• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm only curious if I'll get a benefit by putting an optical connection between my server and the network signal coming into the server since my server is connected via USB to the DAC (I use a split USB cable with separate data and power lines).

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SGC has a 30 day return period so I figured I would try it and return if it didn’t do anything for me. YMMV

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Current set up:
Ayre VX-5 Twenty amp
Ayre KX-5 Twenty preamp
PS Audio DirectStream DAC (yes, I need to trade it for silver) (Snowmass software)
PS Audio P20 PerfectWave Power Regenerator (on a dedicated circut)
Oppo UDP 205
Green Mountain Audio speakers
High end Cardas, Furutech and custom cabling
Roon server (not pictured)
BDH cabinet
Samsung QLED TV (not pictured)
Gigabit Intenet and networking upgrades, CAT-7 cables, to accommodate high-res lossless streaming (photo only shows 16 bit on the DAC)

Sound: great
Footprint: huge

Last edited:

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not yet - curious but want to get to know Snomass first.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you heard about the EtherRegen? Might be an alternative to fiber. Don’t know how effective it is because it so new there is no user feedback. Nonetheless, the first two production runs have already sold out.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a search for Devialet in this thread and saw there was some discussion back in 2015. Wanted to bring this up again and see what people's opinions of their phantom gold speakers are in 2019.

I currently have a B&O Beoplay A9 and am considering getting 2 phantom golds for proper left/right separation. Would this be a noticeable difference in sound quality?

For the price of 2 phantom golds + legs I can likely get a pair of pre-owned B&O Beolab 20s, which was my original plan but I read about a rather widespread issue with the BL20 where one speaker would blast noise at high volumes upon powering on. Seems to happen randomly and B&O would replace a board but as I'd be buying them pre-owned and there's no B&O dealer near me I'd rather not deal with any warranty issues.

Yes, I know that for much less money I can get equal or better audio quality by going with traditional brands but I enjoy the design and simplicity of not having so many cables.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the strengths of Devialet and B&O are in the design. I have heard them both in different points in time and they are both fine. I can't give you a more detailed comparison because it was so long ago and there was nothing that unique from the sound quality to stand out in my memory.

If design is important to you, choose the one you like the look of more. If the design is less important to you, there are now quite a number of powered speakers on the market like from Dynaudio, Kii, ELAC, Dutch and Dutch, just to name a few.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you heard about the EtherRegen? Might be an alternative to fiber. Don’t know how effective it is because it so new there is no user feedback. Nonetheless, the first two production runs have already sold out.

You might want to wait for the release of Schiit's Unison USB module for your Yggy. It's shipping now in the Bifrost 2, and is supposed to be offered for the other DACs in January. Apparently, it's their preferred way for digital interconnection now, and reports from beta testers have been very positive.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might want to wait for the release of Schiit's Unison USB module for your Yggy. It's shipping now in the Bifrost 2, and is supposed to be offered for the other DACs in January. Apparently, it's their preferred way for digital interconnection now, and reports from beta testers have been very positive.

yeah I plan to get the Unison USB when it’s available to the public.

the big decision for me is whether to take the plunge into openbaffle speakers. I have been auditioning the Diesis speakers at my audio dealer but it’s a pricey proposition.

Did you go the Linkwitz open baffle route? I thought you we’re discussing it at one point

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the big decision for me is whether to take the plunge into openbaffle speakers. I have been auditioning the Diesis speakers at my audio dealer but it’s a pricey proposition.

Did you go the Linkwitz open baffle route? I thought you we’re discussing it at one point

Yes, I still have the V1 Orions, and they were pretty much endgame speakers for me. I'm very happy with them, and the bass of a well-implemented dipole speaker is something to behold. There's the imaging stuff at higher frequencies, but for me the real reason for an open baffle is its bass clarity.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I still have the V1 Orions, and they were pretty much endgame speakers for me. I'm very happy with them, and the bass of a well-implemented dipole speaker is something to behold. There's the imaging stuff at higher frequencies, but for me the real reason for an open baffle is its bass clarity.

Did you have trouble with placement? I can do 3-4 feet from the back wall but I am worried that’s not enough

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you have trouble with placement? I can do 3-4 feet from the back wall but I am worried that’s not enough

They're the easiest speakers I've had to place because there's relatively lower room interaction and the off-axis response tends to fall off the same way (ie. no omnidirectional bass, just like there's no omni midrange or high frequencies). They do need some room to breathe behind them, and I'll be putting that to the test soon because I just moved to a new home with a smaller listening area. My previous place had about 3 feet to the rear wall. Siegfried didn't have them pulled out that far from the wall either.

I'm also using a pair of Plutos, which are omnis, as computer speakers in my small office and they're placed less than a foot in front of a large window, and they still sound good with relatively undamaged imaging.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the strengths of Devialet and B&O are in the design. I have heard them both in different points in time and they are both fine. I can't give you a more detailed comparison because it was so long ago and there was nothing that unique from the sound quality to stand out in my memory.

If design is important to you, choose the one you like the look of more. If the design is less important to you, there are now quite a number of powered speakers on the market like from Dynaudio, Kii, ELAC, Dutch and Dutch, just to name a few.

Thanks for the brand recs. May take a look at them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads