• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What tea did you enjoy last night?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm, I don’t think this thread exists. Here we go!

Last night, I tried some very old yancha, a 1997 Horse Head Cliff shui xian from Essence of Tea. Very interesting experience as compared to every other Wuyi oolong I’ve ever had, which I assume has to do with the exceptional age.

I brewed it gong fu-style in a 100ml zhuni teapot, which I filled more than 3/4 full with leaves (about 9-10 grams). We used filtered spring water, heated to 100 degrees Celsius. I flash-brewed the first four or five steeps, about a second each. Subsequent steeps I increased to 4-5 seconds. The last couple of steeps were 10-20 seconds.

First of all, the smell of the liquor: old books, mossy funk, slight tinge of over-ripe fruit. Not very complex, but quite clear and consistent across all nine steeps.

The taste: again, not very complex, but very clear and lasting. Zero astringency and very quiet and mellow flavor development in the mouth. After a moment, the taste of over-ripe lychee surfaces—you know, when all the sweetness is gone and the flesh of the fruit has shrunk and oxidized. Rock and mineral notes are very present, but l would otherwise not have guessed from taste alone that this was yancha at all.

Mouth feel and texture were exceptional! Extremely smooth and thick soup. Leaves the mouth and throat feeling coated with fuzz.

Overall, a very elegant and extremely unique yancha, though I think some experience with non-aged yancha would provide helpful context for appreciating it. Some might be disappointed by the quieter, less complex fragrance and taste, but they’d be missing out on the very special texture and feel.

Last edited:

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, not last night but this afternoon we brewed a 1976 Liu Bao. Certainly a tea for contemplation, like the spongy inner bark of a cedar trea, faint supportive astringency, and a light sandalwood top note. Velvety on the tongue. An afternoon delight.

-H

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We tried a "fruit tea" from the Auberge du Soleil ... sent to us by a friend. It was ... odd.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tonight we are enjoying Harney & Son's Gyokuro.

c0de

Reaction score
Tea newbie here.. my wife and I enjoyed tea, but have not done so in a while. That said, I want to throw everything out (most of which expired for a WHILE) and start fresh. So I guess my questions are:
  • Where should I buy tea online? We had David's tea close to us but they since closed. I enjoyed sampling before buying, which I'll miss here.
  • What's a good starter set? Black, Chamomile, Earl Grey (I enjoy Lady Grey as well), and Moroccan Mint are on my list, but not sure where to take it next to expand out palette

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tea newbie here.. my wife and I enjoyed tea, but have not done so in a while. That said, I want to throw everything out (most of which expired for a WHILE) and start fresh. So I guess my questions are:
  • Where should I buy tea online? We had David's tea close to us but they since closed. I enjoyed sampling before buying, which I'll miss here.
  • What's a good starter set? Black, Chamomile, Earl Grey (I enjoy Lady Grey as well), and Moroccan Mint are on my list, but not sure where to take it next to expand out palette

Well, depends on what kind of tea. Sounds like you may be looking specifically for English-style teas, which are far afield from what I know and enjoy.

If you’re up for it, I’d suggest exploring loose leaf Chinese teas if you are trying to get more serious, along with gong fu-style brewing. It is really quite eye-opening.

c0de

Reaction score
Well, depends on what kind of tea. Sounds like you may be looking specifically for English-style teas, which are far afield from what I know and enjoy.

If you’re up for it, I’d suggest exploring loose leaf Chinese teas if you are trying to get more serious, along with gong fu-style brewing. It is really quite eye-opening.
What are a few of your favorites? I like English tea because that’s all I know, not due to preference.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What are a few of your favorites? I like English tea because that’s all I know, not due to preference.

Well, traditional gong fu tea is a very different experience and method.

Unlike English teas, Chinese teas tend to be single leaf and only tea (nothing but leaves), which means that the starting material has to be much higher quality. The flagship Chinese tea is oolong tea from Wuyi, or yancha. It it sort of the Burgundy or Bordeaux of tea. “Cheap” yancha is $1 per gram and you need 8-10g for a 100ml tea pot (enough tea for one or two people to taste over an hour or so). This stuff can be drinkable and pleasant or it can be awful. Good yancha is more like $2-3 per gram. Better stuff starts at $4-8 per gram. Really good yancha . . . sky is the limit. In other words a decent yancha will often be $30-50 for a single tasting session. Like a bottle of good wine. The really, really good stuff will be hundreds or thousands of dollars for a session.

Other Chinese teas cost less and Taiwanese oolong teas offer superior consistency along with better value, but all are generally going to be much more costly than English tea.

The method of extracting the most flavor from these teas is called “gong fu” brewing: fast , repeated infusions of densely packed tea leaves. You stuff your teapot ~80% full of leaves, then fill with boiling spring water and immediately pour it out. You are steeping for a single second each time. Typically, six to eight steeps are possible from a single pot of decent quality oolong. After the first several steeps, you start increasing the time (to maybe 5-10 seconds) to maintain the same strength.

The tea is drunk from tiny tea cups—about three sips worth per cup (30-50ml). You are tasting, not so much drinking.

Anyway, that is the gist. It is simpler than it sounds at first and really delivers a for more complex and intense experience than most of us are used to.

c0de

Reaction score
Well, traditional gong fu tea is a very different experience and method.

Unlike English teas, Chinese teas tend to be single leaf and only tea (nothing but leaves), which means that the starting material has to be much higher quality. The flagship Chinese tea is oolong tea from Wuyi, or yancha. It it sort of the Burgundy or Bordeaux of tea. “Cheap” yancha is $1 per gram and you need 8-10g for a 100ml tea pot (enough tea for one or two people to taste over an hour or so). This stuff can be drinkable and pleasant or it can be awful. Good yancha is more like $2-3 per gram. Better stuff starts at $4-8 per gram. Really good yancha . . . sky is the limit. In other words a decent yancha will often be $30-50 for a single tasting session. Like a bottle of good wine. The really, really good stuff will be hundreds or thousands of dollars for a session.

Other Chinese teas cost less and Taiwanese oolong teas offer superior consistency along with better value, but all are generally going to be much more costly than English tea.

The method of extracting the most flavor from these teas is called “gong fu” brewing: fast , repeated infusions of densely packed tea leaves. You stuff your teapot ~80% full of leaves, then fill with boiling spring water and immediately pour it out. You are steeping for a single second each time. Typically, six to eight steeps are possible from a single pot of decent quality oolong. After the first several steeps, you start increasing the time (to maybe 5-10 seconds) to maintain the same strength.

The tea is drunk from tiny tea cups—about three sips worth per cup (30-50ml). You are tasting, not so much drinking.

Anyway, that is the gist. It is simpler than it sounds at first and really delivers a for more complex and intense experience than most of us are used to.

Thank you for the detailed starter guide! I appreciate the time you spent writing it up and sharing your knowledge, this is a good foundation for me to research a little bit more and get started!

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typically, six to eight steeps are possible from a single pot of decent quality oolong.
Silly question ... must all the steeps be done in a single session, or is it possible to spare the already-used leaves of tea for another moment?
Thank you for the interesting tutorial!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Silly question ... must all the steeps be done in a single session, or is it possible to spare the already-used leaves of tea for another moment?
Thank you for the interesting tutorial!

Not a silly question at all. Generally, yes, you’d want to do it all in one sitting. I’ve sometimes resumed a session the next day, but only with less expensive teas since the tea suffers a bit.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
If you’re up for it, I’d suggest exploring loose leaf Chinese teas if you are trying to get more serious, along with gong fu-style brewing.

Sounds to me like you’re throwing him/them into the fire. I get where you’re going at, but wouldn’t it probably be easier to buy sencha and get accustomed to that world first? In general easier to find as well, and people have usually some vague idea of the differences.

Even though black tea has been his forte.

Last edited:

Martinian

Reaction score
Still fairly new in terms of tea culture. Although I enjoy drinking tea quite often, I still have a lot of teas to try. Oolong tea is definitively one of my favorites.

Martinian

Reaction score
Update! Yesterday night I tried a very interesting Portuguese herbal tea. Someone offered it to me a while ago, and I had it just sitting there on a shelf so I decided to give it a go. It was actually a very pleasant surprise.

The tea itself was a loose leaves mixture of lemon thyme, peppermint, echinacea and wild mallow, made by a brand named Aromáticas d'Palma. In terms of flavor it had a citric and fresh taste that contrasted quite well with the sweetness of the mallow flowers. The plants they used had a really great quality as well, after i place them in the water it seemed as if they were fresh again!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads