• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Suits to Make for Summer Wedding

citymonkey

Reaction score
Hello.

A friend of mine is getting married in Santa Barbara in August.

He is getting suits made for himself and the groomsman. Any thoughts on what I can suggest for him? He was leaning towards cotton, but linen or light wool would seem more appropriate. Also, he doesn't want ties.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
For summer, linen is a classic and dignified choice, especially if you're going sans tie. Cotton seersucker, on the other hand, is also fine.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
For summer, linen is a classic and dignified choice, especially if you're going sans tie. Cotton seersucker, on the other hand, is also fine.

Cotton seersucker doesn't go over very well in California.

citymonkey

Reaction score
Yes, seersucker was eliminated early on - in California, it would appear to be more of an affectation than a way to stay cool.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Think about the event.

I imagine the suits will have to go from pre-ceremony, through the ceremony and receiving lines, all the way to reception and post-party. That's 6 - 12 hours of pretty heavy use. Linen and even cotton will get terribly, terribly wrinkled. I would think a light-weight wool or even wool-silk blend would be better. Two years ago I attended a September wedding in Santa Barbara and wore wool; by the end of the evening, I was actually a little chilly.

If he cannot swing that, I'd say a cotton poplin is a good choice and likely a bit cheaper. Given that a dark color is less likely to show wrinkles and champagne spills, I'd go with something dark. Since he's having them made, he could do a dove to dark gray, which is not a color someone sees in cotton suitings very often. For example, think about the shade of morning suits for a day wedding, but in a cotton poplin, or a darker gray for a dusk or evening wedding. If he wanted to stand out, he could do a charcoal or black, with the groomsmen a shade or two lighter. With nice smoked MOP buttons, that could be elegant and different.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cotton poplin is hot in the sun and cold in the shade. And it will show dirt and perspiration quite readily. Wool is a better choice in general, and could be blended with linen, silk , or mohair if you want a slightly different look.

Mr. Magoo is quite right-- focus on the event. Something with a medium degree of durability and breatheability, in a color that will look right in different times of day, etc.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with a light weight wool, if you get a chance check out the section on wool in the Roetzel book - Gentleman's Guide and there is an interesting note about how people in Saudi Arabia and the tribes in the dessert all use wool in the day as the best material against high heat.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lightweight wool would be best for this duty. Suggest getting a half lining in the jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads