• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what to do when you get fat?

Dapp

Reaction score
Yeah honestly, I'd go with what GT said, just keep it simple. Don't get sucked into some overtly complex scheme. Just do a little reading on sound principles, don't eat things you know are bad for you and work out on a regular basis. The weight will fall, just do something.

joeverns

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Eat less ***** foods and exercise to lose some pounds.
6241.gif

Last edited:

dubcbadass

Reaction score
I'm a 4th year med student, will be a MD in a few mos. Lemme chime in.
"Weight loss" can be achieved by decreasing fluid mass ("water weight"), muscle mass, or fat mass. We give diuretics to people in heart failure and they lose 10 lbs in a few days and are not in acute heart failure anymore. Body builders do this at the end of their tapers before competitions. This is not what you want to do.
If you merely decrease caloric intake without regard to what provides those calories, say, taking your typical Western diet and just eating half, you will be hungry all the time and will have a hard time gaining muscle mass and losing fat mass. You might even lose muscle mass. This is because the quality of the Western diet, that is, the macronutrient ratio and the types of sugar we use, causes you to have generally higher blood sugar, which drives insulin production which drives energy in the bloodstream in the form of sugar into the adipocytes (fat cells).
The keys to diet that generally keep insulin low are decreasing the amount of sugar and starch of all kinds. This means, eat as much meat (muscle meat as well as organ meat) and fat (meat fat and dairy fat) as you want, pref from properly fed sources (grassfed cattle, etc.). Don't buy the bs about saturated fat is bad for you. I will spare you that whole discussion, but take my word for it or look up some pro-fat diet bloggers like Kurt Harris, MD.
Add copious amounts of green and colorful vegetables. Eat a little fruit, some nuts and some tubers when you think it is necessary. Maybe try fasting a day a week. Stick to this diet about 80% of the time and you will prob get the results you want without feeling like an anorexic model.
Add some higher intensity, full-body exercise, some serious stress reduction modalities and proper sleep and BANG, you will be all set up for a long and healthy life.
I could go all night about this ****, so PM me if you want more.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
be realistic in your diet. don't say 'im never going to eat fried foods ever!', instead say 'i ate some mcdonalds today, tomorrow i'm going to eat clean and at a deficit to make up for it'.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

be realistic in your diet. don't say 'im never going to eat fried foods ever!', instead say 'i ate some mcdonalds today, tomorrow i'm going to eat clean and at a deficit to make up for it'.

yeah, but I've found that, at a certain age, I simply had to say good bye to a couple of thing; donuts and french fries. cold turkey. but that was me.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For me, I have two 'cheat meals' per week....that's whatever I want, cheeseburger, fries, shake. I usually eat clean at other times. I also hit the gym 4 times a week. It's not a diet, more like a lifestyle change.

This was the biggest I've been in my whole life, at about 220 lbs:

http://wisith.tumblr.com/post/29772424052/i-suppose-you-can-call-this-my-transitional

This before and after is approx. 1 year. Before was 220 lbs, after was about 160 lbs I think.

http://wisith.tumblr.com/post/22567510333/fitness-for-life-before-you-invest-money-in-your

I eventually got down to 140 lbs, but that was with eating at home pretty much all the times so I know what went inside my body. I was also training and going to the gym at least 10 times a week. I became a bit too thin. I got back up to 155 lbs now, which is still skinny.

People always asked me how I did it. In a nutshell:

http://wisith.tumblr.com/post/22701504014/tips-for-losing-weight

Snoopy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For me, I have two 'cheat meals' per week....that's whatever I want, cheeseburger, fries, shake. I usually eat clean at other times. I also hit the gym 4 times a week. It's not a diet, more like a lifestyle change.

That is ******* dumb lol Eat garbage...food that has no nutrition whatsoever...so then you hit the gym to burn it off...only to eat the same garbage food the following week. You sound like a hamster. That run on it's wheel looping same **** over and over again.

