• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What things affect suit durability

Verve

Reaction score
I had one tailor suggest I have two pants made for each suit and then switch between the pants each time I wear the suit to combat the problem that a couple of commenters have noted about excessive wear in the seat from my Aeron chair. (Just kidding, I don't have an Aeron chair!)

I did so, but I would be curious to get other opinions as to whether this was a wise investment or merely a tailor taking advantage of me!

And I had a dry cleaner explain that even with dry cleaning, over time, colors will fade, and that's why they suggest that you dry clean the jacket and pants (or in my case, both pants) together each time. Otherwise, you end up with pieces that are slightly different fades of color that will make the suit seem wrong to the eye.

Again, would be curious for this board's opinion as to whether this makes sense or if my dry cleaner is also trying to take advantage of me!
The first company I used recommended to buy extra trousers with the suit orders, and the proposition that trousers wear out faster than jackets made sense to me. However, the current tailor I’m using (Divij Hemrajani), gave additional information: not all cloth have the same durability factor. Many fabrics don’t require a 2nd trouser purchase as it should last a lifetime because I also have a rotation of suits. If I only own one or two suits and wear them frequently, then the variables change, and maybe I should order 2 trousers. To cut this short, it was refreshing to hear Divij counter the argument that I do not have to buy 2 trousers when placing a suit order through him even though it would have benefitted him financially. Thus, he’s earned my trust versus the 1st company I used to buy from.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also thought that when I got my MTM suit made, I should get a 2nd pair of pants. But the SA recommended against doing this, and said the technology of producing durable wool have improved and this rule no longer holds true today.

Now that being said, I only wear the suit ocassionally on business trips so the case might be different if you wear a suit to work 5 days a week 8 hours a day. YMMV.

St1X

Reaction score
It depends on a wool - high twist wools will most likely last you as long as a jacket. But high super wools are way less likely to last as long

bluesman528

Reaction score
Having a big rotation isn’t going to make any one suit withstand more wearings. If it’s well cared for, a suit will withstand X wearings, be that spread over one year or a decade. Having a bigger rotation just lets you procrastinate individual wearings.
That's obviously true but if you embrace it that way this whole economizing "my suit fabric has to be like stainless steel" thing will not matter anymore for you. You would be even able to add some high-quality fabrics to the rotation which are not made for withstanding abrasion in the first place but are simply nice to touch and wear in any kind of hot and cold weather. It changes your perspective and that will add much to your individual joy with tailored clothing.

KayGeeLC

Reaction score
Edit. I did a quick search after posting a question about steaming

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads