• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what TIE KNOT is this?

cluelessman52

Reaction score
I've been trying to tie the four-in-hand for the past hour but my knot comes up tiny. Attached is a picture of what I want to tie. What knot is that? Thx!

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the one on the left could be a Pratt/Shelby knot, the one on the right looks like a half-windsor. the four-in-hand is the lazy man's knot and asymmetrical - avoid it like the plague

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double four in hand are my favorites when my collar allows me to.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cluelessman52
I've been trying to tie the four-in-hand for the past hour but my knot comes up tiny. Attached is a picture of what I want to tie. What knot is that? Thx!

No comment on the knot you're looking at, but getting a nice looking 4IH requires a tie with a certain thickness and quality to it. Cheap ties, or especially thin ties, make it difficult to tie a nice knot.

Originally Posted by gaseousclay
the one on the left could be a Pratt/Shelby knot, the one on the right looks like a half-windsor. the four-in-hand is the lazy man's knot and asymmetrical - avoid it like the plague

lurker[1].gif

Poindexter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
Getting a nice looking 4IH requires a tie with a certain thickness and quality to it. Cheap ties, or especially thin ties, make it difficult to tie a nice knot.

Whut he sed. Neither of these looks like a 4IH to me. Both symmetrical, which the 4IH is not. The one on the left looks like a half Windsor. Nice knot, actually. The one on the right looks like an Oriental, the simplest and smallest of the symmetrical (or any other, actually) knots.

Just sayin' . . .

Drudged

Reaction score
The one on the let looks like a 4IH, but a little thicker than normal. I love the double 4IH, but usually find it beginning to look rather symetrical due to the thickness that comes with tying it. It depends on the silk and construction of the tie, fo course.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one on the right is a 4iH. It looks thicker because it's a big thick knit tie. If your knots come up tiny, you probably just have thin (either in the x or z dimensions) ties. Look for ones with a bit more heft.

tmcevoy213

Reaction score
I don't know how you are tying it, but if it is coming out too small, don't pull it super tight. I find leaving a nice 4ih on the looser side helps thinner-material ties look better.

Drudged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tmcevoy213
I don't know how you are tying it, but if it is coming out too small, don't pull it super tight. I find leaving a nice 4ih on the looser side helps thinner-material ties look better.

Proper dimpling then becomes tough, though.

tmcevoy213

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Drudged
Proper dimpling then becomes tough, though.

I used to try to get a certain type of dimple but I started thinking it looked rather affected. I don't like to force it now.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gaseousclay
the four-in-hand is the lazy man's knot and asymmetrical - avoid it like the plague

facepalm.gif

Better start getting breast pockets on both sides of your coats, wouldn't want to be 'asymmetrical' would you...

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tie a Half Windsor 90% of the time, and it comes out looking like the one on the left.
But, it could just as easily be a double-4IH, Prince Albert, or Princess Victoria.

The one on the right just looks likes like a plain 4IH with a wide-ish tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads