• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What tie to choose? (Wedding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4xen

Reaction score
Hey there

Im going on wedding very soon and need to buy tie + handkerchief for my suit.

What would you choose if you had these options below:

I own the suit you see in the picture, the colour is navy. Shoes will be brown. Shirt will be light blue.

Regards

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear a lighter, colored tie for the day time, and the darkest one above for night. Never wear a matching tie / pocket square set. Just use a white ps.

Simone1

Reaction score
I also really hate matching a tie and a pocket square. A pocket square (when its not plain white) is a way to express your personality, its a statement piece - so when you put absolutely no effort into purchasing it, buying a set.... It's just completely wrong!

It depends on the dresscode and the season / time of day, I'd say. If it's this spring, I'd recommend the first option.

Get a white cotton pocketsquare and fold it square, then tie a knot which compliments you and the shirt collar :)

m4xen

Reaction score
I appreciate your answers thank you!! I believe I go with the tie in the first picture..

White or off white? :)

Simone1

Reaction score
Definitely the first one.

Usually when you go for something like off-white or pocket square in white (silk) it is to compliment the bride's dress.

- Remember to wear what you truly feel is best for you. I just give advice based on what I'd personally do, or what I usually tell customers in my store (I work with suits)

m4xen

Reaction score
I like them both but prefer off-white for some reason.

Thank you for the advice, that's why im posting here. Weddings are special occassions and rules should be followed

Simone1

Reaction score
Indeed. There is a time to be fashionable, and another time to be stylish. Style do have some rules when it comes to gentleman's wear!

The off white would definitely add a refined touch to your outfit!

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get a white cotton pocketsquare and fold it square

I want to emphasize that cotton (or linen, wool, etc.) is absolutely the right way to go if the square's going to be folded. Only if the pocket square is to be stuffed into the pocket in a "puff" style (which is a perfectly valid choice in many situations, of course), is silk the correct choice.

I sometimes see men wearing folded silk squares. Much of the time, the silk square - being thinner and less... grippy?... than a cotton square, will slip down into the pocket, or a fold will just sort of flop over, and basically it looks wrong.

Simone1

Reaction score
I want to emphasize that cotton (or linen, wool, etc.) is absolutely the right way to go if the square's going to be folded. Only if the pocket square is to be stuffed into the pocket in a "puff" style (which is a perfectly valid choice in many situations, of course), is silk the correct choice.

I sometimes see men wearing folded silk squares. Much of the time, the silk square - being thinner and less... grippy?... than a cotton square, will slip down into the pocket, or a fold will just sort of flop over, and basically it looks wrong.
Very true indeed :) Great points..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics