What stuff ruins your vacation?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ndsleep612, Apr 22, 2012.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I refuse to allow anything to ruin my vacation. The only thing that's fucked it up in the past has been the flu or food poisoning.

What pisses me off and makes the absolute worst travel companion is the one who never has money - you pay for their bills and then have to collect from them after you get back. This makes things very awkward.

2. otc

otc Senior member

I went to puerto rico for spring break with a bunch of (too many and too disparate) people. I think people spent more time in the house staying up late watching youtube videos and playing cutthroat uno than they did a couple hundred feet away on the beach. I tried to go to bed and get up earlier with my then GF to at least get out and have some local breakfast. Never successfully made it to any sort of nightlife activity...

I ended up waking up one morning to rent a van and come back to start banging together pots and pans and pushing people into it so we could at least go visit the rainforest.

I mean I'm sure they enjoyed their youtubeing and card games (the card game has become a beloved memory of many) but it just felt like a huge fucking waste to me and really made me dislike the whole vacation.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

yeah, thats sounds like a waste of a vacay :(

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Along with those who want to do everything on the cheap. They don't want to pay for a nice meal, or go to a show, or do anything that is fun and entertaining because they perceive it to be too expensive; yet, they're all for it if someone else is paying.

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I did a four day beach trip with some people I was still getting to know. We took three cars for ~10 people. Half of them insisted on having everyone involved for every activity, and some of the people were either stupidly cheap or stupidly picky. It got to the point where a couple of us just said "fuck it", and went off and did our own shit and left the other fools to stay home and drink crappy beer, play cards, and Tiger Woods Golf on the Xbox. Not surprisingly, the first group of people are still my friends and the second group is not.

Also the same group of annoying cheap people threw a shit fit about spending money on food, so we had to go shopping every damn day just to have anything to eat around the house. But we sure as hell didn't run out of beer! I'm spending my own money on food you bastards, shut up about it.

6. in stitches

no need to make fun of the j00cation ;)

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

If the shoe fits.... :laugh:

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

went on a beach trip once with 9 old school friends. one went home the next day for an emergency, a couple takes fucking afternoon naps, six of them sleeps by 10 pm, and only 2 likes to drink. moral of the story is: choose who you go on a trip with.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

IMO the British are the only truly loud nationality. Even when they whisper they are loud.

I find that I have friends with whom I travel well and others I don't. The good companions are, quite often, not people with whom I am very close at home.

10. in stitches

:slayer:

11. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

Are you kidding? In Beijing, the Mainland Chinese were loud as hell....

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

their loudness I can take, but their total lack of understanding what "personal space" is just too fucking much.

13. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Perhaps the understanding and use of "personal space" was strongly discouraged during The Cultural Revolution, as being imperialist and decadent? Same thing with the concept of standing in line/queueing?

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i agree with a lot of what's said here, especially the "don't do stuff" or "inflexible" people. i think it all boils down to selfishness. don't vacation (or do anything) with selfish people. my worst vacation in recent memory was spoiled by a person who forced her way into our plans...then it turns out she doesn't "do stuff" and of the stuff she does, she gets incredibly tired and cranky very quickly and makes everyone miserable unless we stop our fun and all go back to the hotel.

my wife is my favorite traveling companion because she's the most flexible to what i want to do, as long as she gets hers eventually. she once agreed to accompany me on a vacation where i drove a car around a track all day on her birthday, as long as the rest of the trip she got what she wanted. of course it's not a perfect situation - we're guaranteed to have a really, really bad fight once during every trip, but we've learned to plan around that :happy:

15. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

*points across your face* Naaaaaar?!