• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to buy in Florence

Juicebox008

Reaction score
I am traveling to Italy this summer and am looking to buy shoes or other fashion items that I am unable to get in the states. I have heard that getting French and English shoes are better than buying Italian shoes. Any advice would be great. Thanks....

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am traveling to Italy this summer and am looking to buy shoes or other fashion items that I am unable to get in the states. I have heard that getting French and English shoes are better than buying Italian shoes. Any advice would be great. Thanks....

If you are into artisanal items like myself, you will go apeshit in Florence. Leatherwork, metal work, fine paper, Florence has maintained a whole network of small artisanal businesses which support each other mutually.

If you dont mind full price, plenty of shoe options (Esposito, Mannina, plus a few artisanal ones I cannot remember- just Google and also explore by walking). Then for suits there are Liverano, Michele Negri, Principe, etc in Florence. Leather gloves from Luciano and Madova. Leather jackets from Casini, quality leather bags and satchels from a whole range of places such as Ortino etc.

If you want discounted fare, there are a few small outlets in the centro storico of both Florence and Rome. I found Incotex pants for Euro 55, Cucinelli cashmere blazers for Euro500, Santoni Goodyear for Euro87, Sassetti shell cordovan shortwings for Euro260. There are also the famed malls such as the Mall, Castel Romano, Foxtown, Serravale, Barberino. You might score a nice Zileri, Canali, Corneliani for Euro500.

I found a tailor just 10 mins walk from the Spanish Steps- it is a shop next to Schostall. Their pride possession is a cloth length of vicuna, all yours for Euro$3400 per square meter. A handmade suit in vicuna will start around Euro15k, which is a relative bargain compared to Kiton's Euro50k. Lol.

If you are into "fashion", then take the train to Milan.

Juicebox008

Reaction score
I definitely prefer the artisanal/boutique store over the popular name brands like Gucci, Ferragamo, Armani, etc... I plan on visiting those museums but I don't intend on buying anything there. I have heard of the shoe manufacturers Berluti, Corthay and John Lobb but they are either French or English and was told to buy them since I'll be in Europe. Have you heard of those shoe companies?

I don't mind full price and paying discount price makes me a little nervous as I don't want quality to be compromised. I don't plan on getting any suits or anything, likely just shoes and maybe a shirt.

Did you go to the San Lorenzo market?

Thanks,

Kyle

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely prefer the artisanal/boutique store over the popular name brands like Gucci, Ferragamo, Armani, etc... I plan on visiting those museums but I don't intend on buying anything there. I have heard of the shoe manufacturers Berluti, Corthay and John Lobb but they are either French or English and was told to buy them since I'll be in Europe. Have you heard of those shoe companies?

I don't mind full price and paying discount price makes me a little nervous as I don't want quality to be compromised. I don't plan on getting any suits or anything, likely just shoes and maybe a shirt.

Did you go to the San Lorenzo market?

Thanks,

Kyle

Yes, I have a pair of Corthay and a pair of JL. You can get a lot of info on these shoes in the Classic Menswear forum. You wont find these shoes in Florence.

I went by San Lorenzo after dinner when it was closing. From what I can observe, a lot of stalls with shoddy goods, mostly Made in China. I probably won't spend too much time there as there are heaps of other great places to go.

Juicebox008

Reaction score
So if I can't get those shoes in Florence and not in the US, where do you get them? Is that a separate trip to London or Paris? I have never heard of these and am new to the "shoe game" so where do these manufacturers compare to the Italian ones and are the ones mentioned (Esposito, Mannina) worth getting while in Italy?

So my time should be spent in the small boutique stores vs. markets and popular designer names?

Juicebox008

Reaction score
Are there French and English shoes sold in Italy that are not sold in the US? Are there any Italian shoe that's worth buying? If not, what are the MUSTS of mens fashion to buy in Italy?

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if I can't get those shoes in Florence and not in the US, where do you get them? Is that a separate trip to London or Paris? I have never heard of these and am new to the "shoe game" so where do these manufacturers compare to the Italian ones and are the ones mentioned (Esposito, Mannina) worth getting while in Italy?

So my time should be spent in the small boutique stores vs. markets and popular designer names?

You can get Corthay and Lobbs in the US. I think Leffot has Corthay. Just go to their respective threads in the Classic Menswear forum and ask questions. I just checked and found that you can get a limited range of John Lobb from Luisa Via Roma in Florence.

French and British are not necessarily "better" than Italian. Depends on what you are looking for. A few brands you can have a look at in Florence- Santoni (a very wide range, look for the Goodyear welted stuff), Sutor Mantellassi, Ferragamo (only the Tramezza line), A.Testoni (only the Amadeo line). Esposito are made in Spain/Portugal (I think) and they are very cheap for the quality level- think Euro100 to Euro250. Mannina is just one shop in Florence only (cross the Ponte Vecchio and continue walking for about 10 shops), and in addition to a range of ready-to-wear, you can get bespoke done there for about Euro1500, which is an absolute bargain, assuming you have the time and inclination. Eriko is a lovely lady and speaks passable English, is super passionate about shoes and can be a very good guide for you. If you are looking at Berluti, Corthay and Lobbs, you would be looking at around the Euro1000 to Euro1200 price range anyway.

Italians are equal or better in many aspects of shoe-making to French and British. They all have different aesthetics and charm, and at a certain level of quality, you get diminishing returns. Do your research, it is more fun. If shoe research is of no interest to you, just go and buy whatever you fancy which fits and is within budget, then spend time enjoying the sights and food. Just trust me, you will have plenty to choose from just in Florence alone, let alone Milan, Rome, Naples or Bologna.

Last edited:

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who's the shoe guy Daniel Day-Lewis apprenticed with - Stefano???? I believe he was near Firenze....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads