• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to buy Guidance Counselor upon graduation...

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am in highschool...

Now that that's out of the way haha, i'm going to be graduating early this month, the 25th is my last day. Throughout the years my GC has helped me out A LOT, most notably helping me graduate early and start college now, rather than being stuck in a pointless second semester senior year, and all that.

Clearly some sort of gift is in order, I don't want to go the typical Godiva route... i'd rather get him a bottle of something nice.

I was wondering what is a acceptable thing, I obviously don't really know his tastes, a good bottle of wine? Or should it be a whiskey or scotch or something?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would not be acceptable for an under aged kid to get an adult working at a high school a bottle of liquor.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
I don't think it would not be acceptable for an under aged kid to get an adult working at a high school a bottle of liquor.

Well I don't intend to hand it to him in the plastic liquor store bag and be like: Hey! Thanks Mr. xxxx.

Obviously it'll be in a nice bag, preferably wrapped up with a little card from both my parents and myself.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Are you in the States? I think a 17/18 year old giving a high school official a bottle of liquor would be wildly inappropriate.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Yeah. I just wouldn't do that. It's not like this person will think it's cool or anything. It will only be awkward for them to receive it. Get a restaurant gift certificate or something.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that he and I have an extremely casual relationship...

I dunno, I suppose looking at it just as an 18 year old giving an adult a bottle of liquor is off, but like I said over the years we have cultivated a relationship of sorts.

If this is a bad idea, what is a more appropriate gift? Like I said, I dont want to go the typical box of chocolates or something route...

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Just listen to us. You're 18. You know nothing about anything.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just in case you are not disuaded yet; my initial thought as soon as I saw the word bottle was, wow, this is highly innapropriate. The only way to make it appropriate, I think, would be for parents to give it to him, off campus.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarkI
I also forgot to mention that he and I have an extremely casual relationship...
I dunno, I suppose looking at it just as an 18 year old giving an adult a bottle of liquor is off, but like I said over the years we have cultivated a relationship of sorts.

If this is a bad idea, what is a more appropriate gift? Like I said, I dont want to go the typical box of chocolates or something route...

everyone else is thinking it, im going to post it. *******.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I don't intend to hand it to him in the plastic liquor store bag and be like: Hey! Thanks Mr. xxxx.

Obviously it'll be in a nice bag, preferably wrapped up with a little card from both my parents and myself.

laugh.gif
You're right, its the liquor store bag that was throwing me off.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
laugh.gif
You're right, its the liquor store bag that was throwing me off.

Haha, presentation is everything.

And yeah, no *******.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Give him a nice little pen. Montblanc is a well known brand, and I'm sure he'll appreciate one for years to come.

Otherwise, I concur with giving him a ** (if you don't want to do it, hire somebody who will), at least above a bottle of booze.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Box of condoms, lube, and an introduction to the most socially awkward and sexually confused freshman you can find.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Clearly some sort of gift is in order...

whatever happened to heartfelt letters of thanks? clearly showing one's appreciation is in order, but gifts aren't necessary imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads