1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What They Sell at Daffy's -- New Blog on Daffy's Menswear

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Peurist, Feb 13, 2011.

Tags:
  1. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

That's the plan. The 34th Street/Herald Square location will be the last to go. It is considered the flagship.

2. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

I would imagine that the last to go would be some of the locations in NJ that they own rather than lease -- Elizabeth, Secaucus, etc.

3. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

You could be right. I just asked some SAs at the Herald Square Daffy's to confirm what I read here and they said that their store would be the last. But SAs probably don't know that for sure.

4. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

checked the store near port authority, herald square and union square. not many mastai shirts. union square had the most but they were in casual fabrics and odd designs.

i was looking for work appropriate fabrics and patterns.

5. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

I think that a young lady shopping for her husband and I cleaned out the Union Square store of the more classic designs and fabrics. The manager there told me they had more in the back, as did Herald Square. Make friends with someone there and ask if they have more stock in the back in your size that you can see.

It's hit or miss with Daffy's staff, though. They can be super friendly or they can be super unfriendly...

6. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

i asked at both locations and both staff members said nothing more in the back :(

when did you go?

7. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

I was there last Friday afternoon. I only bought 40s, and it looked like the majority in Union Sq were 40s. In Herald Sq, there were a lot of sizes. Actually, a greater mix. But also a lot of the more flashy, darkly colored styles. I bought more in Union Sq.

Someone posted earlier that they were getting 10,000 shirts in. Kudos to Daffy's if they sold 10K shirts in one weekend. Maybe you can check the 57th East and Grand Central stores.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  8. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

How good is the David Chu, Pennesi, De Curtis, and Royal Hem stuff? The DC are listed a $800+.

9. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I found them all to be ok, nothing great or terrible.

10. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

David Chu is very high quality. Cannot speak to the other stuff.

11. thegreatgatsby

thegreatgatsby Senior member

Royal Hem is - simply put - exquisite stuff. The cut is SLIM - go up at least one size in a blazer/suit jacket.

DeCurtis/Copen Group is a mixed bag. I picked up a polyester suit that is James Bond-sharp (but it's still polyester). I'm a 36 - and it looks - every inch - custom made. Despite it being polyester/spandex, it drapes quite nicely.

On the other hand, DeCutis/Copen Group has blazers that are 100% wool - and some of these are quite nice. I would compare them (in terms of quality - and in terms of what I saw at Daffy's in recent days), with Boglioli.

The shoulders are a bit truncated, but the construction, fabrics, and cut are excellent.

12. Peurist

Peurist Senior member

Ditto on the David Chu. Royal Hem/Pennesi/De Curtis are all made by http://www.copengroup.com. Their stuff is made decently, usually half-canvassed, but the fit is what is so great about it -- Chu is much more generously proportioned, while the Copen Group items are generally very fitted and better for the slim folks out there. If it means anything, one of the Copen Group blazers I saw had a Lardini label inside, and I also saw a pair of pants from Copen group that were clearly made by, or made for, Incotex -- Copen also manufactures for a number of different labels, so you see random things popping up every so often.

13. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Thanks all for the reply. There seems to be stuff hitting the stores in NYC now :slayer:

Funny how the Copen stuff costs more than the David Chu stuff.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  14. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

The Chu stuff was made for an American market, while the Copen etc was not. The Chu stuff is a few years old, I think. I suspect the high end Chu label failed and they cleared out everything -- if Daffys can sell it for 10% of retail, imagine what they bought it for.

As for post-Daffy's shopping, when the time comes, for me it's Yoox. No one else brings the magic trinity of low prices, mysterious brands, and indifferent service.

When you look closely at the site, many of the brands we like, for ex the SAITT group shirt brands, are already there. Prices are sometimes almost as good.

Still, not the same experience...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  15. Ebonyman

Ebonyman Senior member

"Post Daffy's". Oh what a depressing thought....

On a lighter note, I picked up my second David Chu SC this afternoon at 44th & Mad. Funny, the moment I tried it on, two gentlemen standing nearby almost simultaneously nodded their approval and asked where they could find them hanging.

The version I bought today is a nice brown "Harris tweed" look. It has a wonderful drape and is a wool/cashmere blend in a fall/winter early spring weight material. The first DC jacket I bought last week was 100% in a year round weight.

The "Harris" had a retail sticker of $895 and the plaid from last week had a $995 sticker.

The remaining DC jackets at this location were 40R.

16. stu00a

stu00a Senior member

Anyone expecting the last Incotex frenzy before they close?

17. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

photos?

18. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I picked up 4 of them, and will try to get some pics up tonite.

19. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Rumor is no.

20. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

looking forward to it!

what size?