1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Just bought a Linn LP12 Sondek off ebay. My step up from a Dual CS503 that I got during my student days almost 20 years ago! Looking forward to playing with it, but secretly I'm not sure how much difference I'd notice, not having elevated speaker cables and all that [​IMG]

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

The Linn is a classic table. You will enjoy that, elevated cables or not. [​IMG]

3. tlmusic

tlmusic Senior member

Just bought a Linn LP12 Sondek off ebay. My step up from a Dual CS503 that I got during my student days almost 20 years ago! Looking forward to playing with it, but secretly I'm not sure how much difference I'd notice, not having elevated speaker cables and all that [​IMG]

I also have a LP12. I think it sounds truckloads better than a Dual, although the Dual is no slouch itself. You're gonna hear sounds on your records you didn't know were there!

Linn turntables are very easy to damage in shipping. Hopefully the seller knows how to pack it right. Also, it would be good for you to find a Linn dealer near you to offer set up and advice. I know I depend on my dealer to keep my 28-year-old turntable rockin'.

One of the beauties of the LP12 is the company keeps offering upgrades that allow you to keep the same table and substantially improve the sound.

Check out the Cirkus and Trampolin upgrades, if your table doesn't already have them. There's also the Keel upgrade, http://www.linn.co.uk/Keel but that's big bucks. It transforms the table into one of the best in the world. The Keel demo my friends and I heard at the Linn dealer was jaw dropping.

What kind of tonearm did it come with?

Congratulations on your new 'table.

4. tlmusic

tlmusic Senior member

The Linn is a classic table. You will enjoy that, elevated cables or not. [​IMG]

Yes--Elevating cables is at best a subtle improvement. It's not a bad idea...

However, with a Linn 'table, even little things like paying attention to how level the 'table is will make an astonishing, very noticeable, improvement.

5. Artisan Fan

6. kronik

kronik Senior member

7. A Y

A Y Senior member

8. rpatrick

rpatrick Member

My two amps worth:

Records: Lots of british 12" EP, single and LP imports from the 80s and 90s, with some jazz -- davis, brubeck, coleman, 60s samba-jazz

System (open for pic)
    • Turntable - Systemdek IIX with systemdek arm and Audio-Technica OC9 MC cartridge
      with: Herbies Audiolabs platter cover and weight/clamp - great value
    • CD - ARCam Delta 170 Black box and DAC
      with: Herbies Grungebuster II cd ring
    • Pre - Perreaux SM2 Class A
    • Amp - Muse Audio - Muse 100
    • Dynaudio Audience 50s

Originally purchased with PSB 300s for $3,000 CAD back in 1995 (?) on consignment from Audio Excellence in Toronto.

Added the Dynaudios later...

Don't get to listen to it much any more with two kids under 6. haven't made that headphone investment yet!

9. Miguel Antonio

Miguel Antonio Senior member

I have a simple stereo system. I would like to get a Bose (Are those good?).
    I also like LaMusika speakers from Acapella. Maybe I'll should get the latter.

10. Artisan Fan

Bose are generally not good.

11. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

What kind of tonearm did it come with?

Congratulations on your new 'table.

Thanks, I haven't got it yet but according to the auction description, it's a Basik. I may hunt for a Aikito or Ittok, I'm not even thinking about a Ekos. Some say nonLinn ones are pretty good too, but I believe they're a bit more fiddly, new armboard etc. Anyway, one step at a time. I'm going to pick up the turntable myself when I get time. Auction says there are BNC connectors which sort of confuses me. Comes with cheapie Linn Basik speakers too, which are probably better than my current Wharfdale delta 30s [​IMG]

12. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Do you have any upgrades to your TurnTable? Like acrylic platter etc. I am highly skeptical of the benefits, but would like to hear first hand account if possible. Thanks

13. Artisan Fan

Do you have any upgrades to your TurnTable? Like acrylic platter etc. I am highly skeptical of the benefits, but would like to hear first hand account if possible.

Thanks

I'm running stock right now and it has an acrylic platter. Sounds great. I will get the outer ring weight at some point.

14. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Audiophile talk bores me, so I won't get into the specifics of my set-up, but my CD player (the best I've ever heard) might surprise some people:

[​IMG]

15. thepataphysician

thepataphysician Senior member

kenwood reciever that i use as an ipod input
    sony tape and cd players - that I shoud just disconnect because I never use them
    technics sl-1200
    infinity minuette speakers (5 + a sub)

I got the whole lot off craigslist for $75, leaving me with more to spend on clothes.

16. Artisan Fan

Audiophile talk bores me, so I won't get into the specifics of my set-up, but my CD player (the best I've ever heard) might surprise some people:

[​IMG]

You need to get out more. [​IMG] There are much nicer CD players although some PSs are decent sounding.

17. tlmusic

tlmusic Senior member

Thanks, I haven't got it yet but according to the auction description, it's a Basik. I may hunt for a Aikito or Ittok, I'm not even thinking about a Ekos. Some say nonLinn ones are pretty good too, but I believe they're a bit more fiddly, new armboard etc. Anyway, one step at a time. I'm going to pick up the turntable myself when I get time. Auction says there are BNC connectors which sort of confuses me. Comes with cheapie Linn Basik speakers too, which are probably better than my current Wharfdale delta 30s [​IMG]
    Regarding tonearms, I've been through three different ones with my LP12. It came with an old SME with a damping system. It did not do the 'table any favors, so I dumped it and got a used Akito. Huge improvement... When a used Ittok came along, I put that on and got a huger improvement. You may want to look for a well cared for, affordable Ittock. It was Linn's top-of-the-line tonearm before the Ekos came along. The Ekos is still incredibly expensive. I would recommend trying an Ittock as it is reasonably close in performance for a fraction of the cost. Many Linn fans with very high-end systems still use the Ittock. Also, the Ittock can support a top-quality cartridge, if you so desire. (many other tonearms are not rigid enough) The beauty of the Linn is that you can keep upgrading, as your budget allows, and it keeps getting astoundingly better. But, stick with all Linn stuff on your turntable. Lots of people like to mix and match 'table parts, but the results I've seen have not been so impressive. I've found Linn really knows what they're doing, and if there is a viable upgrade, they will offer it. Have fun with the LP12!

18. tlmusic

tlmusic Senior member

I'm going to pick up the turntable myself when I get time.

Oh yeah...VERY IMPORTANT

That's a smart idea picking up the LP12 yourself. Here are Linn's instructions:

"We recommend that your LP12 be transported in its original packaging. The outer platter must be removed and placed in the bottom packing tray and the inner platter removed and placed in the top tray. The counterweight should also be removed from the arm. The deck should then be placed in its original packing, with the arm and cartridge removed. Under no circumstances should the deck be shipped with the arm fitted to the turntable. The red bearing cap should be fitted to prevent oil spillage. Please note: when re-packing the turntable, remove the two bottom cover screws which are located between the turntable feet. If these screws are left in position during shipping, they will damage the rim of the platter."

At the very least you MUST pad the inner platter so it does not bounce around at all when you move it. Otherwise you will have a very expensive repair on your hands.

19. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Is there someone you're trying not to offend? Lets be honest, Bose sucks.

20. Miguel Antonio

Miguel Antonio Senior member

[​IMG]