1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What to do when Suit pants are always too large(Waist, legs, back-side)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ser renely, Oct 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ser renely

ser renely New Member

I have a larger chest and small waist. I am 5' 9" and have 41-42" chest and 31" waist. I can get away with wearing size 40 jackets, but clearly the pants are always too large in the waist back-side and legs - and I have large legs.

What does one do in this situation for buying nice trendy designer suits? It seems as though I will never be able to unless I buy separately, but then it’s hard to match the fabrics, or get suits that I don't really like.

I read about European cut suits, but have not found any yet.

Thanks,
    Ser

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

With that large a drop, you're going to have to go with getting something made to measure. Even if you find a place that sells separates (and there are a few), the jacket is going to be cut for a very different physique.

There are a few places out there that do that affordable, run a search for made to measure on here and you'll pull up a few threads.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  3. fashionnoob

fashionnoob Senior member

I'm an 11 drop and found a good tailor who does a nice job recutting the pants with Canali and Corneliani OTR suits. I think the key is finding a competent tailor - if you can do that, you should be good to go OTR.

You will have to do a recut, though, so make sure they don't just take the waist in, or the pants will look ridiculous.

4. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

I have similar chest/waist measurement, but I'm a few inches taller than you are. I've given up on OTR suits because of the issue that you pointed out. It's tough for someone who's fit and/or tall to catch a break. I tried having suits altered, but between the full jackets and baggy pants, I'd end up spending $100 or more on alterations. IMO, it's not worth it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012