• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to do about tight-fitting peacoat ?

pujuma

Reaction score
I have gained weight so my B.Reid wool peacoat fits real tight somewhat like this guy (yeah he has lost the button).
There's no spare fabric for expansion.

Is there any remedy for this situation ?

One thing I'm thinking : replacing at least the sewed-on right-side middle button with a 2-connected-button-thing like this :
(What do you call this thing ?)

()---()

This likely requires putting in a little hole in the jacket.

How about this ?

thanks
(Note: I don't mind givng up using of the chest pockets)

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a woman peacoat. ^^^
Anyway, just buy another jacket or lose weight.

Last edited:

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Maybe a skilled tailor can have the buttons on the bottom side to the left a bit, which will hide where the old buttons were sewn and wont require you to cut new holes into the jacket

ddonicht

Reaction score
It might be possible to move the buttons. Take it into a tailor and see what they say.

I would be careful about making changes due to weight gain however. If you buckle down and lose the weight, then the jacket won't fit again. For me, I would just use it as a reason to buckle down and get the weight back off.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use the situation as the reason to buy a roomier sized peacoat

The pictured man's trousers seem too short and too tight...and an ill fitting peacoat

He looks more like the train wreck which is advertised as slim fitting

One needs a roomy peacoat, for a thick sweater, or to hide other necessities, such as a concealed handgun and holster...at least in those jurisdictions where true liberty still reigns

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BUY
A
NEW
ONE
!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads