on their site. They have them pre installed on some of their shoes as well.

8. johng70

johng70 Senior Member

I wouldn't attach anything to the sole. If I am wearing leather soled shoes and will be outside in inclement weather I put overshoes on. But I also have rubber soled shoes. I can't speak to how those add-on products wear - but I'd be dubious. Spend money on at least one other pair of shoes instead.

9. a1s2d3

a1s2d3 Active Member

You'd be dubious....are you trying to say products by Santoni are a bunch of baloney?

10. johng70

johng70 Senior Member

Not of an actual rubber sole. But if they offer an after-market attachment that attaches to the existing leather sole then yes, I would be dubious.

11. Tim Beasley

Tim Beasley Member

Hi Gabe,
    Congrats on the new Santoni's. We sell them daily and they are one of my personal favorite shoe makers.

You will need to evaluate how much you will wear these. I'm doubting that you will wear these every day consecutively. If you are, then go and buy 2 more pairs of "every day" shoes. Do not waist your time replacing the leather soles.

12. a1s2d3

a1s2d3 Active Member

I don't mean to be impatient; I know it's only been 3 years now Gabe, but have you decided yet whether or not to put on rubber soles?

13. once a day

once a day Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

leather soles are meant to be leather soles. Put on toe taps and enjoy the ride!

14. stylish_raven

stylish_raven Senior Member

very well put, it does depend on the use you intend to give the shoe
    in

15. aj2603

aj2603 Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with this statement