• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What suits should I be looking for? 38S jacket, 135 lbs, 28" waist, 5'3"

WiredandTired

Reaction score
Suit supply might be your ticket. Lots say the pants fit slim. The shipping is free and quick, but since you're in NY you might as well go into the store and try all their models.

changeling

Reaction score
Sorry for dropping out -- thanks for the suggestion on RLBL, HF and some Canali and Corneliani ... I checked ebay, and it looks like most of recent waist sizes were still 31 and up! Maybe I'll stick to looking for jackets used. I'll keep an eye out though.

changeling

Reaction score
As for suit supply, I called them a few months ago. They had one or two suits that would fit me, but the rep said I'd mainly have to look at separates there as well, alas.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
hey check the thread I started on 'clothes for the short guy' or something like that. I'm similar stats to you. I think it'll come down to shoulder size. I'm 5'6 130 28 waist (true waist 30) but like a 34s or at best a 36s, but it's only because of small shoulders. Depends how and where you carry your weight.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ yeah that's the thread.

what I mean about shoulders is my chest is 37-38 inches, waist is 30 inches (size 28 pants), so you'd think I'm a 36s, but I need like 16.5 width shoulders, and those are impossible to find on a 36s, so I end up sizing down to 34s's and the pants and chest are a little snug. 36s does work for me in a few brands that are slim cut like say Prada or Dior, and softer bodies like Armani Collezioni, and even Theory in 36s but Burberry in a 34s is pretty bang on. But that's just me. If you have 17-18 shoulders, then most 36s's should work for you. Or depending on how you carry your weight, it's possible you're a 38s but based on being 135 that seems large.

MTM may be your best bet? Or really, just go with a list of brands (and a few models in each) and go fit on a LOT of suits

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads