What tie to choose? (Wedding)

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by m4xen, Mar 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m4xen

m4xen New Member

Hey there

Im going on wedding very soon and need to buy tie + handkerchief for my suit.

What would you choose if you had these options below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I own the suit you see in the picture, the colour is navy. Shoes will be brown. Shirt will be light blue.

Regards

2. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I would wear a lighter, colored tie for the day time, and the darkest one above for night. Never wear a matching tie / pocket square set. Just use a white ps.

3. Simone1

Simone1 Senior member

I also really hate matching a tie and a pocket square. A pocket square (when its not plain white) is a way to express your personality, its a statement piece - so when you put absolutely no effort into purchasing it, buying a set.... It's just completely wrong!

It depends on the dresscode and the season / time of day, I'd say. If it's this spring, I'd recommend the first option.

Get a white cotton pocketsquare and fold it square, then tie a knot which compliments you and the shirt collar :)

4. m4xen

m4xen New Member

I appreciate your answers thank you!! I believe I go with the tie in the first picture..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

White or off white? :)

5. Simone1

Simone1 Senior member

Definitely the first one.

Usually when you go for something like off-white or pocket square in white (silk) it is to compliment the bride's dress.

- Remember to wear what you truly feel is best for you. I just give advice based on what I'd personally do, or what I usually tell customers in my store (I work with suits)

6. m4xen

m4xen New Member

I like them both but prefer off-white for some reason.

Thank you for the advice, that's why im posting here. Weddings are special occassions and rules should be followed

7. Simone1

Simone1 Senior member

Indeed. There is a time to be fashionable, and another time to be stylish. Style do have some rules when it comes to gentleman's wear!

The off white would definitely add a refined touch to your outfit!

8. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

I want to emphasize that cotton (or linen, wool, etc.) is absolutely the right way to go if the square's going to be folded. Only if the pocket square is to be stuffed into the pocket in a "puff" style (which is a perfectly valid choice in many situations, of course), is silk the correct choice.

I sometimes see men wearing folded silk squares. Much of the time, the silk square - being thinner and less... grippy?... than a cotton square, will slip down into the pocket, or a fold will just sort of flop over, and basically it looks wrong.

9. Simone1

Simone1 Senior member

Very true indeed :) Great points..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.