Why do you consume that garbage into your system? Did you know that most of those foods are made by angry employees that sometimes put mucus, sperm and other crap you can't see on them?

I knew a manager at Burger King that told me stories. It made me immediately retire from fast foods years ago. I have not eaten fast foods in over 10yrs. Mostly because it's food that does not provide any beneficial nutrition into my body.

Last edited:

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

something tells me you spend more time looking at that image and less time on the diet and exercise....

hahaha...no, I only stare at it during at night after my treadmill/taebo workout. soon I'll be converting to a Toj groupie.

I do feel guilty right now for eating 2 donuts and feel lazy to T/T and just wanna watch the Real Housewives of New Jersey reunion special

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
also live in a place where you walk everywhere and you have to carry your 30 lbs of groceries half a mile :fu:

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yep, I do the same thing, and I also went through a similar weight loss: was 205 a couple of years after college (I'm 5'10"), lost about 45lbs in a year or so without really having a set technique (honestly the main thing I can remember doing is cutting out diet coke haha). Now a few years later I'm at 145-150 and the lifestyle is real easy to maintain. I stay focused during the week then kind of eat what I want on the weekends. To be honest I don't really enjoy too much fast food anymore, though that may be part of just growing older.
IMO all those diet books and trends are kind of a waste of time, because the very best thing anyone can do is take a long hard look at their life and see what works for them, and where they want to be. As long as you don't expect quick miracles you'll find a way to get to decent shape, without having to turn into a calorie-counting Crossfit maniac

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is ******* dumb lol Eat garbage...food that has no nutrition whatsoever...so then you hit the gym to burn it off...only to eat the same garbage food the following week. You sound like a hamster. That run on it's wheel looping same **** over and over again.
Why do you consume that garbage into your system? Did you know that most of those foods are made by angry employees that sometimes put mucus, sperm and other crap you can't see on them?
I knew a manager at Burger King that told me stories. It made me immediately retire from fast foods years ago. I have not eaten fast foods in over 10yrs. Mostly because it's food that does not provide any beneficial nutrition into my body.

Right, because you never eat out at a restaurant? I mentioned burger, fries, and shakes...but not only fast food places sell them FYI.

Thank you for your helpful post. Very informing.

dubcbadass

Reaction score

cathpah, this kind of diet is extremely extremely unhealthy.  Have you checked your HDL, LDL, triglycerides, insulin, or blood pressure lately? 

I very much hope you are lying/exaggerating about such rapid weight loss.  Such rapid weight loss is unnatural, and more likely indicative of a shock-response by your body to your extremely unhealthy diet and not true weight loss.  In other words, your body is totally confused and is heading for break-down.
In any event you will not be able to keep this up, and then you will revert back naturally with even higher fat and water content. 

There are no short-cuts.  If you want to lose some weight, stick to a sensible, healthy diet, coupled with regular exercise, at an intensity dictated by your age and genetic disposition.  This may mean 30 minutes brisk walking for some people, or an hour daily at the gym with intense cardio for a 22-year-old healthy male.

Bro, show me some evidence that cholesterol levels in isolation have any effect whatsoever on the endpoints we care about. Show me some evidence that links dietary fat or cholesterol intake with cholesterol levels. Show me some evidence that the standard "sensible, healthy diet" is better for controlling blood pressure than a ketogenic diet with tons of vegetables and meat (mad potassium, yo). I agree with you that high insulin levels, tris and BP (the criteria for the metabolic syndrome) are bad for you, but I disagree with you about what causes these things to be high. Excessive starch (causes hyperinsulinemia), gluten grains (hyperinsulinemia and leaky gut type syndrome), soy (phytoestrogens and bad n3/n6 ratio), sugar (hyperinsulinemia and advanced glycation end products), salt (hypervolemia >>> modest increased blood pressure, balance with potassium) and too much seed and nut oils (whacked out n3/n6 ratio; pro-inflammation, advanced rates of atherosclerosis) are what are to blame here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads