• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

lbcgav

Reaction score

Actually, it's for my sister, who has lots of records but a terrible stereo. I've had a Pro-Ject Debut III Phono SB for the past 5 years and I really like it. It's discontinued though and I don't have any experience with the Carbon. I'd be extremely wary of buying a turntable on kickstarter. I also have Epos ELS8 speakers but, again, they're no longer in production. My personal search for affordable gear has led me to these brands (NAD, Pro-Ject, Epos) but there are surely other good options out there. Vintage gear can be great but there's some risk involved and you need a reliable repair shop. I want something with no hassles.

Is this the one you have?
http://www.amazon.com/PRO-JECT-DEBU...1363368066&sr=8-1&keywords=pro-ject+turntable

Apparently the Carbon is an upgrade to the Debut III, mainly with the carbon fiber tonearm, but if you're happy with the Debut III, why not save 100 bones? Or you could spend an extra $50 and get the Rega RP1, which I've read is an upgrade to the Pro-ject Carbon.

Honesty, I think your sister would be very pleased with any of the options that have been described.

Re: Vintage gear, having a good (and affordable) repair shop is certainly the key. Luckily I have a retired electrical engineer work on mine who does it mainly as a hobby.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Re: Vintage gear, having a good (and affordable) repair shop is certainly the key. Luckily I have a retired electrical engineer work on mine who does it mainly as a hobby.

That's gold right there. If anyone knows a guy in the DC area, PM me.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ended up getting the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and a pair of Castle Knight 1 speakers. Sounded pretty good to me and the price was reasonable.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've made a bunch of upgrades recently

Latest acquisition: Pass Labs x250.5. heaven

I also have an Audio Magic XXX for sale if anyone's interested

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
Can someone recommend a decent pair of wireless headphones?

Honestly, sound quality is secondary to range in this application. I'm going to be plugging them into a computer and going between the 2 work rooms in my house, so I just want to be able to listen to music uninterrupted without interference. Of course I'd like to have decent sound quality, but don't want to spend $500 for headphones at this point in time.

Thanks!

joshuadowen

Reaction score
Just bought an Antelope Zodiac DAC. I mostly listen to digital audio, so I'm excited for the upgrade. Now I just need to get a better amp.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just bought an Antelope Zodiac DAC. I mostly listen to digital audio, so I'm excited for the upgrade. Now I just need to get a better amp.

What amps are you looking at?

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a decent pair of speakers that I can use with my laptop, and later on with a record player. Something not overly large, as I tend towards a nomadic lifestyle. What should I be looking at?

Longmorn

Reaction score
Not actively looking just yet. What SHOULD I be looking at? I've got a pair of Sonus Faber Concerto speakers in pretty good condition.

With Sonus Faber, I'd look at a solid state amp for synergy. I'm personally very pleased with my Pass Labs x250.5 (you could easily get away with the x150.5 with your Concertos). I've heard good things about Rowland and Boulder amps as well, but don't have much personal experience with either (I've heard Boulder in a system, but wasn't familiar enough with the other components to know what it was contributing to the playback chain).

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a decent pair of speakers that I can use with my laptop, and later on with a record player. Something not overly large, as I tend towards a nomadic lifestyle. What should I be looking at?

Get this:
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UFO202-Audio-Interface/dp/B002GHBYZ0

This will allow you to have a better line signal to your speakers than the standard laptop audio out. It'll also act as a phono-pre.

And then any pair of powered-speakers that fit your budget and preferences.

Something like this:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AV30/

No receiver necessary. Just speakers and the USB Dac. Ez.

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some advice on upgrading my system with musicality as the prime concern. Don't have the dough to do a full standalone music system so I need to include TV/Movies in the functional mix. Digital music is also necessary. Currently running:

Linn Majik 109 bookshelf speakers (x 2)
Arcam AVR280 Receiver
Logitech Squeezebox Touch

Very happy with the Linn speakers so the Receiver and Squeezebox Touch are sittin pretty on the cutting block. What's the upgrade path of each component? Obv I could just buy a "better" receiver, or could I split it into separates, e.g., pre-amp and 2 channel amp (what else would be needed?). Also what are the alternatives to a Squeezebox Touch?

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads