What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Any suggestions for an amp/preamp/etc...? I found a pair of JBL L100t's on Craigslist for cheap and I figure it's about time I got into sound systems.

2. supafly

supafly Well-Known Member

I use B&O computer speakers and I have both of their headphones for most of my music listening . I know the price is high but they put a lot of time and money into design. I would suggest the headphones to any one.

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Any suggestions for an amp/preamp/etc...? I found a pair of JBL L100t's on Craigslist for cheap and I figure it's about time I got into sound systems.

Depends on your budget...what do you want to spend?

I like a lot of classic used gear for beginners...you can find some gems on Audiogon.

4. Borrelli

Borrelli Senior member

Main system currently packed up until we move house:
    47 labs shiragaki transport
    dCS 972 D/D converter (pro-version of the Purcell)
    dCS 955 A/D converter (pro-version of the Elgar plus)
    Audio Research LS16MKII line stage
    Audio Research VT100MKII power amplifier
    Jean Marie Reynaud Offrande speakers
    Acoustic Zen cables
    Solidtech rack of silence

For the time being, I have to make do with headphones (Grado, Audio Technica, Sennheiser) on a pc or mp3 and a couple of Vita audio R1's around the house for radio. Otherwise I have some older gear in the attic that I will probably use to build up some systems for the kids or for friends sometime.

If I have some more space, I'll try some vinyl on a Thorens TD145 I have with a Creek phono stage. I would like to try some computer audio sometime. Maybe also build a nice tube headphone amp myself.

5. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

47 labs shiragaki transport dCS 972 D/D converter (pro-version of the Purcell) dCS 955 A/D converter (pro-version of the Elgar plus) Audio Research LS16MKII line stage Audio Research VT100MKII power amplifier Acoustic Zen cables Solidtech rack of silence ^^^ Yes. Hell, yes!

6. Artisan Fan

Main system currently packed up until we move house:
    47 labs shiragaki transport
    dCS 972 D/D converter (pro-version of the Purcell)
    dCS 955 A/D converter (pro-version of the Elgar plus)
    Audio Research LS16MKII line stage
    Audio Research VT100MKII power amplifier
    Jean Marie Reynaud Offrande speakers
    Acoustic Zen cables
    Solidtech rack of silence

For the time being, I have to make do with headphones (Grado, Audio Technica, Sennheiser) on a pc or mp3 and a couple of Vita audio R1's around the house for radio. Otherwise I have some older gear in the attic that I will probably use to build up some systems for the kids or for friends sometime.

If I have some more space, I'll try some vinyl on a Thorens TD145 I have with a Creek phono stage. I would like to try some computer audio sometime. Maybe also build a nice tube headphone amp myself.

I have an Audio Research VT-100 amp myself. Love it. [​IMG]

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Ended up not going with the Paradigm center channel. Picked up a very lightly used (cosmetically perfect) Klipsch ksc-c1 for $60 instead. Probably not audiophile approved, and yes, I know that it's an older model, but it's in great shape and I am a sucker for the Tractrix horn.

8. audiophilia

I have an Audio Research VT-100 amp myself. Love it. [​IMG]
    Here's my VS 110 during a particularly demanding passage. [​IMG]

9. Artisan Fan

10. dr.no

dr.no Senior member

I'm now running full Maggie 5.1 (2.6/MCCC/MC1) + ML Depth i (high quality sub btw). Thinking about switching out my Lexicon gear for Theta (Dreadnaught/Casablanca) just for the sake of switching and to increase front/center wattage wattage which is currently 140/ch.

Anyone with experience?

11. Artisan Fan

I'm now running full Maggie 5.1 (2.6/MCCC/MC1) + ML Depth i (high quality sub btw). Thinking about switching out my Lexicon gear for Theta (Dreadnaught/Casablanca) just for the sake of switching and to increase front/center wattage wattage which is currently 140/ch. Anyone with experience?
    I'm impressed with the Theta gear but its not so great on 2 channel listening compared to other components at their price point in my experience. I think the company has had financial troubles as well.

12. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

Recently I have been puzzled by one fairly recent development in Audio ;namely SPS (separate power supplies).
    My BS radar went off when I saw numerous Audio makers start making claims to improve "....." - insert your audio home-made term, due to expertly designed separate power supply. Multiple amp and pre- amps as well as turn tables are now available with SPS for improved so and so...
    What say you? True brake through or just another metal box to sell.?

13. Artisan Fan

Recently I have been puzzled by one fairly recent development in Audio ;namely SPS (separate power supplies).
    My BS radar went off when I saw numerous Audio makers start making claims to improve "....." - insert your audio home-made term, due to expertly designed separate power supply. Multiple amp and pre- amps as well as turn tables are now available with SPS for improved so and so...
    What say you? True brake through or just another metal box to sell.?

My experience is that separate and beefier power supplies do make a nice difference. It depends on the manufacturer and product but it is especially true in amps and preamps and CD players. Likely true for turntables as well but my VPI comes with a fairly beefy PS already.

14. audiophilia

My experience is that separate and beefier power supplies do make a nice difference. It depends on the manufacturer and product but it is especially true in amps and preamps and CD players. Likely true for turntables as well but my VPI comes with a fairly beefy PS already.

They've been doing it for years in Europe. The English swear by it, the late Julian Vereker, especially.

15. audiophilia

Cool pic Anthony. [​IMG]

Cheers. One of my guys took it. I'm a useless photog. [​IMG]