• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to do about this new suit? Issues after cleaning / pressing

FRoneAT

Reaction score
Greetings to all:

First time poster put long time peruser of the forum. Have avoided quite a few pitfalls after spending some quality time here. I'm relatively new to the world of professional business attire but had to get a quick lesson and build an arsenal after receiving a promotion requiring my daily wear of a suit.

I recently purchased a new Isaia lightweight suit made of a wool/silk blend (90/10). After having it professionally tailored I took it to my nearby cleaner (fairly good reputation) for pressing. Because I'm new at this, I really don't trust myself yet to to attempt this stuff at home on a suit like this (although I'm making good progress on other, lesser liked suits). I've purchased seven suits over the last month (2 SuitSupply, 2 Zegna's, 1 RLPL, 1 Sartorio Napoli, and this --my favorite of all by far-- the Isaia.

When I arrived home with the suit and removed it from the dry cleaners plastic cover I was sick to my stomach. The suit looked horrible. A button jacket button broken, some strange imprints in the sleeve, and some bubbling in the lapel. I'm sure that this being a more traditional Neapolitan jacket with partial lining and the silk blend, it's not going to look perfectly pressed on a hanger. But this seems like damage to me. I have sufficient evidence to show that the suit entered the cleaners shop in good repair as it went straight from the tailor to them. Also concerning is the fact that my tailor didn't return the extra buttons (after finishing the sleeves) but I'm sure that was an oversight on his part as he's held in very high regard here.

Wondering how I should proceed with the cleaner? And maybe some cursory my assessment on the condition of this. I really don't know if this is permanent or if it can be fixed. My novice speculation has lead me to believe they applied to much heat to the garment and that the sleeve imprints are from some apparatus they used to hang it when pressing. Not sure about the lapel though. And advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
IMG-0419.JPG
IMG-0418.JPG
IMG-0417.JPG

Mica2015

Reaction score
looks like your baby has gone through a grueling process. Use a hand-held steamer next time for your delicate garment.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, that’s awful. Definitely take it up with your cleaner but be prepared for some push back. Hopefully yours is a good place that will make things right without any fuss, but as I understand it most places have a policy that once you leave with your garment you have implicitly “inspected” and accepted it. Just a caveat for you.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless they can fix it, ask for a significant refund. I'd be really pissed too.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This can all be fixed, I think, but I wouldn't ask your cleaner to do it. I would definitely ask for a refund on their work and the cost of replacing the button. The lapel waviness is not bubbling as it's not fused; it's more likely a bit of seam puckering. It can be difficult to find someone who really knows how to hand-press a suit properly. If you have a high-end tailor or men's tailored clothing store nearby, ask them where they send their jackets for pressing. If not, consider sending it out to Rave Fabricare or another well-regarded cleaning facility for a hand press.

FRoneAT

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I visited the cleaner today and their response was really unsatisfactory. They said they would reclean it to remove any moisture and that if I could locate a replacement button they would sew on. No gesture of apology and no offer of compensation. Unfortunately this is the dry cleaner recommended by my tailor. I am waiting on a call from the owner so I’ll reserve final judgement until then. Perhaps he will remedy.

My tailor is attempting to identify a button to serve as a replacement. He actually lost the replacement button that came with the suit and offered to acquire new ones from Isaia and fix free

Hopefully all will turn out well. I do own a steamer that seems to spew more water than steam.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Steam is what caused this puckering. Do not steam this garment. It needs to be pressed.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why did they even consider "cleaning" the garment? Cleaning in harsh chemicals should be done very sparingly and only if the waiter has spilled soup over you.

This is a steam related problem and hand pressing should remove the problems - albeit at the expense of the cleaner. AS to the buttons I'd suggest you buy a new set of horn buttons to your choice and have them sewn on professionally - again it really should be at the expense of the cleaner. Certainly do NOT consider a 'near match' as it will jar for ever.

If you can press your existing suits comfortably, there's no reason to be afraid of the one. Just ensure that you have a clean and very damp cotton cloth between suit and iron to avoid either burning or making it shiny. Learning to do this yourself will make your life easier and avoid any problems like this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads