• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
v2RbhX9.jpg

Had an old Technics SL-BD20 that belonged to my late grandparents sitting around the house Picked up a vintage Sansui receiver (it's basically a Sansui 6060) to play records on. I set it up on a bookshelf next to my desk, ran a RCA cable to a computer hooked it up to a set of Bose 301s that I had kicking around.

It's budget but still quite lovely

I eventually want to get either a Marantz 2285/2285b, a Sansui 8080/9090, or a Sansui G8000/9000 receiver. Not sure about speakers yet
Um how you gonna play your CDs?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
252FC55F-0032-4105-8AEA-07E81794B455.jpeg

Found this Thorens 124 mk2 on Craigslist. Got the plinth off eBay. Using the Schiit Mani as a phono stage for now. Thinking of getting a moving coil cartridge but cartridge-tonearm-phono matching seems complicated, to say nothing of installing a new cartridge.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
AF what’s the rest of your rig these days?

I just started dipping my toe into vinyl. I found a restored Thorens TD124 mk2 on Craigslist. Using a Schiit Mani because it’s cheap

Main rig is Audio Research Reference gear with Wilson Audio Alexia 2 loudspeakers, PS Audio DirectStream two-box stack, VPI Scoutmaster (with 3D arm, HRX mods, Analog Drive System and Iso-Acoustics feet), Revox A77 Mk. II reel to reel.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Main rig is Audio Research Reference gear with Wilson Audio Alexia 2 loudspeakers, PS Audio DirectStream two-box stack, VPI Scoutmaster (with 3D arm, HRX mods, Analog Drive System and Iso-Acoustics feet), Revox A77 Mk. II reel to reel.
Have you hear PS audios new stellar phono preamp? Seems to be getting a lot of buzz.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Um how you gonna play your CDs?

I can't:rotflmao: Most of my cds are sitting in milk crates in the storage area in the basement and I rarely see them much less play them however I have couple hundred gigs of music stored on my NAS. I have an older pc that is dedicated to legally downloading music ;) so I ran a connection from soundcard output so I can play it all through the receiver.

I stumbled across a guy in Poland who has my same exact receiver (it's a rare model) but he is a much better photographer than I am :confused2:

polish 550 1.jpg

polish 550 6.jpg
polish 550 7.jpg

I picked up a cool old Teac cassette deck that has a nice walnut case. The cassette sits at a 45° angle and there is a light that illuminates it from above. Right now all it does is sit there and look pretty until I replace the belts but sometimes I hit record & pause so I can watch the VU meters dance to the music

teac a-150.jpg

I've been experimenting with LED bulbs. Right now the tuner section is a royal-ish blue while the meters are some sort of blue-green/aquamarine. The colours looks better and more uniform in person

20210104_224013.jpg

That being said I think the blue is a little too intense. I'm going to go with emerald green for the tuner and natural white (close to stock colour) for the meters. Will find white LED bulbs for the tape as well

Last edited:

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Decided to take advantage of the Sonus Fabre trade-in scheme and upgraded to a pair of Serafinos. Incredibly wide and stable soundstage and great range when paired with my Devialet 440

R-O-T

D7D7CA99-B8B5-4CB1-9DFD-37FCAEC16AD6.jpeg

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Devialet is beautiful design, particularly the volume control remote.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Devialet is beautiful design, particularly the volume control remote.
The remote is fantastically tactile, nothing like turning that volume knob. But it does rather lack in functionality

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve given up caring what a remote looks like as long as it has a great connection

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
System updates:
  • Isolation: Just picked up some IsoAcoustics pucks and finally bit the bullet on Gaia IIs (have not yet installed them).
  • Cables: Swapped out my USB for a Core Power Diamond USB and a USBe Perfect box (don't love the idea of USB "de-crappifiers," but such is the world of living with USB) (still testing / assessing).
  • Mods: Thinking of modding my PSA DS Dac Sr. to add upgraded transformers, which feedback suggests is good investment in sonic improvement.
I'd like to move to optical for the network signal with some of the SGC products, but dislike the idea of adding all of the separate external power supplies and already have my NUK. Even two OpticalModule Deluxe units plus a 300W LPS adds a bunch of "stuff" to the gear and takes me away from the ideal of fewer boxes in the chain.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A refurbished Revox PR99. Playing some 10.5" 15 ips tapes that I'm going to pretend are master copies.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
System updates:
  • Isolation: Just picked up some IsoAcoustics pucks and finally bit the bullet on Gaia IIs (have not yet installed them).
  • Cables: Swapped out my USB for a Core Power Diamond USB and a USBe Perfect box (don't love the idea of USB "de-crappifiers," but such is the world of living with USB) (still testing / assessing).
  • Mods: Thinking of modding my PSA DS Dac Sr. to add upgraded transformers, which feedback suggests is good investment in sonic improvement.
I'd like to move to optical for the network signal with some of the SGC products, but dislike the idea of adding all of the separate external power supplies and already have my NUK. Even two OpticalModule Deluxe units plus a 300W LPS adds a bunch of "stuff" to the gear and takes me away from the ideal of fewer boxes in the chain.
Very nice! I Have Gaias under my Serafinos and they made a real difference. Bit of a bugger to install though

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have an optical module connected to the opticalrendu and I agree it is more spaghetti the deal with. Innuos is a one box alternative. I borrowed a friends Innuos SE and it sounds nice, though a different presentation from the rendu. Nuno at Innuos prefers dealing directly from the noise from the Ethernet connection. He believes the noise from the optical connection is just a different set of problems.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm about to inherit a Sansui G-9700 from my father

1614331324033.png

picture from the interwebz

No nothing happened to him. The old man is still very much alive and kicking. Hell he's probably in better shape than I am

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads