• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If I can set up a TT, anyone can.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any recommendations on beginner guides to vinyl setups? I have an inexpensive setup now. I want to learn more. I see mentions of things like stylus force gauges and the like. I'm pretty clueless, and my initial google searches yield things involving wireless speakers as frequent recommendations which doesn't seem quite right for analog audio.
Too many variables to even begin to be honest. I have a range of turntables from the novelty old Sony PS-F9s and F5s, to the nice to look at but average sonics Gramovox vertical turntable, to my currently used TTs - the Yamaha GT-2000L and a Technics SL-10. I also have a stack of LP12s to restore (10 years and counting). Then you have to consider the other components and most important your listening environment. I generally don't sit down and listen to music, it's mostly background music to me and I'm fine with that. You need to find your own level.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too many variables to even begin to be honest. I have a range of turntables from the novelty old Sony PS-F9s and F5s, to the nice to look at but average sonics Gramovox vertical turntable, to my currently used TTs - the Yamaha GT-2000L and a Technics SL-10. I also have a stack of LP12s to restore (10 years and counting). Then you have to consider the other components and most important your listening environment. I generally don't sit down and listen to music, it's mostly background music to me and I'm fine with that. You need to find your own level.
Yeah as a dilettante myself, I would say don’t shy away from an automatic or
Semi automatic TT. The purists won’t like it, but I would have records spinning for days if it wasn’t for the auto-off feature.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Crazy. I was following a Sony PS-F5 auction and it ended at 1,241 USD. That's more than I paid for my boxed PS-F9.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yay. I 'restored' my Linn Sondek LP12 today. It's an old basic one - Valhalla PS, Linn Basik Plus tonearm and currently a AT95E cart/stylus. I bought it about 12-13 years ago, and haven't touched it for at least 5. Previous problems were slow to start - sometimes needing a push, the platter would sometimes make scraping noises as though it was sitting too low, it was also very weight sensitive - I couldn't use my record weight that has a spirit level in the middle. Then last week, I thought I'd see how it was comparing to my current TTS - a Yamaha GT-2000L and a Technics SL-10. However I found the motor wasn't really turning, it was making efforts but only turning one degree or so at a time.

So today I decide to change the PS to the Hercules II board I've been meaning to install for years. Easier than I thought, but the motor is still the same. So I also change the motor, and great, it's moving smoothly now. I cleaned the spindle well and put new lubricant in. I tightened the suspension screws and the platter scraping has gone. Armed with google, a printed protractor and a stylus force gauge - I finally manage to setup the tonearm properly. I even sorted out the faulty lifter which was super simple. And after all that, it's running fine. I can even use my spirit level record weight. Apologies to the vinyl masters, this probably sounds so silly but I'm quite chuffed to have a working LP12 again.

I have a couple of plinths and tonearms that I've accumulated. Now perhaps I can finally do what I've been meaning to do for years, and build another more luxe LP12.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think using a weight on the Linn is bad for the suspension...

Linn are an exercise in frustration, today it’s perfect, tomorrow something will be off again. I had a pretty nice one with the Lingo, Ekos and Keel and I gave up on it.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know if it's bad, but it doesn't like any extra weight. There's a smartphone app that shows you the RPM when you place the phone on the spinning platter. Before my adjustments, it would just bring the platter to a halt. After my adjustments, the phone showed bang on 33.3. I just used the weight to check that the TT was level (with the spirit level).

My LP12 is old and of base configuration. It sounds fine, but then so does my Yamaha GT-2000L which has direct drive, quartz lock and is rock steady, or my Technics SL-10 which is so convenient to use. My future project will use my stone plinth, and one of my tonearms either the Ekos or the Ittok that was refurbished by Audio Origami. I have a Lingo (1) but am considering the Mober DC motor.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the solidity and drive of the Japanese tables appealing. There are some really nice Denon tables out there too, they’re rock solid performers.

I guess the Linn was more finessed... but I won’t revisit it any time soon.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I needed some speaker wire to connect my newly acquired Yamaha NS-1 Classics to my Yamaha MX-2000. I was looking at various options - there's some crazy stuff out there. This multistranded/ multibraided stuff is weird to me. After all the 'research', I've just decided the best option is to trim a length off the Naim NACA5 cable that came with my LP12 (along with a pair of Linn Index speakers). These cables are 8 and 7 metres respectively, too long for my needs and probably doesn't help the sound by being so long. So I'll get a set of speaker cables for my Yamaha system and also 'improve' the sound of my other system.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your cable runs should be the same length. If you want a good cheap wire try Belden.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Somehow I read that as '********'.

Anyhow, I picked up a few short lengths of used speaker cable, including one chunky blue Zonotone Blue spirit, each red and black cable is made up of two gold coloured and two silver coloured small cables. I tried to fit on some Nakamichi banana plugs, but the thickness of the wire meant that I couldn't screw the screws in sufficiently to get the covers on. So I went nude (oh dear). Sounds good, but I couldn't say if it was defniitely better than that super thin speaker wire that came with some cheapo midi hifi sony speakers (ones that don't actually have connectors at the back).

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I took delivery of a pair of Spendor SP-1s today. I didn't realise how big they were! I thought they'd be the size of my Linn Indexes that they were going to 'replace'.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hooked them up and I like them. Big speakers and big amp help to make a nice effortless sound as they say.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sold the speaker system before the last move and happy with headphones for music these days. Never messing with analog sources again either. Streaming FTW.

IMG_1987.jpg

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Omega Male nice set up. I almost bought the Ayre QX5 twenty to go with my system but opted for the PSA DAC Sr. I have a Schiit multibit Gumby 2 with upgraded USB in my headphone rig. Pretty much 100% streaming as well - though I still have maybe 1500 CDs.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads