• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sunglasses are you wearing?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Aha. Slim reminded me where I had definitely seen the Drifters before:
drifter3wk.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen the Oakley's pictured, and like them (although they don't fit my face at all). However, their wraparound shape still makes them not particular suitable, imo. They look much better with jeans and tees and activewear. I think that the minimalist Silhouettes, classic rectangular shapes, or Aviators look much better with suits. Kent, I agree that the sunglasses are not the best shape for you. I understand that you like Avaitors, but you don't really have an Aviator compatible face (few Asians do). I would really recommend a more angular pair for you. If you are in the LA area, go to L.A. Eyeworks on Melrose, and they will hook you up right. Those people know their stuff. I could see you in a pair of Starcks.

BTW, I think that there are plenty of plastic (actually, most of them are acetate, or generally called "zyl") framed sunglasses that look great with suits. It depends a lot more on the shape and design than the material used.

brooklyn

Reaction score
I've seen the Oakley's pictured, and like them (although they don't fit my face at all).  However, their wraparound shape still makes them not particular suitable, imo.  They look much better with jeans and tees and activewear.  I think that the minimalist Silhouettes, classic rectangular shapes, or Aviators look much better with suits.  Kent, I agree that the sunglasses are not the best shape for you.  I understand that you like Avaitors, but you don't really have an Aviator compatible face (few Asians do).  I would really recommend a more angular pair for you.  If you are in the LA area, go to L.A. Eyeworks on Melrose, and they will hook you up right.  Those people know their stuff.  I could see you in a pair of Starcks.  

BTW, I think that there are plenty of plastic (actually, most of them are acetate, or generally called "zyl") framed sunglasses that look great with suits.  It depends a lot more on the shape and design than the material used.
I have a pair of maui jims which are similar to the silhouettes. Unless you are talking about a different pair the silhouettes wrap around more than the oakleys

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I suppose that the Silhouettes wrap around, but the frameless style, imo, coordinates better with suits that the sporty Oakley wraps.

I personally ha ve blue tinted sunglasses which I had made using a pair of heavier grey/silver ProDesign frames. I can never find anything *RTW* that I really like, and compliments my face, sunglasseswise.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I have a pair of RayBan Sidestreets with the polarized lens. Ray Ban Sidestreets They work quite well here in the Arizona summer and seem look equally good with suits or shorts. Bradford

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen the Oakley's pictured, and like them (although they don't fit my face at all).  However, their wraparound shape still makes them not particular suitable, imo.  
In addition, they're not very trad.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cutler & Gross 1960s-style frames.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear these, in black, as my regular glasses (clear lenses). I think I'm going to get a second pair in tortoise with transition lenses.
AUSTK1L8.jpg

brooklyn

Reaction score
I wear these, in black, as my regular glasses (clear lenses). I think I'm going to get a second pair in tortoise with transition lenses.
AUSTK1L8.jpg
Does persol come in a transition lense or is that a custom job?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those are Oleg Cassini, not Persol.

I believe transition lenses are always a custom job. Regardless, I would need a prescription so they would have to be custom for me.

Cliff

Reaction score
(Cliff @ June 10 2005,09:09) I currently have three sets of Silhouette's, they are comfortable, minimalist - easy to wear. http://www.silhouette.com
Cliff: what style(s) Silhouettes do you own? And how would you say the lenses compare, say, to Maui Jim?
I bought them a while ago so unfortunately, I forget. The shop I frequented carried many different styles but I wanted an aviator style. Some of the others are too small for my face and look funny. The frames are the same but one pair is polarized (required different lenses) and two are not. I also have a pair of Maui Jims (avaitor style) that are polarized and I also like them a great deal. I would say the lenses on my Maui Jims and the silhouettes are similar, I think the Maui Jims are slightly darker (close to being too dark). I like both of them as they are titanium and very lightweight; after a day of wearing, they don't leave a 'divot' on the side of my nose. I think the silhouettes are slightly better made but then they coast more than the Maui Jims.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear Armani sunglasses most of the time. Armani doesn't make glasses any more I understand -- I bought these perhaps 5 years ago and amazingly haven't lost or sat on them yet. For biking/boating, I have my Vuarnets that are now probably getting close to 15 years old. I had misplaced them for a few years but recently found them again -- they are great glasses, regardless of how retro they look.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a pair of Nike Hyperions. I couldn't find them listed on Nike's web site but this is a similar pair on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws....16&rd=1 Mine have black lenses, however, not purple. Eh...they do the job.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks all for the tips. I spend a lot of time in shades as I have rather light-sensitive eyes. My fear of getting more rectangular shades is that I wolud look too Asian. Perhaps I'll reconsider next time I go shopping.

Still on the subject of matching sunglasses, does anyone else find that brown-colored lenses match poorly with a grey suit while charcoal is the most versatile? I think all the shades posted so far have charcoal lenses, including mine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads