• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What suit for an interview?

thejackal

Reaction score
I currently have no suits and need to buy one to start of with. The first one I purchase will be used for job interviews and also for work once I get a new job. I will purchase a couple more very shortly after.

Would I be able to get away with buying a suit simliar to what Sebastian wears at the start of Cruel Intentions? I would purchase a shirt and tie to match too.

If this wouldn't work, what color suit, shirt, and ties should I purchase?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, here it is again the first suit/job interview question. We REALLY need to archive a definative post about this question. Between this forum and the old GQ forum, I'd say we've answered this question at least a dozen times. Anyway...

Here it is: For a first interview; navy suit + conservative shirt/tie; nothing bold or too flashy + SHINED shoes and a good shave; Smile. Follow up second interview: Charcoal suit or a pinstripe + same formula again, conservative. Definatly don't wear a black suit or buy one for your first suit; not versitile enough.

I can remember what type of suit was in the beginning of Cruel Intentions. You need to remind us what it was and we'll tell you if it's appropriate or not.

thejackal

Reaction score
the suit in cruel intentions was a charcoal suit with a greeny/browny shirt and tie.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A charcoal suit is fine for a job interview. Go with a white shirt unless it is a "creative" job. Trying to look too "cool" is definitely not going to score you points with the interviewers. So ditch everything that says that you're a clothes horse: French cuff shirts, expensive watch (better to go with something moderate and modest), any but the most conservative ties, monkstrap shoes or boots, pockets squares, all gone. Make sure that the cut of your suit is slightly boxy as well. And stick with either a single or unvented jacket. A slim silhouette is good for the clubs, but does your boss really want an employee who's out until 6 every second night?

I think the image you want to superimpose is 1) hardworking, 2) smart, and 3) A bit of a geek. Take a look around at really successful people. Coolness is good if you're an actor, but not so great if you're trying to sell someone on your biotech startup.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Great posts, guys. I think you could also go with a dark green/ olive, depending on your coloring and where you live. Gray or Navy (navy best) if in Boston, NY, Chi., or SF proper. Silicon Valley olive will work. Ecru is a great shirt color also- goes with more than white, and softens your look.

thejackal

Reaction score
thanks guys for all the replies.

i think i'll make my first purchase a navy suit. my question for this though is should i get a 2 button or 3 button jacket?

also what color shoes should i get?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads