What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. BRIMSTONE

BRIMSTONE Well-Known Member

Currently have three systems 2 listening and 1 home theater.
    System 1: is a Linn Classik (intergrated) with Kef iQ3 bookshelf speakers in the kitchen.

System 2: is Musical Fidelity A1008 CD transport, Audio Research SP16L tube pre amp, Audio Research VS110 tube amp, audioquest sterling cables, and Sonus Faber Grand pianos.

Home theater System (vitally a 7:10): Receiver Pioneer SC-07 (wished I had bought the SC-09TX instead) 3 pairs 7006 definitive technology speakers (with 8" subs bulit into the bottom of the speakers). Sonus Faber Home Center channel speaker. 2 REL Q401 subwoofers at front 2 REL Q108 at the back. Panasonic AE 2000 projector.

What I want..mmmmmmmmmmmm. (if I won the lottery!!!)
    B&W Nautilus Prestige (Snails)
    4 sets of Mark Levinson 33 reference mono blocks
    Krell Evo 505 SACD/ CD transport
    Krell Evo 202 Pre amp.

What I most likely will end up with in a couple of years.
    Sonus Faber Amati speakers to replace the Grand Pianos

2. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I have a friend who put a pair of Nautilus speakers in his art gallery. I don't know what I love more, the sound or the looks! I'm stuck with my CM1's though [​IMG]

3. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

^^^

Style AND substance.

4. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

No I cant. Either I'm going to spend $100 on a center and $100 on a sub, or I'm not. Aside from the $106 HK receiver I just bought, those are the two most expensive parts of the entire stereo system. The surrounds I'm getting are pretty routinely praised for sounding like much more expensive $300 speakers. I'm getting them for around $30 a pair. There is a large waste of money than happens between $30 a pair and $300 a speaker that I have no interest in exploring.

I don't really care that no movies are mixed in 7.1. I have a 7.1 surround receiver and I want seven speakers and a sub.

I saw the Paradigms. They are one of the brands I'm looking at. I'll check out the Axioms.

Yes, I'm familiar with all the "brands" on AVS. I read it too. Like I said, AVS is mostly not helping me figure out which one I am going to buy because of information like in your first paragraph. I'm going to buy a center channel for under a hundred bucks whether you think I should or not, because I can. I could care less about all the reasons it's not "worth it" or whatever. It's worth a hundred bucks. No more.
    If nobody ends up giving me and recommendations, I'll probably just end up with something from Craigslist. [​IMG]

Currently I watch movies with a 4 speaker stereo setup with AIWA boom box speakers as my rear channels. So... Spending $300 is not cheap. I am not going to save up for a bunch of speakers that I play at low to moderate volume in a 12x12 room on a 25" Dell monitor. I don't really give a shit about audiophile nonsense. I want something nice that will last a while and doesn't look or sound like shit. I will be moving the gear into a different room sometime this year. I want to spend less than $100 on a center. I want to spend less than $100 on a sub. Seemingly nobody in the world has a recommendation on this.

I find this amusing. [​IMG]

For good reason. [​IMG] Anyway, there is a large gap between $30 speakers and "audiophile nonsense." Either way, I don't pay attention to anything in that price range so aside from what i've already said, I don't have any recommendations.

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

For good reason. [​IMG] Anyway, there is a large gap between $30 speakers and "audiophile nonsense." Either way, I don't pay attention to anything in that price range so aside from what i've already said, I don't have any recommendations.

What's the "good reason"? You seem to be unaware that there are possibly cheap speakers that outperform expensive ones. Maybe the general rule is that expensive speakers are better, but it is not an absolute.

You kind of sound like an audio elitist.

6. A Y

A Y Senior member

No movies are mixed in 7.1 btw, so you're really not missing out on anything by only having 5.1.
    Actually many have been. More importantly, many movies when transfered to BD or DVD go back and use the original material to completely remix the soundtrack, often for 7.1 on BD, so what you get at home is quite different than the theater. Lord of the Rings on DVD is one early example of this except it was for 6.1. And even with 5.1 material, 7.1 can sound better if you have good steering logic and matrixing, just like how you can improve 2-channel material on a 5.1 system with a good surround algorithm (ie. Logic 7 or Dolby PLII). --Andre

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

And even with 5.1 material, 7.1 can sound better if you have good steering logic and matrixing, just like how you can improve 2-channel material on a 5.1 system with a good surround algorithm (ie. Logic 7 or Dolby PLII).

How do you think the HK AVR-254 stacks up in this regard? I liked it because it came with a mic for room calibration and it was cheap. But aside from knowing the "brand names" of Dolby, and Pro Logic, and etc. Is Logic 7 really that good? I've never had an HK before, so I'm not familiar with it.

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

How do you think the HK AVR-254 stacks up in this regard? I liked it because it came with a mic for room calibration and it was cheap. But aside from knowing the "brand names" of Dolby, and Pro Logic, and etc. Is Logic 7 really that good? I've never had an HK before, so I'm not familiar with it.

PLII and L7 are the two best widely available matrixers. It's good to have both, and I think the HKs do, because they are pretty different and work well on different material. L7 is pretty aggressive about moving things to the surrounds and can sound pretty exciting, but can sometimes generate bad-sounding artifacts. PLII is more conservative and keeps things in front more than L7 --- it's pretty hard to trip up, but it's more subtle. People switch between the two depending on what they're listening to.

--Andre

9. armorarmylt

armorarmylt Senior member

10. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

PLII and L7 are the two best widely available matrixers. It's good to have both, and I think the HKs do, because they are pretty different and work well on different material. L7 is pretty aggressive about moving things to the surrounds and can sound pretty exciting, but can sometimes generate bad-sounding artifacts. PLII is more conservative and keeps things in front more than L7 --- it's pretty hard to trip up, but it's more subtle. People switch between the two depending on what they're listening to.

--Andre

Cool. Thanks.

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Actually many have been. More importantly, many movies when transfered to BD or DVD go back and use the original material to completely remix the soundtrack, often for 7.1 on BD, so what you get at home is quite different than the theater. Lord of the Rings on DVD is one early example of this except it was for 6.1.

And even with 5.1 material, 7.1 can sound better if you have good steering logic and matrixing, just like how you can improve 2-channel material on a 5.1 system with a good surround algorithm (ie. Logic 7 or Dolby PLII).

--Andre

I'll take your word for it on the number of titles with >5.1 discrete channels. That said, I think most people would be better off spending more money on fewer speakers than stretching a budget over additional speakers. Proper placement of 5.1 is already difficult enough for most people that don't have dedicated theater rooms. Most pics i've seen of "theaters" from non-hardcore theater nuts have pretty serious compromises in speaker placement that will probably only be worsened by adding an extra two speakers on the sides...

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

I'll take your word for it on the number of titles with >5.1 discrete channels. That said, I think most people would be better off spending more money on fewer speakers than stretching a budget over additional speakers. Proper placement of 5.1 is already difficult enough for most people that don't have dedicated theater rooms. Most pics i've seen of "theaters" from non-hardcore theater nuts have pretty serious compromises in speaker placement that will probably only be worsened by adding an extra two speakers on the sides...

I claim that if you have the room for it, 7.1 actually makes speaker placement easier: two directly to either side, and the rears at +-150 degrees. It will put speakers at all the right places to give the human hearing system proper localization and envelopment cues. 5.1 is a compromise from the perspective of the human hearing system.

--Andre

13. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I could only find one Axiom center channel in my price range on Ebay. I'll keep my eye on it, but unless I win it, or someone has another suggestion, I'm probably looking at a Paradigm center as my second best bet. Thay look pretty massive though. I might have to put it under my monitor. Haven't decided on a sub yet, but I'm looking at some Polk's.

14. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I claim that if you have the room for it, 7.1 actually makes speaker placement easier: two directly to either side, and the rears at +-150 degrees. It will put speakers at all the right places to give the human hearing system proper localization and envelopment cues. 5.1 is a compromise from the perspective of the human hearing system.

--Andre

I dunno, I just think that an extra 2 speakers adds to the WAF problem for a lot of people. They end up with bose cubes on bookshelves placed much higher than they should be, or speakers right against the walls. It's pretty hard for most people to fit 7 speakers and a sub in their living rooms. A lot of people have windows or an open space on one side, and a lot of wives/gfs don't like speakers in the middle of the floor.

I could only find one Axiom center channel in my price range on Ebay. I'll keep my eye on it, but unless I win it, or someone has another suggestion, I'm probably looking at a Paradigm center as my second best bet. Thay look pretty massive though. I might have to put it under my monitor. Haven't decided on a sub yet, but I'm looking at some Polk's.

Paradigm is my go to brand for lower-priced recommendations. I'm sure you'll be happy with it if you go in that direction.