• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checking in for an update. I went big on vintage audio, all Pioneer (except the speakers):
Pioneer SX-1250 receiver, SG-9500 equalizer, RT-707 and 1011L R2R tape decks, and Monitor 10 headphones. Speakers are ADS L810. All vintage 1976.

1620963852682.png

Good googly moogly! You shot a proper load on your vintage setup.
I like it. I like it a lot. Will this be your "new" main system? Secondary? Tertiary?

Btw: I've been lusting after the RT-707 for some time now and will eventually get one

Nader393

Reaction score
Thanks. It's my main system. The RT-707 is pretty great. I feel lucky to have found one with the original wood case. I have the system in the living room where I spend most of my time (away from the family). I have a modern mid-fi Pioneer AV surround setup in the den connected to my 18 year old Pioneer plasma TV.

The system keeps growing. I found a guy who makes solid walnut cases for Pioneer components, and he made one for my EQ. Then I added a CT-F9191 tape deck that has issues that I need to fix. Common to that tape deck. There's more to come...

IMG_8326.jpeg

IMG_8340.jpeg

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how do the speakers sound? AFAIK I've never heard ADS speakers

That cassette deck is sweet. I'm a big fan of the wood cases and positively despise rack systems.

I just realized something: 2 reel-2-reels and a cassette deck but no turntable. Even I have a turntable. It might be cheesy and sitting in the corner unplugged but I have one

Speaking of wood I've been looking for a new home for my gear and was recently offered an antique tiger oak empire sideboard. I was so excited when I found out it was 54" that I forgot to ask about any other dimensions, especially the height. :rolleyes: I'm going to pick it up next week, clean it up and see how it works out. It has to be better than the beat up bookshelf that I am currently using which also houses a monitor, a cassette deck, a couple cameras, and a small humidor

Confession: From the 2 pictures that I have I think it is kinda clunky and probably too tall for my tastes. The current bookshelf is 40" tall and that's at my upper limit. From this pic I would estimate it is about 36" high...I hope. I already said I would take it so there is no turning back now

tiger oak sidebaord.jpeg

Last edited:

Nader393

Reaction score
ADS (Analog and Digital Systems) speakers are generally excellent. Similar to other great speakers of the '70's-'80's (Infinity Kappa series, JBL 100s, Pioneer HPMs, etc), the golden age of home audio. It was the age of money-no-object monster receivers, the time before microchips, before off-shore production, before the emphasis on form over function brought about by the Bose AM-5 sub-sat systems in the late eighties.

So when I shopped speakers, I wanted vintage, preferably period correct to the rest of my stereo gear. I got my L810s from a high end used audio store. I auditioned them against a more modern high end pair of floor standing speakers, and these won. They are musical, and really strong on bass; they need angled stands, and I still sometimes have to dial down the low frequencies on the EQ. I also love how they look, with those metal grills.

Here's someone else's pic:

93cc3a67ebd04914da758e97364c2832.jpeg

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ADS (Analog and Digital Systems) speakers are generally excellent. Similar to other great speakers of the '70's-'80's (Infinity Kappa series, JBL 100s, Pioneer HPMs, etc), the golden age of home audio. It was the age of money-no-object monster receivers, the time before microchips, before off-shore production, before the emphasis on form over function brought about by the Bose AM-5 sub-sat systems in the late eighties.

So when I shopped speakers, I wanted vintage, preferably period correct to the rest of my stereo gear. I got my L810s from a high end used audio store. I auditioned them against a more modern high end pair of floor standing speakers, and these won. They are musical, and really strong on bass; they need angled stands, and I still sometimes have to dial down the low frequencies on the EQ. I also love how they look, with those metal grills.

Here's someone else's pic:

View attachment 1609789

3 ways, non ported, two 8" woofers, 94 db sensitivity blah blah blah...

Walnut veneer and metal grills ?

So they sound great and look stunning just sitting there: win - win situation. Great choice

Did you get the stock stands or are you improvising?

Nader393

Reaction score
3 ways, non ported, two 8" woofers, 94 db sensitivity blah blah blah...

Walnut veneer and metal grills ?

So they sound great and look stunning just sitting there: win - win situation. Great choice

Did you get the stock stands or are you improvising?

Stock stands for these speakers are hen's teeth. If found, it's rarely without a set of speakers attached. So aftermarket stands of correct height and angle are available and reasonable, which is what I did.

As for turntables, I just never got into them. I also like cars and motorcycles. I especially like them from the '70's-'90's (same era as tapes, go figure). I have no serious interest in Brass Era/Pre-War, and hot-rods, but can appreciate them and understand people's obsession with them. I see turntables the same way. Though I won't rule out getting a nice PL-530 or 570 someday to round out my collection.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stock stands for these speakers are hen's teeth. If found, it's rarely without a set of speakers attached. So aftermarket stands of correct height and angle are available and reasonable, which is what I did.

As for turntables, I just never got into them. I also like cars and motorcycles. I especially like them from the '70's-'90's (same era as tapes, go figure). I have no serious interest in Brass Era/Pre-War, and hot-rods, but can appreciate them and understand people's obsession with them. I see turntables the same way. Though I won't rule out getting a nice PL-530 or 570 someday to round out my collection.

Funny thing about turntables: I have no real love for them either. I feel no joy gently lowering a stylus to a disc. Back when records were a thing (as opposed to vinyl :lol:) as soon as I bought an album I would tape it and then put it away. Records were only useful for mixing and as a teenager I had a pair of paper route funded used SLB-10s and a Gemini mixer in my parent's basement. I get your focus on tapes. It seems normal to me.

That being said I like the idea of a turntable and have a decent amount of records. I also appreciate the aesthetics of a nice looking turntable like a Pioneer PL-1250 or a Luxman PD-444 :drool: but the majority of the music that I listen to is stored on my nas and my turntable's place on the shelf has been usurped by a monitor....for now.

Last edited:

Nader393

Reaction score
I have the patience to load a magnetic tape into my 10.5" RTR, if it means I can listen to 3 hrs of my favorite music recorded in high fidelity (per side), but I don't see myself carefully loading a vinyl album onto a $3K machine to listen to one or two tracks of my favored music per 30 min. side.

It's just me and my unrefined musical taste, because I like a lot of one-hit-wonders. For example, I'm currently listening to every variation of "Der Komissar" that Amazon HD can stream to me (through my Topping D50S DAC). Laugh if you want, but to a guy who grew up in the 70-80's, this song played loud on my system is glorious.

HD streaming services are a revelation for me. I'm compiling a list of music that I'll be recording onto RTR tape. Best of the best will go onto 7" reel (90 min. per side), and the background stuff I like that I want to play endlessly will go onto 10.5" reel (3 hrs. per side). I have a bunch of NOS still sealed Maxell tape reels in both sizes waiting for this.

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20210516_020412.jpg

I had forgotten how big this beast is. No matter. This behemoth will soon be rescued from its backroom basement purgatory and restored to its former glory

Last edited:

Nader393

Reaction score
View attachment 1610513

I had forgotten how big this beast is. No matter. This behemoth will soon be rescued from its backroom basement purgatory and restored to its former glory

?. Is that a Sansui G 9700? And why is it being hidden away? I love the symmetry of the Sansui receivers.

I don't know how much you're into monster receivers, but if you're interested, this is a great site for an introduction to the major players:

Last edited:

Nader393

Reaction score
Just tore into my tape deck for repairs. Glad that there are still parts and schematics for it.

B6C256B3-170E-4020-B9C6-8DBA453BD687.jpeg

Swapped out some worn out belts and drive tires, and now have to send off this little idler clutch mechanism to the only guy in the country who can rebuild them.

CAB9DF87-4B1B-48CD-87E7-A47A24074D16.jpeg

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
?. Is that a Sansui G 9700? And why is it being hidden away? I love the symmetry of the Sansui receivers.

I don't know how much you're into monster receivers, but if you're interested, this is a great site for an introduction to the major players:

It's my father's and I blasted that thing throughout my teenage years. To make a long story short it will be mine as soon a I buy him a replacement receiver. The Yamaha he likes runs a piddly $300 but is on back order everywhere so until the replacement is available the Big G will sit in his basement office

Good trade, no?

Edit: about 20 minutes ago he made it sound as if he was going to "let" me leave with it and and he would buy the replacement. TBH he is a prime candidate for Sonos but he would be just fine with a 2 channel 250w reciever with streaming capability

Last edited:

Nader393

Reaction score
Your Dad is generous! That's a $2,000 receiver, if in excellent condition, and if you can find one. These monster receivers (Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz, Kenwood, Technics, etc.) have all shot up in value over the last 10 or 15 years.

This famous old picture is showing over $20K (and about 350 lbs) of receivers.

monster stack.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads