• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What suits are slim fitting? Have low-rise pants? Are very modern and sleek?

sdsurfer

Reaction score
I've been shopping around for suits and it's starting to give me a headache. I already have a couple Boss suits which are nice but they still aren't exactly what I'm looking for. I do have a tailor that can make alterations but I'd like to ask if anyone out there knows what brands and/or styles of suits would you suggest for someone looking for a very modern cut suit. Something that fits an atheletic body well and shows it. Do any designer make suits right now with low-rise pants? I've heard a Gucci suit comes close to this. I started learning more about suits and found out about Kiton, Brioni, etc. but most of these off the shelf come with jackets that are very full and pleated pants (probably because CEOs are buying them). I need something that looks more like it's a suit in a fashion show. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks!

sdsurfer

Reaction score
Oh yeah if anyone knows good resale stores in Southern California that have these kind of suits please post store info. Thanks!

Waltar

Reaction score
Homme dior and Dolce & Gabbana are the only two I can think of that do truly low rise trousers.

v0rtex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sdsurfer
I've been shopping around for suits and it's starting to give me a headache. I already have a couple Boss suits which are nice but they still aren't exactly what I'm looking for. I do have a tailor that can make alterations but I'd like to ask if anyone out there knows what brands and/or styles of suits would you suggest for someone looking for a very modern cut suit. Something that fits an atheletic body well and shows it. Do any designer make suits right now with low-rise pants? I've heard a Gucci suit comes close to this. I started learning more about suits and found out about Kiton, Brioni, etc. but most of these off the shelf come with jackets that are very full and pleated pants (probably because CEOs are buying them). I need something that looks more like it's a suit in a fashion show. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks!

In addition to the aforementioned Dior Homme, Jil Sander and Helmut Lang tend to be on the ultra-modern side. HL isn't producing any more, but his suits do pop up on eBay fairly regularly.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andrew Mackenzie, Dsquared, Costume National (a little less super-low rise), too.

stach

Reaction score
Isn't low rise going out of style?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stach
Isn't low rise going out of style?
one can only hope
blush.gif

just kidding, sdsurfer (sort of) - good luck with your search

pkincy

Reaction score
To my mind Polo is always very low rise. I tried on a pair of Purple Label Linen pants this week at the sale and couldn't wear them due to the low rise. I also have bought a NWT Polo Ralph Lauren tan slacks that I haven't gotten hemmed due to the low rise. Nice slacks however. If anyone needs a size 36 let me know. Now that is still not a hip hugger style but they definitely sit on the hip not the belly.

Also many of the italian made for Italy slacks are made with tighter butt and upper legs and lower rise than the US styles. Brioni and Zanella comes to mind. Now how to tell that it is made for Italy rather than the US is the trick. I bought the Brioni's and Zanella's used on Ebay only to discover that the tagged and measured size were fine but the fit was much different than the US style and fit.

Perry

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
those Gavin Rossdale Ralph Lauren Black Labels maybe. For the money youre looking at on most of those designers, you may as well get Chan to make you one (or two) though.

sdsurfer

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback (and please keep it coming)! Let me ask you guys this: would it be a bad idea to buy a suit that doesn't really have that modern style cut but then take it to my tailor and have him make alterations to it to hopefully give it that "Gucci Couture" look? For example, I was thinking of buying a really nice suit like a Brioni or maybe even Kiton that is top quality. However, these off the rack are more for an older CEO-type than a younger slim/fit guy like myself. I was hoping I could get the best of both worlds here with top quality fabric and name but make modifications to the suit in order to bring about some style. I know typical things I will encounter is that Brioni and Kiton seem to have pleated pants, so I would take the pants to my tailor and have him take the pleates out and make them lower in the waist and more form fitting. What are your thoughts on all this? Bad idea or what?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to throw out Thom Browne's name here.

and why take pleats out? You should have a few classic-cut suits to fall back on certain occasions or when you get older. I don't think low-rise looks good on 40-50 year old, and a Kiton will last a lifetime.

drake

Reaction score
You are going to spend a lot on the kinds of alterations you are talking about but if you are willing to pay retail for Kiton I suppose that won't be a problem.

Have you thought about getting a Kiton suit MTM (Made to measure, they alter the stock pattern to fit you better and gives you a little bit of customization)? I think at the trunk shows they even waive the MTM fee.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can afford to buy Kiton/Brioni and screw around with it, do go with MTM or bespoke.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually why don't you just buy Gucci?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He mentioned that he wanted top quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads