• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to do for clothes at college/university?

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Depending on your school, I can see how dressing this way all the time could limit you socially. You've already seen people in this thread who do not understand the look, making comments about being a yacht-club poser. The fact is, the look has its origins with middle-class GIs, is no more expensive than t-shirts and jeans, and is a hell of a lot less ubiquitous. I also think there's something pleasing about the consistency the style allows you to maintain day after day. Still, understand that because of the misplaced yacht-club/d-bag baggage attached to the look, there are certain bars that you just can't go into dressed like that. You'll raise the ire of the hipsters and working class folk who are rebelling against the uniform of the Man by wearing denim. Nevermind that the Ivy League look hasn't had any kind of mass popularity since the 1960s- these people know the look of the establishment when they see it!
If you stopped earlier, this would have been a great troll, but now I can only assume you're joking: you identify the OP as having an undeveloped sense of style and then go on to proscribe a style that is even less mainstream than the goth-ninja?!
eh.gif
Wardrobes should be built incrementally. Start with 1 great pair of jeans, 2 pairs of shoes, enough plain T-shirts to last you two weeks, and a hoodie or two. Wear those for a month and you'll have a much better idea what you want.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tljenkin
To me, being a student is like having a blank check to dress however you damn well please and get away with it. [...]

It's probably the only time in your life that you will be able to dress *exactly* as you'd like and not be told to do otherwise.

Absolutely true. I've just left college, and I miss that freedom probably the most. The important thing is to be you -- Shakespear had it right with the 'to thine own self' business. The hard part is not sliding down the road that winds you up in PJ's for every 8am class, so find what you like and rock it hard. People see that and respect that, even if it is sometimes a quiet respect.

I wore a whole gamut -- a couple leather jackets, shirts, and jeans were the most common. Wore a lot of sportcoats and jeans, lots of epaulette/military/safari stuff, too. Wore polos rarely. Wore turtlenecks and half-zips in the cold, rocked a suit quite often, even pulled out a three-piece and a fedora or a Panama on occasion. Some days I shaved, some weeks I didn't. That was grand. Only wish I made money back then so I could've bought cooler stuff.

Anyway, enjoy. This shaving every day stuff, followed by perpetually tying on the noose, gets old fast.

Regards,
Huntsman

hamm23

Reaction score
I'd definately take the college years as being comfortable and casual. For me it was never more than some dark jeans and button-up, usually just a t-shirt though. I wouldnt worry at all about going to Marquette either, I have a handful of friends there and I know they put no thought into their dress. Just have fun and try to learn some stuff.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cookieoflife
I don't even want to KNOW what you were doing before your roommate locked you ou.

Shaving. The scarf was in my friend's room because I passed out there the previous night.

Originally Posted by Gilead
Beating his runway model wife, by the sounds of that outfit.

N*gga please...my wife don't runaway.

I learned her on that last time!

Studio27

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Tassles?? Naw, that's an old man shoe. Pennies are the college classic for when you need to put on the blue blazer. Boat shoes for daily wear.

the whole point of saying if you do it, wear tassles is so you don't wear them. basically don't wear penny loafers in college period
rolleyes.gif

Studio27

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Some days I shaved, some weeks I didn't. That was grand. Only wish I made money back then so I could've bought cooler stuff.

QFMFT on both points.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
I Jappies and their Chanel bags

Dude, I think four posts is a little early to be getting racist. At least wait until you're in double digits
rolleyes.gif

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Dude, I think four posts is a little early to be getting racist. At least wait until you're in double digits
rolleyes.gif

Sometimes, I just dont know what do with myself. *sigh*

smile.gif

cmrocks

Reaction score
I just try to make sure that I look well put together, casual, comfortable and like I'm not trying too hard or anything. I see a lot of people around campus who are very nicely dressed but often times they look kind of "costume-y" I guess you could say; just way over dressed in kind of a rediculous way. I respect them for looking nice and dressing how they want, but to me, you have to be a certain kind of person to pull it off well. Unfortunately, a lot of them can't really pull it off. On the other hand, you have a lot of people who look like they don't care whatsoever how they look.

To class, I usually just wear jeans and a sweater with a tshirt underneath. It's nothing over the top but it still looks pretty nice in my opinion and no one would ever think that I'm trying too hard or that I'm over dressed. When I go out somewhere nicer, I can switch the jeans for non-denim pants and put a dress shirt on under the sweater.

In warmer months, I like to wear linen pants and just a crewneck long sleeve tshirt, a polo shirt or, in the evening, a light-weight crewneck sweater with leather sandals or boat shoes.

Other than that, I tend to carry a shoulder bag with me quite often for my school related supplies, book to read, snack, umbrella, ipod, camera etc.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i go to a conservative school in small town texas, but i'm from houston. if you can imagine i stand out quite a bit from the A&F jocks and the fratties. i def dress a little more foward when i'm in houston but i've found ways to tone it down at school but still be myself.

my outfits usually consist of

jeans
Nudie Sven dry japanese selvage (good 5 months of wear so i wear them more)
Studio d'Artisan SD-103

shorts
faded red/pink flat front shorts
grey slimmer leg flat front shorts
baggy ass AnF camo shorts

tops
loads of goodwill tees (that fit nicely bc i've altered them)
western shirts/pearl snaps
AA vnecks
stripey tees

shoes
dirty white converse chucks that i made into lo tops but cutting the top block off (i like the fraying)
rainbow brand flip flops
sperry brown or green boat shoes
beat to hell brown roper cowboy boots
brown checkered or white vans slip ons

alot of this stuff may seem very run in the mill casual, but its really in the color combinations and the fit and attention to the little details that make it stand out more/make it look like i care about my appearance. for example, i wear my AnF camo cargos, with an AA black vneck that i bought a size big so its purposefully slouchy and drapey and cut the sleeves shorter and undid the hem at the bottom so it messily rolls up in stead of a clean finish edge, with my frayed dirty chucks.

also getting a pair of good dry jeans is really easy if you know what you're looking for. i scored my Studio d'Artisans for an incredible $160 and they were basically new. check the buy/sell forum on here and superfuture, there are always ridiculous deals if you look hard enough.

metkirk

Reaction score
The fact that damn near 99% of college students are underdressed makes anyone who puts effort into looking good overdressed. I'm kinda broke right now, but when I get the money I'll get a suit made and start going to class in it, 5 days a week. Sick of the ordinary.

Also in my opinion, SuFu is no way an example of being stylish and all.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by metkirk
The fact that damn near 99% of college students are underdressed makes anyone who puts effort into looking good overdressed. I'm kinda broke right now, but when I get the money I'll get a suit made and start going to class in it, 5 days a week. Sick of the ordinary.

Also in my opinion, SuFu is no way an example of being stylish and all.

You didn't get a suit made by Duc Nhuan? Color me surprised...

And yeah, I'd agree with the latter statement for the most part.

thebeatblitz

Reaction score
In four years of college, I bought maybe 3 new articles of clothing. I've taken 8 am finals where 2/3 the class is in PJ's; one guy came shirtless in flip-flops and a towel. Nobody cares what you wear. Save your money; beer gets quite expensive despite the latest special.

Really enjoy it while you can, it's one of the perks of higher learning. My first two years of medical school were the same exact thing: I just rolled out of bed and zombied my way to class. The real world will come soon enough; that is, unless you're one of those folk that absolutely love fashion.

metkirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
You didn't get a suit made by Duc Nhuan? Color me surprised... And yeah, I'd agree with the latter statement for the most part.
I didn't think Duc Nhuan'd be able to fulfill my requests for soft shoulder and other attention to details. For shirts, however, I had him made about 10.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads