• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve had the fires and metals before, now I’m using the Tribe Towers. Totem always offers very good value for money!

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
I’ve had the fires and metals before, now I’m using the Tribe Towers. Totem always offers very good value for money!
Aren't the Tribe series a move down from the Element series....what prompted you to switch? I can see the Metal being a bit overpowering in a small room.

I am at a bit of an impasse as to what speakers to keep. Besides the Metals I just acquired, I also have Apogee Duetta's, Tannoy Monitor Gold's (12") in MINT Stuart cabinets and for the nearfield experience, Linn Kan II's with the matching stands.

I have the Tannoys and the Kans up for sale but haven't figured out whether I'm keeping the Duettas or the Metals.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's the sound quality of Kaiser 10? I'm thinking of getting one also.

I ave the original Kaiser 10 and the Katana. Both are awesome, though I find myself listening to the Katana more

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't the Tribe series a move down from the Element series....what prompted you to switch? I can see the Metal being a bit overpowering in a small room.

I am at a bit of an impasse as to what speakers to keep. Besides the Metals I just acquired, I also have Apogee Duetta's, Tannoy Monitor Gold's (12") in MINT Stuart cabinets and for the nearfield experience, Linn Kan II's with the matching stands.

I have the Tannoys and the Kans up for sale but haven't figured out whether I'm keeping the Duettas or the Metals.

I’m a bit of a speaker nut and I like to try new or innovate speakers. These tribes sound unbelievable. My favourite in the line up are the Fires, there’s just something magical about them. I had them paired with a direct stream junior and a stellar amplifier from PS Audio, just phenomenal.

The tribes are set up with a Naim Atom and I’m really impressed with the sound, even though it shouldn’t work.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
I’m a bit of a speaker nut and I like to try new or innovate speakers. These tribes sound unbelievable. My favourite in the line up are the Fires, there’s just something magical about them. I had them paired with a direct stream junior and a stellar amplifier from PS Audio, just phenomenal.

The tribes are set up with a Naim Atom and I’m really impressed with the sound, even though it shouldn’t work.

As usual, amp synergy is so important. My big Apogee ribbons have an old school Classes DR-3 running them (an excellent match) and the 4 ohm Metals seem to love its massive current and stability (considering it only has 25 watts).

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, Totems love power. I ran the fires with a Musical Fidelity M6si rated at 400 watts in 4 ohm. It had a ton of get up and go.

Ultimately I think it was just a lot of brute force without a lot of finesse.

I guess, power isn’t everything.

Last edited:

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
BTW congrats on your new Wilson’s. I heard the Alexia 2 at a dealer a few months back on Spectrals and they have a real low end body to them. Are you running the Alexias on ARCs?

I would be satisfied with my system if I didn’t know how much better it could be. For my money, I favor Magicos on Jadis. The Magico M3 with the Jadis JA200 + JP80 have a beautiful midrange.

I like it but I’m not sure I can justify the cost.

Yes, ref5se line stage, ref phono 2, and heavily modded VT-100 with KT120s. A friend has the M3s and they sound great.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Siegfried Linkwitz passed away yesterday peacefully in his home after a long fight with prostate cancer. Here's what I wrote on the OPLUG message board (a message board for fans and owners of his speakers):

I had the good fortune to visit Siegfried in his home to listen to the original Orions in the mid 2000s when there was only 1 version of the Orion. He and his lovely wife were warm and welcoming hosts, especially to a stranger who'd just emailed him out of the blue. I was curious about the sound of dynamic dipolar speakers, and was going to be in his neck of the woods, so I sent him a message to see if I could visit him. Those were the days when few enough people followed him that he had an open invitation to visit to hear his creations.

I had no intent of building the speakers, as I thought I had pretty good speakers already (Aerial 10Ts). My exact thoughts were, "I need another large speaker like another hole in the head." But as many of you who have heard his speakers know, less than a minute into the demo, I started thinking about how maybe I could fit another pair of speakers into my home. Then when I heard the organ bass line at the end of Mahler's 2nd symphony stand out clear as day for the first time ever on a recording, the deal was sealed. There are so many good things dynamic dipoles do, but their bass clarity and dynamics still stand out to me as their most distinctive feature.

I've emailed with Siegfried a few times since, and while he was increasingly busy, he was still always very gracious. I think we will all miss him and his spirit. My deepest condolences to his wife, family, and friends. Rest in piece, Siegfried.

borderline

Reaction score
Would like some speaker advice. I have a smallish room--running VTL 80W mono blocks with VTL preamp, phonograph/CD player, and EPOS 11 speakers on stands. These are the monitors. I used to have some Thiel CS3.5 floor standing speakers, but I sold them last year because I didn't like the sound, I think they were just old and the midrange cones were worn out.

I'm looking at used B&W 801 Series 80 (these are fairly old, early 80's?) and Vandersteen Model 3 uncertain vintage but also likely old.

1) Is it worth buying vintage speakers? I know the B&W uses kevlar for some of the cones so not much chance of wearing out. But other components might be worn.

2) Are these speakers going to be OK with the 80W per channel tube amps?

3) Are these speakers overkill for a small room, or is there an advantage to having high quality sound even if they aren't cranked up to 11?

Thanks for any feedback--I'm going to have a chance to demo these but wanted some feedback ahead of time.

Asking prices are B&W $1250, Vandersteen $750.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved both back in the day. In terms of a footprint, I think contemporary speakers are more likely to give big sound in a small footprint, but I think both would sound great with tube gear.

Re: small room, you'll get more benefit from the great ambient sound, but may not find the sweet spot.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Just added a Rega P8 with Ampheta 2 to my setup (Aurender X100L, Chord Blu transport, Devialet 440 Expert PRO, SF Olympia II, Shunyata Triton v3, Entreq Silver Tellus) and I am sold on vinyl. All my cynicism (“I got into vinyl because of the expense and inconvenience”) has melted away. How have I been missing this for so long?

R-O-T

9A64CAB3-4F7D-4249-ACE4-6A508A4615D6.jpeg

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just added a Rega P8 with Ampheta 2 to my setup (Aurender X100L, Chord Blu transport, Devialet 440 Expert PRO, SF Olympia II, Shunyata Triton v3, Entreq Silver Tellus) and I am sold on vinyl. All my cynicism (“I got into vinyl because of the expense and inconvenience”) has melted away. How have I been missing this for so long?

R-O-T

View attachment 1093817

The P8 just came out. I like the look but haven’t seen it here in the US. The dealer said they might be available end of December or early January.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads