1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What time do you wake up for work?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Connemara, Jan 22, 2012.

1. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    THIS is the way to do it! Haha. I am out of bed between 7:30-8:00 and in work around 9:30. Get home at 5:30. Eat breakfast in work.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. utexas2010

utexas2010 Member

Work in a government agency, can show up anytime as long as 8 hours are put in. I usually wake up around 8-8:30 and get to the office around 10 at the latest (40 minute NYC commute) Some coworkers work from 9pm-5am when the office is empty and then have the whole day off.

The 8 hour day includes a 1 hour paid lunch and they even allow a break for an in office work out at the gym. As my first job out of college, it feels damn near impossible to ever consider switching to the private sector after being spoiled like this!

As someone with an entrepreneurial mindset, my personal goal is to find a way to work less and have more freedom. Until that fully happens, government is the way to go. Where else can you take 7 vacations in one fiscal year without any backlash from your boss :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  3. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

^Hate you so much

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Really? A solid 7 hours of sleep a night and you think that's not good? That seems like a lot.
    This must explain my W-2.
    Yes, your knowledge of and experience with business culture in 1975 is impressive for someone born in 1986.
    +1.

My typical schedule has me waking up at 9 AM
    Into the restaurant by 10 or 1030
    Work nonstop until 1030 or 11, sometimes 12 or 1 if we had a big party or if I have a lot of office work to catch up on after service
    In bed by 4 most days

Luckily, that schedule is only for 5 days a week. For the sixth day I work every week, I have to be at work by 530 AM and work until 10 or 1030 at night. My life is just awesome.

5. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

I wake up at 9 take a quick hot shower to wake myself up. check computer while getting dressed, at 9:25 I have to run to my car to avoid talking to my neighbor. Pull into work garage parking at 9:29, run up the stairs put on my jacket, straighten tie and walk to my desk at 9:30.

I actually feel kind of bad, and disgusting lazy that I drive 1.5 blocks to work. But many days I need the car during work

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

waking up in 3 hours to catch a flight.

fun.

7. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Well played sir

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was put on a special project for about 6 months, where I had to get a car to drive to a work location (I live in nyc, san car) and had to arrive by 5:45am each day 6 days a week. I hated every last second of it. Things are much, much better now. You'll get through it.

Edit: awesome picture, btw

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  9. patrickBOOTH

This guy that used to work in my office got fired for spending too much time during the day working out in the gym. I believe the official reason was "Poor time management." Upside is he was pretty jacked.

10. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

Man, I work for the wrong government agency.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You mean a non-fictional one?

1 person likes this.
  12. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

:laugh:

Precisely.

13. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

WTF! Is this a city, state or federal job? I would kill for a flexible hours policy. I do know how you feel about vacations, though. This year, my plan is to take off the month of August. :slayer:

14. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

You guys hiring?

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

There's a theory about a person's worth to their organization and how long they can reasonablely be out of touch with it. For instance, I rarely take a week off and have absolutely zero contact with my office. As an example, I was having wine with friends in Paso over Xmas about 7pm, and I get a work related cell phone call x 2. I ignored them (love screening) but I still got them. I got another a few days later and actually took it as I could again see who was calling me.

Soooo, a month off work with presumeably no contact...?

:laugh:

16. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    +1

17. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I wonder if anyone has ever been fired for spending too much time here on SF?

18. patrickBOOTH

Maybe if they couldn't reasonably multi-task.

19. patrickBOOTH

I have often said this to friends and such. If you are of any importance to your organization regardless of how much vacation days you have you connot be away that long at one time. If you were to try you would be a huge asshole and if not demoted looked down upon, heavily.

I don't know how anybody could be off more than a five day work week that is important. Hell, I am not important and I have to do work from my phone when I have a three day weekend.

20. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

One day, my good man. One day. I suppose I'll have to join the ranks of the walking dead. Unless I can find a woman who owns her own liquor store.