1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What to buy for Korean Girlfriend's parents

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Dashaansafin, May 13, 2009.

1. Eason

Eason Senior member

Seriously? I never had a problem with sesame oil or black pepper, shit was cheap relatively.

2. w00tah

w00tah Well-Known Member

expensive whiskey/scotch
    Giant fruit basket
    flowers (NOT WHITE professionally arranged)

hope they dont disown her for dating a non-korean

3. madaboutshirt

madaboutshirt Senior member

hope they dont disown her for dating a non-korean

I know you are joking but one of my collegues's wife is Korean and he is an Australian born Italian.

4. dropbeats

dropbeats Senior member

I know you are joking but one of my collegues's wife is Korean and he is an Australian born Italian.

well as long as he isnt black or jap koreans probably dont have to much problem with that

5. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

6. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

well as long as he isnt black or jap koreans probably dont have to much problem with that

True to this. When my sister was in Korea for a year one of her friends, a black guy, really liked this Korean girl. He brought it up and the girl said she couldn't date him because he was black...[​IMG]

Oddly enough, one of my Korean mom's best friends is a Japanese woman.

EXPENSIVE fruit basket is great. Korean friends always bring something like that when visiting.

7. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

+1 for expensive fruit baskets. That's pretty much standard operating procedure.

You should make them a gift- a crafty project of some artistic sort. I'm sure they would treasure something that you put your heart and creativity into. Booze, gold, honey, and seasoned oils come and go, but a watercolor painting taped to the fridge lasts a golden lifetime. I know this type of gesture is cherished by Korean parents of women dating non-Korean men.

I'm gonna guess you've never met a Korean in your life.[​IMG]

8. kimchikowboy

kimchikowboy Senior member

Very expensive scotch. They especially love Ballentines. Anything with a well-known designer label. Perhaps an expensive tea. Expensive fruit would work, but you couldn't take that on the plane. Is your home area known for anything? I'm from Kentucky, so I have given out bourbon in the past. Probably best to ask the girlfriend. And don't buy pepper.
    You realize it is a very serious deal meeting the parents, right?

9. VolsVolsVols

VolsVolsVols Senior member

I'd buy them a plane ticket and a green card so that they could move to a real country.

10. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

Garlic [​IMG]

(if you're getting married)

11. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

dick in a box

12. Contingency Plan

Contingency Plan Senior member

(superior) Japanese electronics

13. Eason

Eason Senior member

I'd buy them a plane ticket and a green card so that they could move to a real country.
    Like where?

14. VolsVolsVols

VolsVolsVols Senior member

15. Eason

Eason Senior member

Right, or Somalia. "Real Countries"

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I've never understood expensive fruit baskets.

I don't want food as a gift.

17. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Jesus, dating a Korean girl must suck. You are gonna be broke before long if you are going to be buying expensive gifts every time you see her parents. One thing I can say about some of the (traditional) Korean dudes living in the US - they love to spend their money on women and "treat them right", at least financially. Pretty sure most of it comes from their parents too. Very materialistic culture.

18. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Jesus, dating a Korean girl must suck. You are gonna be broke before long if you are going to be buying expensive gifts every time you see her parents. One thing I can say about some of the (traditional) Korean dudes living in the US - they love to spend their money on women and "treat them right", at least financially. Pretty sure most of it comes from their parents too. Very materialistic culture.

I thought it's his first time visiting. Yes, I have met some very materialistc korean girl/guy as well, but I wouldn't knock the whole boat. They do love brand names, especially the young crowd. By the way how come no one has mentioned Californian wine, that's one thing American does superbly. You can probably get some nice Robert Mondavi for 100 dollars, or if you want to impress I suppose OplusOne is the way to go.

P.S. not sure about in Korea, but in Taiwan, French wine has higher regards even if they're not necessary better than California ones (in my opinion)

Edit: Opus One, not Oplus One

19. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I thought it's his first time visiting. Yes, I have met some very materialistc korean girl/guy as well, but I wouldn't knock the whole boat. They do love brand names, especially the young crowd. By the way how come no one has mentioned Californian wine, that's one thing American does superbly. You can probably get some nice Robert Mondavi for 100 dollars, or if you want to impress I suppose OplusOne is the way to go.

P.S. not sure about in Korea, but in Taiwan, French wine has higher regards even if they're not necessary better than California ones (in my opinion)

True not all Koreans. Some of the Korean girls I've met (in the US) have been very down to earth and did not expect to be treated like a princess. However many of the guys were the "big spender" types. Can't generalize it to all of them, but perhaps it is an indication of the culture. Then again, maybe not.

20. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

I suppose there is off beat to everything, for example, contray to what other says all the eastern european girls I met didn't care about money.

OP: Sorry for the hijacking, I am serious about wine though, whisky is probably a good idea as well, but I don't know if there are any "American" whisky that is known for, not a hard liquor drinker here besides vodka shots