What suit would suit me?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ben Cooper, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Ben Cooper

Ben Cooper Member

Thanks for all the comments. I did post a reply nearly an hour ago but it hasn't appeared yet, something to do with me being a new user so it's being moderated? [​IMG]

2. Ben Cooper

Ben Cooper Member

Bit of sarcasm there musicguy??

3. Ben Cooper

Ben Cooper Member

Anyway once again thanks for all the comments I've got a much better idea of what I should be looking for [​IMG].

On a random note I love this suit!

[​IMG]

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Now that, I can agree with.

5. Ben Cooper

Ben Cooper Member

I'll let my wife know you all approve! Lol.

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

Take yourself to one of the larger branches of Marks and Spencers and get one there. You can buy trousers and coat as separates and their quality is well recommended by none less than Tom Mahon.

The price range is extensive which leaves you to please your wallet easily. When you want to move to bespoke your cutter will advise you.

7. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

I don't know where you are in the UK, but if you're close to one of their shops, go to Ede and Ravenscroft. They have great stuff, especially during sales times, and have experienced salespersons who know what will look good on you. Or any other established gentleman's outfitter near you. Also, there seem to be more and more small-town tailors in the UK providing good stuff for great prices.

8. Ben Cooper

Ben Cooper Member

GBR - I'll have a good look M&S next time I'm out and about then thanks [​IMG]

RogerC - I live in Gosport(next to Portsmouth)

I would quite happily spend hundreds if not thousands of pounds on suits/coats/shoes etc but I can't see that happening for a long time! I love the amount of detail you can go into when picking out an outfit. I've also said to myself I will not be getting another watch until I can afford an Omega Seamaster, again that's gonna be a while. Luckily I have time on my side I guess.

Someone mentioned about not going for anything that's 'in' at the moment, I'm not interested in that at all. Timeless all the way for me.

So back to my original question, what I would like to know is what do you guys think would suit me/what would you suggest I go for? I know everyone has their own personal preference but I'd like to have some opinions as you all know what you're talking about and I don't!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  9. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

This answers your question pretty well.

10. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Cioni gave you a lot of good advice but the knuckle test is BS as the issue is the length of your torso and not your arms. These are not always in harmony with each other.

11. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

OK, so to get a clearer picture:

- why do you want to wear suits (office environment, nights on the town, ...)
    - how often would you be wearing one
    - what's your price range?

In any case, I've seen good things come out of Tyrwhitt. They often have slightly better cloth than high street, and more original designs.

12. Ben Cooper

Ben Cooper Member

RogerC, it would be business wear 95% of the time and if poosible I'd wear a suit most days. Most guys in the office don't wear one and I'd like to stand out as being very smart but not flashy(if that's possible). At this moment in time if I were to go shopping the most I'd spend would be £250-£300.

As I mentioned before I don't want anything that will date quickly(fashion forward??) and to my eye Daniel Craig is dressed brilliantly in his Bond films although I'm not as broad as him.

13. connor09

connor09 Senior member

I think the suit's perfectly fine.

14. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

IMO the shoulders of the suit seems to be fine. The shoulders seemed to go for the strong shoulder style, sorta like those from RLBL. If you don't like the shoulders then I would recommend you go for softer shoulders with less padding. At least that's what my eyes seem to tell me.

15. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

So we're thinking about three things;
    - Fit: have the fit of your current suits examined in the tailor's thread on this forum. They will tell you what to look out for
    - Image: You want to be smart, but not flashy, in an office where most people don't wear suits. You'll be the best judge of this, but you don't want to come across as a prat. So do think about whether a suit every day is a good idea, or whether you want to build toward that, eg. by wearing a blazer/sports coat or by working on the details (nicer ties, pocket square, shoes ...)
    - Quality: For your budget, I'd look indeed towards M&S, Tyrwhitt, etc. I have no experience with M&S, Tyrwhitt is decent for the price. However, if you can stretch the budget just a little, enterprises like Bookster will do you a decent suit/sports coat, which will be a big step ahead. Also, consider your local vintage clothing store

And last, but perhaps most important: get good shoes. They betray more about you than you'd care to think.